[EN][GUIDE]Jax, The ArmsMaster

thefear

24.jpg

Cost: 3150 18px-IpPoints.png or 585 18px-RpPoints.png

I created this guide due to lack of Jax guides out there, please submit opinions because even I'm still trying to better my Jax, but this is what has been successful for me recently, and I'd thought I'd share it.

Jax: Because You Can

I. Intro-Jax-tion

NOTE: This was brought to my attention. This strategy is mainly for Summoner's Rift, because that is all I play. I'll go ahead with some testing on Twisted Treeline because 3's is different than 5's, especially the progression time and what not. Probably the order in which you get the items is going to change for Twisted Treeline, maybe shoot for Guinsoo's Rageblade first, I don't know, but that'll be my project for the week instead of caring about school.

You can try to get away with this build for TT, and if you do, post your results and how it went, help me compile data to draw some conclusion as to what adjustments can be made in order to help people in their conquest of that devilish forest.

Certain heroes can have different playing styles. Jax can be one of them, either Damage or AP, this guide covers pure skull ****ing damage Jax. AP Jax is for people who like waiting on cooldowns when they could rather be swinging your giant pole of JUSTICE at people trying to **** with you.

Jax is a carry, not a tank, if you try to tank with Jax, go kidnap a hooker because that’d be a better use of your time because you are not playing Jax right and thus doing the equivalent of putting your fist up your rectum.

Jax is hit and miss. You can suck some games or you can **** faces some games, it’s all a matter of luck, skill, and team composition. Which is ok, you’re not going to win them all. I started out poorly as Jax but practice makes perfect for making ***** deepthroat your lamppost.

II. Pre-Jax

Masteries – 21/9/0 easily, get Nimbleness in the Defense tree, it is truly Jax’s best friend when it comes to pursuing fodder on the run and you dodge minion attacks, thus making you go faster. Make sure to grab the Magic Pen mastery as it will greatly increase the damage you do with Relentless Assault, regardless of who you're hitting.

Runes – the only obvious choice should be your yellow runes, THEY MUST BE DODGE OR ELSE. Armor Pen/Attack Speed/CDR are all fine, place them accordingly to maximize your ability to put holes in people.

Quints - whatever you are lacking, Flat HP is always great early game, but don't be afraid to experiment with your Quints because you will benefit from them vastly.

Summoner Spells to abuse:

Teleport: Gets you to places faster, always a plus

Exhaust: Great for stupid people attacking you near a tower early game, also good choice while in pursuit or if a Warrick pops up and is bugging you. Besides, it’s Blind AND Slow, what’s not to like about it?

Ghost: Now that Flash sucks, Ghost has been thrown into the spotlight yet again, it's always a great escape/pursuit/initiate skill.

Ignite: I have had a change of heart with Ignite, especially since the nerf to Clense (RIP). And with the addition of Vladamir, the reduced regen/healing really hurts.

Summoner Spells to turn the other cheek on:

Heal/Clarity: You’ll be too busy raping people with lifesteal to care about heal and mana is for people who aren’t raping people with their basic attack/Relentless Assult

Smite:Ccould be useful for getting buffs, but not that great.

Rally: You’ll be parading around too much to care about it

III. Jax-isms

I’m going to quickly break down Jax’s skills so that you have a better understand of what you have at your fingertips. Mind you these are directly copy/paste from LoL site.

(Unique Skill)

Equipment Mastery - Jax's prowess with weapons and armor increase his fortitude as he gains equipment:

Jax gains 3 health per point of Attack Damage received from items.

Jax gains 2 health per point of Ability Power received from items.

This is what separates the Jax from the children, and is one of the reasons why I decide to go AD rather than AP, you get more health, which allows you withstand more hits which allows you to land more hits which allows for more usage of Empower/Counter Strike/Relentless Assault. It’s seriously OP, because if you think about it, your Bloodthirster will get you 400 extra hp once you fill all the stacks with minion kills. Treat the Jax with treats (see III. Inspector Jax-et) and he’ll reward you thusly. With recent patch, reduced down to 3hp/1att from items, still a viable option, though it does pain me to know that bloodthirsters are only 300 hp now.

Q

24-1.gifLeap Strike - Jax leaps toward a target. If it's an enemy, he smacks it in the face with his lamppost.

Jax leaps towards a target. If it's an enemy, he attacks it and deals an additional 50/75/100/125/150 (+0.7) magic damage.

Cooldown 17/14/11/8/5 seconds

Cost 65 Mana

Range 700

Great skill, great range, great fight initiator, its how I always open fights because it really does take a big chunk out of their health when you follow that up with your initial basic attack, also great for comboing with Empower or if you have a Counter Strike proc up.

W

24-2.gifEmpower - Jax's charges his weapon with energy, causing his next attack to damage an enemy. RESETS AUTO ATTACK TIMER!!! VERY IMPORTANT

Jax charges his weapon with energy, causing his next attack to deal 75/110/145/180/215 damage (+0.4 of AP and AD)to an enemy.

Cooldown 9/8/7/6/5 seconds

Cost 20 Mana

Range 300

There has been some significant change to this skill with the 1.0.0.103. Empower no longer does AoE damage, but only to a single target now, and it got a serious buff to cancel out its AoE. Honestly, this is some serious buff, especially because it now resets Jax's auto attack timer, so it can be used after a hit to speed up the raping process. I honestly love this new rework, because I wasn't too keen really on grabbing it early, but now I grab one in it early so that if I go to gank, I can get a free extra power swing in while people still don't have the strength to withstand such punishment.

E

24-3.gifCounter Strike - Jax's prowless allows him to dodge enemy attacks frequently. After avoiding an attack Jax can quickly stun surrounding enemies.

Passive: Increases Jax's dodge chance by 10/12/14/16/18%.

Active: Jax stuns surrounding enemies for 1 second and deals 80/110/140/170/200 (+0.6) magic damage to them.

Usable only within 7 seconds of dodging an attack.

Cooldown 5 seconds

Cost 60 Mana

Range 400

24-5.gifPassive = More Dodge = More Time Alive = More Hits = More Awesome

Active = it’s a stun, what’s not to love about it?

This is especially fun if you happened to play a Prot Warrior in WoW because it works exactly like Revenge but without the AoE stun…or any stun whatsoever. This is great to combo in with Leap Strike to effectively burst someone to death in a matter of microseconds. A blue sphere will quickly surround Jax which is a visual indicator that Counter Strike is available for use. Combine with Nimbleness talent tree and profit.

R

24-4.gifRelentless Assault - Jax's greatest talent lies in his ability to grow stronger with every attack. Each successive attack increases his attack speed temporarily, and every 3rd blow will devastate his target.

Passive: Jax's basic attacks increase his attack speed by 6/10/14% for a short duration, and hitting the same unit 2 consecutive times enhances Jax's next attack for 140/170/210 (+0.7) bonus magic damage.

Attack speed stacks up to 10 times.

Active: Grants 20/35/50 + Jax's dodge percent in bonus magic resistance for 5/6.5/8 seconds upon activation.

Cost: 80 mana

Cooldown: 60 seconds

In case you somehow lost your ability to comprehend what you just read, let me sum up. Every third straight strike, you do A LOT more damage, and each time you hit someone, you hit faster and faster and faster. Combine with Guinsoo’s Rageblade and profit.

It’s really simple, more hitting = more powerful hitting = making opponents assume fetal position upon seeing you charging at them

The new active is simply AWESOME and gives Jax some serious survivability against his nemeses....CASTERS!

pop before going in against casters and PROFIT

Now that you know what you’re dealing with, time to decide when to get it.

First skill should always be Leap Strike, afterwards, try to cycle between all three with a little more emphasis on Leap Strike because its your “nuke”, and remember to grab Relentless Assault whenever you can.

IV. Inspector Jax-et

Remember, this is for Attack Damage Jax, not AP Jax, so please remember that.

Ok, there are many different roads you can go down with this, but I’ve found some success in the early game with buying the Cloth Armor first and then some health pots. Jax has a low armor early on, so it will definitely help, plus it provides some serious extra dough to buy a great stock of health pots to counteract your absence of lifesteal for the moment.

Stay in your lane long enough to grab the greatest pair of boots for Jax and the only boots for Jax you should be getting, the Ninja Tabi. It has DODGE for Christ’s sake. And the armor always helps.

Also try and grab a Vampiric Scepter during that trip, you’ll need it later.

Next, aim for Guinsoo’s Rageblade. It’s like Riot made this thing for Jax, cause it has Attack Damage AND Ability Power (this is usually the only AP I get for the game, besides the extra AP from Archmage’s Savvy in the Attack tree of Masteries), plus it’s on hit stack of attack speed and AP really is beneficial with Relentless Assault and its stack of attack speed. (Buy the Pickaxe first, then Blasting Wand for it)

After that, grab a BF Sword and turn that into a Bloodthirster, for epic damage and life steal.

Usually a game might end at this point, but if not, aim for items that you think you need.

(LoL is a very situational game, with the Situation (good ol' Mike) constantly changing (and fist pumping and hanging with grenades), so you have to play it and not let it play you)

Phantom Dancer is good, but you can never go wrong with a Banshee’s Veil.

Other acceptable items would be Atma’s Impaler, Last Whisper (for the heck of it, plus can’t go wrong with AD, Attack Speed, and Armor Pen), Mandred’s Bloodrazor (if the opposing team is heavy on tanks), Infinity Edge (though other items are more vaulable than this, because you can get (correct me if im wrong) both Atma's and LW for the price of IF, and that's a hefty dps difference between them)

Another option: This way is if you have the moneys to do it because the other team is stupid enough to not surrender, Zhonya's Ring OR Abysmal Staff, mainly because it does help your relentless assault which does become the bulk of your damage eventually, plus Jax's ratios aren't that horrid YET (I still think they need to be tuned down a bit because of the nature of Jax being a melee character, or at least converted to being a % of his attack damage, like Pantheon's main damage skills.) so it will help a lot when your getting an extra 96 damage for a Leap Strike from Zhonya's Ring ALONE and 84 for Relentless from Ring ALONE. Adds up. But it all honesty, stick with AD items, get another Bloodthirster if you want (about same price as Zhonya's and you get more lifesteal, hp, and AD from it)

saw this somewhere else and I thought I'd like to give a shoutout to it.

the all knowing Heat N' Serve showed something that I would normally think unorthodox but I really want to try it because of the numbers.

He says he gets a second Guinsoo's Rageblade

After some matches of doing that, you can put out more damage faster because of how they double stack, its a good viable option to help reach fast attacking while getting more AP.

If you're bored, go ahead and try it, its actually fun.

V. Jax On

Early game: as usual, try not to get killed. Not that hard. Seriously. Avoid taking mid, because they’ll send a range person in who could easy kill you early on, thus giving their carry the advantage.

Try to lane with someone with a stun, it makes it advantageous for you when you can get in a few extra swings after a leap strike/empower and they stun to keep them still for you.

Remember to blue pill out and grab items whenever convenient, and to heal up of course.

Mid game: by now you should have Guinsoo’s Rageblade, which means you are ready to venture out into the world and destroy the enemy team’s first born children. It’s very simple, gank ******* who are too busy trying to push. Pop Empower, Leap Strike in, profit. Also, if you see a large group of enemy minions gathering in a lane, run to it and kill everyone single one of them. Remember to grab Lizard or kill the ***** who has it, it’s extremely essential to Jax and downing people faster and pursing people after landing a Leap Strike because of its slow.

Late Game: If the enemy team hasn’t surrendered yet by the 25 min mark, then that’s fine, make them regret that decision by castrating their offense every moment that you are alive. Remember to buy your items, grab Lizard (and even Golem for the heck of it), and to keep reminding the enemy team that you are still large and in charge, pillaging their morale by constantly slaying them with your mighty Lamppost O’ Doom.

Remember that Jax is only good if his team is good, Jax is not a tank and you shouldn’t treat him as one nor should he be the only melee champion on your team.

That’s all I can really say and/or do, the rest is up to you.

Happy Jax-ing!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Recommented Items

1054.gif3047.gif3124.gif3005.gif3078.gif3046.gif

• 4 weeks later...

LoL , shouldnt you ALWAYS but a Hextech Gunblade on Jax ?

I mean , jax has no slows = sux chaser

Agreed about Hextech Disagreed that he sux as a chaser

he has his leap stike + Phantom Dancer + boots = 450 speed

Its rly easy get away or chase down oppoments with jax :D But a/w u have ur stun and enormous amounts of damage they wont get away ;)

P.S. I build him 1: Dorans shield(for the beggining) 2: Ninja tabi boots 3: Guils Rageblade 4: Hextech Gunblade 5: Phantom Dancer 6: Madred's Bloodrazors and in doran's shield slot i get Black cleaver :) try it out ;)

• 7 months later...