Lineage 2 in Unity

Hey folks. I've been porting a part of Lineage 2 to Unity as a personal project. I thought some folks here might be interested since the process didn't seem to be well documented anywhere.

Please note that it's just a hobby project documented for educational reasons. I'm not planning on releasing anything.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 9

1 hour ago, Maxtor said:

I really like. You should reconsidering sharing it with our team.

I'm open to the idea. I thought it would be neat using Unity as a map editor, actually.

Edited by Carow

That's really nice! If you want, hit me up here, or on discord (911reg) and i might be able to give you a few tips on how to work with staticmeshes in a better way (you can basically turn the whole map into a single staticmesh if you want)
As for the missing floors and stuff like that, it's because most floors (and some walls) are made with bsp brushes, for example, here's Talking Island without terrain/staticmeshes:
image.png

And here's that big floating floor:
image.png

image.png

Edited by 911reg
  • Like 2

What an amazing job you've done there! Congratz! Maybe you should consider going harder on this, because the potential is huge. If you need help on anything hit me up!

On 6/15/2023 at 1:57 PM, Carow said:

On 6/15/2023 at 1:57 PM, Carow said:

Hey folks. I've been porting a part of Lineage 2 to Unity as a personal project. I thought some folks here might be interested since the process didn't seem to be well documented anywhere.

Please note that it's just a hobby project documented for educational reasons. I'm not planning on releasing anything.

I will be 1st in line to buy when available!

You could sell smaller releases(areas like primeval island, hellbound, blazing swamp, fog, or towns, catas/necrops, characters, armors, weapons, skills) while finishing complete client.

Would also like to see how mass pvp looks/performs with unity👍

Edited by xZEUSx

I did consider making this into a a server-compatible client. However, I lack a thorough understanding of L2 server architecture and networking.

If anyone with such knowledge wants to talk, please let me know.

Edited by Carow
  • Like 1

Looking at this again, I forgot to mention that the terrain problem in Elven Ruins is due to the Terrain Visibility tool (basically you can turn a portion of the terrain 'invisible', so you can make cave entrances and stuff like that).

For example, here's Elven Ruins with and without StaticMeshes
Screenshot_1.jpg
Screenshot_2.jpg

For more context, here's the documentation:
https://docs.unrealengine.com/udk/Two/EditingTerrainMaps.html#Visibility

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1