Lineage 2 in Unity

4 hours ago, xdem said:

You are not recreating L2 in Unity. You are recreating the MAPS.

What you are doing is PoC and will remain unfished forever, and simply because recreating Lineage 2 is much more than importing / improving maps in Unity.

Think of client side code, networking, game data, effects, sounds which is truly A LOT, trust me.

To do all this in Unity will require an enormous man-hour waste to script, with probably inferior performance to the good old native L2 binaries.

I will not even discuss about incompatibility with L2J/L2OFF networking, you will also have to remake the server because scripting the current networking would be a dumb idea on such a project.

Overall, yeah nice effort / graphics.

To be fair, he did note several times he was not completely remaking the game. It was just to showcase what is possible using Unity. 

He basically showed every potential dev enough details to fully recreate the world, which is step 1. Most people would fail figuring out how to script the placing of all the static meshes due to confusion on converting unreal units for pitch/yaw/roll to Unity. 

He also explained in enough detail how to apply all the original terrain textures to a Unity terrain splat map. That saves TONS of time once you automate it. Then you can just swap out textures if you don’t like the originals as he did in his second video. 

As far as networking, that is something he chose not to do. You don’t have to do it from scratch, there are already existing solutions to this. I have a working client and server that I can log in to that is backed by a db and allows creation of everything you need to add skills, items, quests, instances, etc.

You are right that there is so much more to do. That’s been discussed previously in this thread. It doesn’t mean it’s impossible but it would require some people getting together to do it. I don’t think he’s aiming for that though as it seems this was more geared to starting a YouTube channel. 

I would actually be disappointed if someone who was engaging in this effort tried to make it compatible with the existing server. Those game mechanics are so tired and overplayed. L2 could have been so much more of a skill-based game with more focus on combat skills and counter skills and engaging mobs. Instead it can be summed up in two ways:

1. Make sure you get sword singer and blade dancer buffs and then hope you crit harder and faster than your opponent while spamming CP pots.

2. Kill a seemingly endless amount of (helpless) mobs to reach max level after wasting a year of your life and then subclass and do it all over again. 

You’d think NCSoft would have learned after all these years of getting their asses kicked by Blizzard, but nope. Instead what do they do with Lineage 2M? The same damn thing. That’s why it’s rated 2.9 stars and no one plays it anymore. 

Edited by cgrahamseven
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, xdem said:

You are not recreating L2 in Unity. You are recreating the MAPS.

What you are doing is PoC and will remain unfished forever, and simply because recreating Lineage 2 is much more than importing / improving maps in Unity.

Think of client side code, networking, game data, effects, sounds which is truly A LOT, trust me.

To do all this in Unity will require an enormous man-hour waste to script, with probably inferior performance to the good old native L2 binaries.

I will not even discuss about incompatibility with L2J/L2OFF networking, you will also have to remake the server because scripting the current networking would be a dumb idea on such a project.

Overall, yeah nice effort / graphics.

The title is sensationalist on purpose for YouTube. I'm more or less reimagining the gameplay while trying to stay true to the visuals.

I never planned on remaking the whole thing. The main objective with the video was stated in part 1 - indulge in nostalgia and document the process.

As for networking, (if I wanted to push that far) I'd use an off the shelf solution. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/1/2023 at 10:06 AM, irk said:

I think you need to team up with similar projects that were inspired by yours,

https://gitlab.com/shnok/l2-unity/-/tree/main?ref_type=heads

Save yourself from the insanity ;)

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2023 at 4:06 PM, irk said:

I think you need to team up with similar projects that were inspired by yours,

https://gitlab.com/shnok/l2-unity/-/tree/main?ref_type=heads

That's really nice. I'd love to get in contact with them.