Dedicated VPS vs Dedicated Server

Horse

Question

Hello guys.

I've been browsing through the possibilites and offers of some hosting companies, especially OVH.

And my question would be the following:

Let's say I have a High Five server with 400 - God forbid 800 players. (for exemple).

Would be a VPS cloud with 12 or 24 GB Ram enough and stable?  Or should I invest in a 32- 64 GB dedicated machine, if so why? I mean, L2 servers have been around for more than 10 years, long before these 32 gb+ dedicated servers. Yet, I can see quite a few servers with 500 or less online playesr that use such dedicated machines.

Thanks in advance.

dedicated 32GB for me is better because vps is a part of a dedicated and reseller give limit for this machine

like disk speed, ram, cpu.. but with dedicated you have full statistics

1 minute ago, Own said:

I think that  you forgot to mention CPU/Network/SSD, a good server can't be based only on RAM....

If the dedi have SSD, and good CPU (4 or more cores) and network more than 500mb/s It's perfect. He ask for ram so i answer.

Vps 8/12G is more than enough, but as mentioned above, its a virtual environment, so you don't know who and how uses another part of it. While dedicated is only for yourself.

You could give a try for vps, if shit happens, you can move to dedi. 

Thank you all for your answers. It was very helpful.

I would have a few more questions though.

1: How much the location of the dedicated server matters, For instance, most of the community would be from europe (most likely). Would a dedicated  server located in the US a bad choice then, or doesn't really matter?

2: I also have some concerns regarding the VPS for the above mentioned reasons, however I hardly found any host so far where I could rent a 12 -16GB dedi machine with included DDOS protection. Do any of you know any hosting companies where such configuration is available?

3: Sinister Smile mentioned 500mbps network which i find quite a lot. I mean, back in the day servers with 1-3k players had 100mbps and there were no laggs. Or did you say 500 Mbps so it can handle minor DDOS attacks without any actual DDOS protection, I'm a bit confused here.

3 hours ago, Horse said:

I hardly found any host so far where I could rent a 12 -16GB dedi machine with included DDOS protection

With 8GB of RAM, you will be fine as well. If you set 4G for your gameserver, it's more than enough. So, there is no need to focus on high ram value.

you can open a VPS server with 400 on without lags with 100mb (unless you get ddos attack vps usually has this protection) you only need 8 gigs ram to open navicat/eclipse-compile if you want +geodata but it will be almost full ram (you can upgrade your pack later if you get more than 500 online) the how fast it can be depends on the following reasons

1) if you are not lucky the other VPS that are set on the same machine downloading (lag)

2) the other VPS in the same machine are using CPU (spikes)

3) your CPU is not atleast dual core

4) you dont have SSD that means lag on read/write data that claims DB mostly

5) VPS Crash (its more common than dedicated to crash)

6) your pack how much ram uses if has memory leaks and so on.

I recommend VPS is cheap for start and if you have big problems (wich i doubt) then upgrade or ask support to move you.

6 hours ago, Sinister Smile said:

1. Just don't buy vps/dedi from Africa xD
2.https://contabo.com/?show=vps
3. Just don't buy less than 100Mbps 

Wow, Even the dedicateds are quite optimal. Thanks a lot,

2 hours ago, SweeTs said:

With 8GB of RAM, you will be fine as well. If you set 4G for your gameserver, it's more than enough. So, there is no need to focus on high ram value.

Yea, I have the initial heap size set to 2gb on my own PC. and 4 for max.  But Im uncertain if it would be enough with 300-400 players, for instance. With a 16GB RAM, 2GB inital and 8 GB max should suffice, right? Or should it be less so garbage collection would happen more often?

2 hours ago, Nightw0lf said:

you can open a VPS server with 400 on without lags with 100mb (unless you get ddos attack vps usually has this protection) you only need 8 gigs ram to open navicat/eclipse-compile if you want +geodata but it will be almost full ram (you can upgrade your pack later if you get more than 500 online) the how fast it can be depends on the following reasons

4) you dont have SSD that means lag on read/write data that claims DB mostly

I complile and work on the files on my own pc anyway, and I assume i can use navicat on my pc to remotely connect to the database on on the VPS or dedi. Or is it a bad idea for any reason?

And one last question: I have some experience with ubuntu, used it for a few weeks, but thats all. So personally I would prefer to have win server, since I'm more comfortable with it. Are there any actual risks or major differences regarding the server's performance or stability? I have experienced one or two random crashes on my own pc (Win 7) since I started to work on my project (in 6 six month or so). One of them was a DB connection loss other i don't remeber, but that was all.

Edited by Horse

Ofc 4G is enough for high online.

Windows consumes more memory, about stability, I guess there is no big deal. So, you can take any os you want. Yeah, Navicat and remote connection (tunneling) is ok to manage.