Jump to content

Grand Opening vs Beta


MrTitanas
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello people, let’s share opinions about theres god damn grand openings and beta test thing! I personally think that  beta is lame thing l never played at beta before server start and it shows server owners insecurity and lack of work testing a server,  plus as a player for me it runed excitement and for some reason l got bored of server before he even opened 🙂 And l notice that many servers in theres days choose Not to run Beta 🙂. What is your opinion folks about it? 🙂

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Beta is the period that the "Server Owner" with the "Community" test a few things fix some bugs and so on.

It's an important period before the launch I think.  So, ye it's very good that some servers use that before they open. Imagine to open without "Beta Testers" and when it's launched to have tons of bugs people cry people leave simple as that.

 

Even big companies like CD PROJEKT, or DICE (Creators, of Cyberpunk2077 and Battlefield 2042) they fucked up and now they are running like hell to build an updated patch to fix all the damage because they didn't test or because they rushed it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Vision said:

Even big companies like CD PROJEKT, or DICE (Creators, of Cyberpunk2077 and Battlefield 2042) they fucked up and now they are running like hell to build an updated patch to fix all the damage because they didn't test or because they rushed it.

Well in this case if you rush and not prepare project this Beta test server not gonna help if there 1k known and unknown bugs coz you will fail in timeline by fixing it and people will get annoyed, so in my opinion need time and staff to prepare project before it hits Daylight , but l see your point it make sense, but l still sceptical about it 🙂👍

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am also not a fan of beta servers when it comes to Lineage 2. They are often missused as an excuse for not doing things properly. The community is used as a guinea pig to catch stupid shit the "developer" hasn't thought of due to laziness. If you are making a server, make it right and test shit yourself.

Nowadays these 1 week private L2 servers fail mainly due to the following reasons:

1. The server is either run by someone who has absolutely 0 clue of what they are doing.

2. Or it is run by someone who actually knows how to code, but gets lost between the 1000s of code lines and forgets what actually feels fun to play.

 

If you create something, PLAY THROUGH IT. Play your own server! Not with added gear or easier drops and currency, play it as a player would. Do you think it's fun? Good, now invite someone to also playtest it but don't tell them anything. Will they discover and understand the things you want from them? Because this experience is exactly what a new player randomly joining your server will go through.

 

If you are honest with yourself and you belong to the 2nd category, do you actually have fun playing on your own server? Or do you just create things that look impressive or good from a designer point of view and think to yourself "well, I wouldn't play it, but they will probably like it", then you are just filtering for gold in a Californian river 170 years after the gold rush ended in America.

Edited by Romotheone
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Vision said:

Beta is the period that the "Server Owner" with the "Community" test a few things fix some bugs and so on.

It's an important period before the launch I think.  So, ye it's very good that some servers use that before they open. Imagine to open without "Beta Testers" and when it's launched to have tons of bugs people cry people leave simple as that.

 

Even big companies like CD PROJEKT, or DICE (Creators, of Cyberpunk2077 and Battlefield 2042) they fucked up and now they are running like hell to build an updated patch to fix all the damage because they didn't test or because they rushed it.

You can't compare such betas with a lineage 2 private server beta.

 

People nowadays don't want to play beta because of the wipe and most of them are like, why should we join a beta when there's a wipe and all the farm for nothing.

 

Actually sad to see that people think like that because like you already stated, if you really like a server to play on then you should join the beta to test the features they provide to make it a better server.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, splicho said:

if you really like a server to play on then you should join the beta to test the features they provide to make it a better server.

 

This is the most important thing that crossed my mind and that was the point of my thinking. With all the help you can get you can make the server better without wasting time just fixing things. Actually, the best is to launch without bugs but if you are making something from scratch it will have bugs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, DrNoob said:

Only Admin noobs or Admin scammers do not have a BETA period.

Admins that don't open a BETA server = LIVE server is a BETA server.

Also, BETA server allows more time for advertising, promotion of server, and engaging with players and clans.

Let's be honest... a beta is a soft-launch. Practically a live launch with the sticker beta on it. It is by far not as useful as it is said to be, because it sooo heavily depends on the players that join this beta. It depends on them finding mistakes first and what guarantees it that they will even report it to the team?

 

I have the exact opposite opinion. Only someone that is not convinced by his own work opens the server as a beta first.

Having actual playtesters who join for the only purpose of helping to find mistakes and bugs should totally remove the need for a public beta.

 

A beta server doesn't mean that you can't advertise, promote and engage with your community beforehand or instead. A beta is an excuse for the lazy, missing ambition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

16 hours ago, DrNoob said:

Only Admin noobs or Admin scammers do not have a BETA period.

Admins that don't open a BETA server = LIVE server is a BETA server.

Also, BETA server allows more time for advertising, promotion of server, and engaging with players and clans.

Not really l saw plenty project who gone very popular without Beta 🙂 But for one thing u are right that it helps to promote a server and let people know whats are comming. 

18 hours ago, Romotheone said:

I am also not a fan of beta servers when it comes to Lineage 2. They are often missused as an excuse for not doing things properly. The community is used as a guinea pig to catch stupid shit the "developer" hasn't thought of due to laziness. If you are making a server, make it right and test shit yourself.

Nowadays these 1 week private L2 servers fail mainly due to the following reasons:

1. The server is either run by someone who has absolutely 0 clue of what they are doing.

2. Or it is run by someone who actually knows how to code, but gets lost between the 1000s of code lines and forgets what actually feels fun to play.

 

If you create something, PLAY THROUGH IT. Play your own server! Not with added gear or easier drops and currency, play it as a player would. Do you think it's fun? Good, now invite someone to also playtest it but don't tell them anything. Will they discover and understand the things you want from them? Because this experience is exactly what a new player randomly joining your server will go through.

 

If you are honest with yourself and you belong to the 2nd category, do you actually have fun playing on your own server? Or do you just create things that look impressive or good from a designer point of view and think to yourself "well, I wouldn't play it, but they will probably like it", then you are just filtering for gold in a Californian river 170 years after the gold rush ended in America.

You are reading my minds 😉👍 Well said + 1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Beta is necessary for projects that open first time because hundreds of things need to be tested and admin alone won't be able to do it. After first opening, I dont think that beta is necessary. 

 

However from my experience betas are useless. Players report only few problems and they don't test main things that need to be working. They just login, buy max gear, make everything max ++, take augs, kill some mobs and logout. 

 

From my experience is much better to hire 2-3 experienced players, pay them money and they will test everything much better then 100 casual beta players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, zemaitis said:

 

From my experience is much better to hire 2-3 experienced players, pay them money and they will test everything much better then 100 casual beta players.

 

your experience with 30 people online servers you had ? useless info

Link to comment
Share on other sites

TIP:
If you have to decide between 2 servers, about which to join. Always join the one that had or will have Beta 🙂 

Edited by MrPro*
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, xdem said:

 

your experience with 30 people online servers you had ? useless info

 

30 people online? I guess still better then that nonexistent project link in your signature? How much onlines u have? Post us some ALIVE link, let's see big boy what you have.

 

What started as trolling is now looking pathetic, get some help. You got no clue what you are talking about. All you do is shit on people in this thread.

 

If you had a shit day/life maybe take a xanax or something? No need to attack others in order to feel better about yourself. 

 

 

Edited by zemaitis
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, xdem said:

Early Access, Beta, Alpha are all necessary when you have very active development, nobody cares about your shit opinion

Go hide under the rock you little troll 👌😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Beta is useful to polish things and get reports. Testing things alone is almost impossible, you always forget something. It's also time you waste than you could use to solve issues of your server.

 

Obviously you can edit things on the fly, during live server, but a really stupid issue can actually fuck up your whole server start from the very beginning. That can go from wrong economy, to an unfixed exploit, to a not enough good hardware... Such things can be fixed AFTER a server launch, but most of the time players won't be that much patient and will simply migrate to another server if your server got issues.

 

I would even say lower your rates are, more the need of a beta you would need - x1 being the worst of all. A simple quest being repeatable instead of non repeatable is actually enough to fuck your server economy.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

AdBlock Extension Detected!

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our members.

Please disable AdBlock browser extension first, to be able to use our community.

I've Disbaled AdBlock