Are C4 servers actually played?

Or is it just some fake shit im seeing in these BR/AR servers?

I find it really hard to believe peeps still play that and in the thousands "online"

Offline traders, fake players and multiple windows per player create the illusion of a large number of online players on the server. In reality, no more than 200-300 people can play there. For such chronicles (no instance zones, no hunting grounds for high levels), this is enough to make the illusion as plausible as possible.

There are some legendary servers out there such as L2Elite which don't even have a site or a proper download for their system yet they have 1,000 players online easily. Elite was one of the biggest servers and the most successful and each AM cost a fortune. 

I remember +29 and +30 cost like 20.000$ and only 1 guy had it (Canadian). Back when i was playing in 2007 i made a character and i log-in 4 years ago and my character was still there. It never wipe and the population was so big that Aden was super laggy. Blazing swamp had like 500 online PvP players each day. Currently it got a major reduction cause they added customs and big players decided after 15 years to break their items instead of sell or give.

Still i believe if you join you will find easily 1000 people online. 

https://www.instagram.com/lineage2elite/?hl=en

Edited by Kara

Why not?

Some people prefer simplicity or they just don't care to learn more chronicles (me included).

I've never enjoyed any server that isn't C4 or Interlude. Interlude content is not small and with a few modifications (some instances or custom bosses for example) it is the best Lineage 2 game there is, IMO.

I tried playing H5 a few times and I wanted to puke when I looked at attributes/elements shit. I still don't know how they work and not really interested in finding out. Daggers appearing behind you, olympiad with buffs, 3v3 olympiad (???), vesper vorpal dynasty items as if 6 grades weren't enough.

The only thing I like from newer chronicles is the UI, but changing aCis core to support h5 or classic client isn't that hard. Or you can edit IL client to add more functionality.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, An4rchy said:

Why not?

Some people prefer simplicity or they just don't care to learn more chronicles (me included).

I've never enjoyed any server that isn't C4 or Interlude. Interlude content is not small and with a few modifications (some instances or custom bosses for example) it is the best Lineage 2 game there is, IMO.

I tried playing H5 a few times and I wanted to puke when I looked at attributes/elements shit. I still don't know how they work and not really interested in finding out. Daggers appearing behind you, olympiad with buffs, 3v3 olympiad (???), vesper vorpal dynasty items as if 6 grades weren't enough.

The only thing I like from newer chronicles is the UI, but changing aCis core to support h5 or classic client isn't that hard. Or you can edit IL client to add more functionality.

No let me fix your post. 

Some people prefer REAL lineage 2

I code H5 for almost 8 years but let's be honest. Lineage 2 after c4/c5/c6 (even tho c6 is too customized) it's a joke. My fav server although was a C7 (Kamael) called TehGamers back in 2010 

which was mid hard PvP and we had to earn 10 medals per event (2-3 event per day) to buy any enchant or CP. I have to say i liked this server it was my favorite but Lineage 2 for me it's c4. 

HOLY SHIT! L2Elite is still on? I played there when i was a 15-16 yo boi, holy fuck!

Yeah no promises, but i'm thinking of making a bare bones c4, but written in golang or rust. So far golang is winning altho rust is more memory efficient & speedy. I might abandon it like all my shit, but Im feeling a little excited about the challenge & the new shit i'll learn doing go.

Plust C4 doesn't have all the extra bullshits and to a degree it can be streamlined in terms of development & if someone makes a server outta it, and you get a client dev like @Celestine & @deMEV, shit can get really interesting.

Edited by Setekh

48 minutes ago, Setekh said:

HOLY SHIT! L2Elite is still on? I played there when i was a 15-16 yo boi, holy fuck!

Yeah no promises, but i'm thinking of making a bare bones c4, but written in golang or rust. So far golang is winning altho rust is more memory efficient & speedy. I might abandon it like all my shit, but Im feeling a little excited about the challenge & the new shit i'll learn doing go.

Plust C4 doesn't have all the extra bullshits and to a degree it can be streamlined in terms of development & if someone makes a server outta it, and you get a client dev like @Celestine & @deMEV, shit can get really interesting.

Don't do the same fail mistake Elfonab did. All programming languages are the same. Nowadays the microchip your CPU carries can execute processes in nanoseconds. Java, C#, C, C++, Kotlin and pretty much every other language will do the same. You can even write in Go if you want or python it will be the same. 

If you want give it a try to test your skills go ahead but the idea of re-create an emulator in different language for better performance is dumb. 

What i hate in any programmer and it's the reason that i don't want to be one (in terms of find real job) is the competition between people who code. Since a language passed a Turing test, it's perfect. I can't stand idiots who claim python is better because of simple syntax and no var declaration, C++ is faster and has multiple inheritance, or C# has GC e.t.c. Pick a language that fit your style, not to prove it's performance.

Seriously every time i had a conversation with a "programmer" his first respond was "I do code in GO, every other language is trash" and i am simply thinking of "Write down your damn program and shut your mouth off".

So advice from an amateur compared to you. You want to try your skills? Go ahead do it but i doubt if you manage to clone an emulator since it's huge. You will eventually quit. You want just to do it to claim you made a server in rust (which you already do cause you already mention the languages you want to write in), then bad idea. You get excited over a language keep it for your self. In 2 years you might figure out that new language came and you switch to within minutes. 

Conclusion, if you want to start a project pick a simple java base pack and extend it. L2J-Lisvus is a good option and drop movement & geo engine and code them again (that is a major thing), after that every other aspect of the pack is quite okay and i'll be happily to help you in my free time. 

Edited by Kara

But i did it before with other games, to some degree. Performance is in architecture not so much language, you can make it in asm and still underperform.

And about languages:

Kotlin = Java -> BUT! Its less verbose and has really nice utils and you can get up and running really fast, at times it can be slower than java since it has overhead runtime checks.

Go -> is a machine language with a GC with sweeps under 0.5 ms.

Rust -> is basically C but with an awesome compiler and a rich toolkit. (Voted most loved language)

I'm not saying imma complete a mmo server by myself, i'll most probably hit a limit where I can't do it alone anymore. That's why my scope is little, and will be like interpreting of  static data that we already have in l2off and l2j, combat & a completeness of client features, I'm not gonna do quests, epic bosses or elaborate systems, unless someone else wants to make up a team.

Also take my veteran advice, dealing with a small scale server != designing architectures for finleap  companies with 300+ people & collaborators & several banking service providers. And i really wanna get proficient with go thats why this motivates me, if it's gonna help someone fine, if not I learn more go, so i'll be happy at the end.

Thanks for the concern tho :*

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Setekh said:

But i did it before with other games, to some degree. Performance is in architecture not so much language, you can make it in asm and still underperform.

And about languages:

Kotlin = Java -> BUT! Its less verbose and has really nice utils and you can get up and running really fast, at times it can be slower than java since it has overhead runtime checks.

Go -> is a machine language with a GC with sweeps under 0.5 ms.

Rust -> is basically C but with an awesome compiler and a rich toolkit. (Voted most loved language)

I'm not saying imma complete a mmo server by myself, i'll most probably hit a limit where I can't do it alone anymore. That's why my scope is little, and will be like interpreting of  static data that we already have in l2off and l2j, combat & a completeness of client features, I'm not gonna do quests, epic bosses or elaborate systems, unless someone else wants to make up a team.

Also take my veteran advice, dealing with a small scale server != designing architectures for finleap  companies with 300+ people & collaborators & several banking service providers. And i really wanna get proficient with go thats why this motivates me, if it's gonna help someone fine, if not I learn more go, so i'll be happy at the end.

Thanks for the concern tho 😘

You remind my self when i was learning 3D. I was trying to figure out the best software, Z-brush vs Mudbox, 3D's max vs Maya, AE vs Nuke, Thinking Particles vs Vor, Vray vs Corona and i ended up doing nothing. Eventually i realised that all tools get the job done the same way and it's a myth that if a software provide easier access and toolbar it make your life easier. 

Z-brush for instance it's so complicated that they don't have minimize or exit.

It go full screen cause they have no space for minimize buttons:

Gs7wup2.png

So it's not user friendly but if you spend time and doing the work in the "harder" way you receive extra knowledge than having a toolbar doing the job for you, you get a different perspective and more knowledge.

Spending time switching software when all done the job right for me it's just a waste of time. 

But sure i get your idea you want to master multiple languages. Still don't do it in public or be the guy to argue with others. It's annoying. The next person who come to me and tell me Java is slow compared to C++ i'll lock him in a box with a radioactive material and a meter, i'll write on a paper "Schrodinger's box" and i'll embrace the reality that says the content of the box is DEAD!

But java is slow compared to a aot compiled language :D

Also i'd just stick to open source software for 3d, so for asset creation it's blender and for a get up fast game engine its godot.

Also not arguing buds, I'm actually hoping I can get someone as motivated to maybe watch or work with me :)

LE: Here's a short presentation with blender

Edited by Setekh

48 minutes ago, Setekh said:

But java is slow compared to a aot compiled language 😄

Also i'd just stick to open source software for 3d, so for asset creation it's blender and for a get up fast game engine its godot.

Also not arguing buds, I'm actually hoping I can get someone as motivated to maybe watch or work with me :)

LE: Here's a short presentation with blender

Ah please don't show me blender. I quit those stuff long time ago. Last time i was doing FX snow using TFlow mesher in 3D's max and using the new V5 Lightmix and the passes exported in AE CS and generate a whole new snow land with a snowman. Unfortunately i had to quit cause the only bad with 3D and VFX is that it require lots of RAM and CPU or GPU if you use any Ray or idk which i lack. Especially with VRay even with light noise threshold low, L-bounce off e.t.c. required 20 minute per frame. I prefer keep my PC alive than generate some 3-4 second videos for my personal joy.

11 minutes ago, Setekh said:

I have no idea what you're talking about. But ok I guess.

(Dunno what TFlow or AE CS and etc, also i thought 3d max was dead)

TFlow is a new particle engine replacing Thinking Particle which was the industry's standard for many years. It's very fast, it can render using Vray only and accept thread rendering it's also friend user. 

Also no 3D's max won't die. Yes you can use 2010 version and it's the same with the 2022 cause the updates they make are lazy ex. Quad Remesher which is okay but not developing as fast as Blender.

Oh forgot to say Max 2022 has build-in fluid now YAY! As if we didn't use plug-in previously to generate fluids and we needed that feature. 

But anyway we go offtopic and Maxtor's minions will spawn to remind us so. Regarding your c4 project, write it in whichever language you like but do it for your self no for the community's hype or to show off. In the end if you do it in java i might also participate.

Edited by Kara
  • Like 1