Dedicated Server + DDOS protection

2 minutes ago, shakazulu said:

And another question with 60 70 mbps, how many users can play simultaneously?

Assuming no one is ddosing you ~1k players. Each player requires a few KB/s. The server just exchanges bytes or in other words text with the clients. 10 KB/s on average per player means 7500 KB's (60Mbps)  / 10 = 750 players, but that's the no delay theory. If you add some hundred milliseconds delay you could handle ~1500 players.

2 minutes ago, Sail0rMo0n said:

Assuming no one is ddosing you ~1k players. Each player requires a few KB/s. The server just exchanges bytes or in other words text with the clients. 10 KB/s on average per player means 7500 KB's (60Mbps)  / 10 = 750 players, but that's the no delay theory. If you add some hundred milliseconds delay you could handle ~1500 players.

Thanks you!

When I have a reputation I will give my positive point!:dance: Thank you. About VDS have any opinions? Because I am in the dilemma between hyperfilter and stromwall vds already with protection included

1 minute ago, shakazulu said:

Thanks you!

When I have a reputation I will give my positive point!:dance: Thank you. About VDS have any opinions? Because I am in the dilemma between hyperfilter and stromwall vds already with protection included

No problem. From a conservative perspective you will be able to handle at least 500 players with 60 Mbps. When, for example, certain actions happen in-game the server and the client exchange more KB/s. If you have 2 players walking together the server sends info about each player to them. If 1 more player comes, the server will have to broadcast the first two players' info to the third player, but also the info of the third player to each of the first two players. Imagine if those three players teleport at the same time to e.g. a Raid Boss area. The server apart from player info (IDs, coordinates, etc...) will also have to send other packets as well. Sometimes one player will require 5 KB/s at other times 20 KB/s, not to mention that the server also has to download player info and requests, so it's not that simple!

in other words in towns and sieges and events that gather many players you will have some lags but no big deal, first you need to get all this players then when you do, you can migrate your plan in a better one and solve any lag issues.

ps you can open a server with 200 people with even 5 or 10 mbps dual core in 1.6ghz and 4gigs of ram problem always is ddos :)

13 minutes ago, Rootware said:

If you give a choice between only 2 services then this topic look like advertisement, not the question for help.

What would You recommend then?

3 hours ago, Mantosh said:

What would You recommend then?

I recommend don't use unknown expensive services if Amazon with the same price more trusted service. Otherwise need make list with many DDoS protection services and discuss about everyone service separately with their pluses and minuses.

3 hours ago, Rootware said:

I recommend don't use unknown expensive services if Amazon with the same price more trusted service. Otherwise need make list with many DDoS protection services and discuss about everyone service separately with their pluses and minuses.

Makes sense. Thank You, Rootware

@Nightw0lf You are network engineer or what? By reading your latest posts i assume that you don't have a clue about a ddos attack. How the hell you try to advise people here?

Here is what going on with DDoS attacks:

Let's clear on fact, if you will be attacked by a proffesional, you have no luck for sure. You will be down 100%.

Let's go now on the fact about what you can do in order to prevent the smartasses with the stresses who want to attack your server because they want to be pimps when they will grow up.

The only solution for random server owners is that you will rent a good dedicated on a good hosting company. I recommend hyperfilter or stormwall (both tested and guaranteed that you will be fine for basic ddos attacks).

OVH is good too, BUT only if you are smart enough to setup a basic firewall on a linux-dedi server first. There are ovh ddos scripts who bypass their mitigation filters for fun.

Extra Advise: Stop using vps servers as proxies in order to have "extra security", this cannot happen. The only thing that you can achieve with those proxies is to help the attackers to shutdown you faster. 100mbps nic? cmon! Its about 50usd on a simple stresser!

The only way to stop a professional ddos attack is to have many PoPs around the world with 10Gbp/s NIC cards and a mitigation device before your endpoint server. So simply, you need bandwidth.

PS: Of course there are some extra tips/systems which i saw sometimes used by people and they successfully prevented the ddos attacks on their servers, but this is a story for another day!

Edited by Travor

1 hour ago, Travor said:

You are network engineer or what? By reading your latest posts i assume that you don't have a clue about a ddos attack. How the hell you try to advise people here?

i am but what you didnt understand so i can help you.

22 minutes ago, Nightw0lf said:

i am but what you didnt understand so i can help you.

Start with the basic first, define of what it is a ddos attack and then go on the protection methods which someone can do in order to prevent them.

Let's help this community, shall we ?

On 8/25/2019 at 2:58 PM, Nightw0lf said:

ovh, hetzner, reliable strong connections.

https://www.hetzner.com/unternehmen/ddos-schutz?country=de

https://www.ovh.com/world/anti-ddos/

https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/matrix-px

https://www.ovh.com/world/dedicated-servers/game/1901mc01.xml

1 minute by google search, and if you want my opinion if you're bored to search better look for a job.

Btw, you understand that if a big company has a lot of servers and a great bandwidth doesn't give all the bandwidth to a single dedi of 50usd, right? They are doing traffic shaping in their networks for keeping up all the servers. They don't care for your dedi if it will get ddosed, because protection needs resources = money. They can protect you againts home attacks.