Give your server a meaning

In this topic,i would like to give you  My opinion & My suggestions, on how you can create and manage your server,and what you can do in order to keep players. We see a lot of one week servers, and desperate people who can't stay anywhere for long time to play.

Server Creation

*First of all,when you create something,you need to have a purpose.For instance,ask your self why is this server gonna be created for?.. fun,or for showing off your dev skills,or for any other reason.You have to find the purpose that you want to open your server,so you can build it in such a way to meet your expectation and accomplish your purpose.

*Work with a team,find teammates,exchange opinions and work together.Teamwork will give you the chance of having a company,and create a team environment,wich will make your job funnier and easier.Work together in every aspect of server,decide together and it will lead to better results.

*Take your time building your server,and don't hurry.Patience is the key.In order to be successfull you'll need time to adapt and import your server's features,you'll need time to test everything in detail for the better productive result.If you don't want to give time on it,then forget it.

*Give more effort.Yes,working on a server needs a lot of effort and energy,there are no people who can accomplish their goals without giving in their best efforts.If ur not in the mood,or you don't want to give your best then simply let it go.

*Combine Developmenet skills with your Gaming experience.Build,code and modify your server so it can meet your standards of your own experiences as a player.Play the game a lot,grow your experience,and adapt it into the game.

*Do it as you wish,and don't listen to other people.They will always gonna have an opinion,about what's right or wrong to do for the server,others will like,others not.Meaning is you have to create it as you like.No matter how your server will look like,people will always have something to make noise for.

*Don't Copy other Servers Features and Names.Be creative is a must.You can have some similiraties or ideas from other servers,but don't completely copy their whole content.You look low skilled and non productive.

*Pay attention to what people like on your own. Join big servers,check the best time that fit people to play (summer,winter) ,take an idea on what people need and why they play such servers,and use players needs for your own server's advantage.

*Balance (?). In my opinion you cannot balance a server.However,it is possible to work smart,be carefull what stats you improve or low to the game. Before you're going to edit anything,read and learn carefully what EVERY buff/skill effect is and how it's used,and do the same for gear (every ring/jewel/neck/armor part/weapon). I suggest not even edit anything,unless you're going for a custom server.

Gameplay & Management

*Support every single player who would like to ask something,be polite and guide them through your server's gameplay.Treat newbies well and with patience.

*Show your communication skills to players,be active. A good communicator can keep players by being in contact with them every day for many hours,talking for server related things,wasting time with them,being friendly and make them feel they belong on a friendly gaming environment.

*Organize a server programm. Make server Automatically restart daily at some time. Make events work daily and on specific time.

*Prepare players for big events.Announce events planned by staffers earlier,announce big sieges and unique bosses respawn time earlier.

*Modify mobs/bosses drops,make the drop usefull items,but not overpowered

*Don't make a high enchant system. (It would be good if max +12-16)

*Give them a reason to farm,make farm items usefull

*Reward your players daily with some short amount of usefull items,currency. 

*Extend server. Make updates,do additions,make new currency,change areas for farming/pvp,change npcs templates,renew server every two weeks, and update your server while you are well organized,while you know wha changes you'll make and you know how to make them.

I believe that admins in general miss or don't do a lot of these things mentioned above,what are you thinking guys? 

Edited by HarryHoudini

it's all about advertising and fpc. I am here with my friend Sweets cooking pasta and having a conversation about this now , he cooks perfect

Edited by Lioy

58 minutes ago, Lioy said:

it's all about advertising and fpc. I am here with my friend Sweets cooking pasta and having a conversation about this now , he cooks perfect

tfti

*Show your communication skills to players,be active. A good communicator can keep players by being in contact with them every day for many hours,talking for server related things,wasting time with them,being friendly and make them feel they belong on a friendly gaming environment.

That would be nice if players were not as toxic as they are today.

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

That would be nice if players were not as toxic as they are today.

yeap but it seem like players already seen enough till now 

• Upvote 1

In my opinion it's not only on how YOU can give your server meaning, it's more on making players think like they did back in the past.

Back in the past you would find max 10,15 private servers most of them were low to mid (x1-x75) and you would see insanely good activity, i remember back in the past playing on L2Gang (epilogue version) this server had tons of players online, every single zone was if no full almost full of players, on raids before entering the rooms for antharas/valakas/etc we had fights for like 1 hour before joining the raid and the winning clan always going for the boss, the rest days we had some pvp action on the main farm zone and the most hours every player spend on this server was farming.

I remember playing like 6-7 hours per day, some times even more hours if there was a siege or a boss fight because i was on the one of the top 3 clans on server and i was playing there for 7,8 months to and i had full vesper +5 set and some parts of armor +7 and a weapon +8 which was very hard to get since the max enchant was +10 and the enchant rate was like 25-30% and it was more likely to win lotto than getting a blessed there from raid which had the same enchant rate but at least you would save your item.

Tell someone on nowdays to farm like that to get this equipment. They simply won't. Even an x20 server is easier than this server i mentioned.

So it's not only about administrators and servers it's mostly on people.

I would never invest money + time to make something like that, a long term server to get like 10-20 online players and fail it hard and i guess no one will.

The community itself is the problem of all the random administrators opening x9kkk servers with non sense gameplay and they last for 1 month max.

1 hour ago, Designatix said:

In my opinion it's not only on how YOU can give your server meaning, it's more on making players think like they did back in the past.

Back in the past you would find max 10,15 private servers most of them were low to mid (x1-x75) and you would see insanely good activity, i remember back in the past playing on L2Gang (epilogue version) this server had tons of players online, every single zone was if no full almost full of players, on raids before entering the rooms for antharas/valakas/etc we had fights for like 1 hour before joining the raid and the winning clan always going for the boss, the rest days we had some pvp action on the main farm zone and the most hours every player spend on this server was farming.

I remember playing like 6-7 hours per day, some times even more hours if there was a siege or a boss fight because i was on the one of the top 3 clans on server and i was playing there for 7,8 months to and i had full vesper +5 set and some parts of armor +7 and a weapon +8 which was very hard to get since the max enchant was +10 and the enchant rate was like 25-30% and it was more likely to win lotto than getting a blessed there from raid which had the same enchant rate but at least you would save your item.

Tell someone on nowdays to farm like that to get this equipment. They simply won't. Even an x20 server is easier than this server i mentioned.

So it's not only about administrators and servers it's mostly on people.

I would never invest money + time to make something like that, a long term server to get like 10-20 online players and fail it hard and i guess no one will.

The community itself is the problem of all the random administrators opening x9kkk servers with non sense gameplay and they last for 1 month max.

Just write 2 important sentences bro , I can't read all these paragraphs .  I would read that but my schizophrenia fucks my attitude. Lets cook

18 minutes ago, Lioy said:

Just write 2 important sentences bro , I can't read all these paragraphs .  I would read that but my schizophrenia fucks my attitude. Lets cook

just ignore it if ya can't read it it's ok obviously ;p i can't say this with less words, it's a discussion xd

My points would be :

• Don't code everything before your server starts ; make only the barebone, and do as Lineage 2 did (work using chronicles if server is successful).
  • Code a single feature, which would be the main layer and idea of the server. Code around the idea for your extensions.
  • Don't make high rates servers - higher are the rates, faster the players leave. Or if you make high rates, simply put max level and remove the grind part, which means you got other ideas about what to do on your server. The whole point is to level up a character, when your character is top level you got no goal anymore. Or you have to introduce a new metagame.
  • Never use fullbuff and > +16 stuff without hard tweaking core/dp side. Buffs got a duration on retail for a purpose (it is complex to get  all buffs in same time, you need a lot of characters), and anyway formulas don't accept big values (L2J neither). Simply check dvp videos to get an idea about how absurd damages are on retail, with a difference of level/gear. The whole idea of "balance" is because you fucked up the gameplay yourself, so you have to fix what you just broke.
  • If you aren't a developer, don't develop a server. Please. There are enough bad servers around. Take your time, improve your skills, and launch a server when you feel decent.
  • If you never played to MMOs (or only L2), don't develop a server. Please. There are, once again, enough bad servers around. Take your time, play on different MMOs to find what could be integrated on L2 world. See why a MMO fails, and why it is successful. See progression system, and how much time you need to feel "geared" or "high level". Check the other games metagame.

7 hours ago, Tryskell said:

Never use fullbuff and > +16 stuff without hard tweaking core/dp side. Buffs got a duration on retail for a purpose (it is complex to get  all buffs in same time, you need a lot of characters), and anyway formulas don't accept big values (L2J neither). Simply check dvp videos to get an idea about how absurd damages are on retail, with a difference of level/gear. The whole idea of "balance" is because you fucked up the gameplay yourself, so you have to fix what you just broke.

exactly,also though to mention and write this too but forgot to. a maximum anount of 22-28 buffs (depends on rates of server) would be ideal,noone ever cared on this part while developing a server.

Edited by HarryHoudini

11 hours ago, Tryskell said:

• Code a single feature, which would be the main layer and idea of the server. Code around the idea for your extensions.

This is not possible in Lineage 2, except for faction servers. The community of Lineage 2 is just too dumb to be interested in a good storyline with interactive features and gameplay. I would say about 2-3% of the community has played other MMOs and is open minded to new ideas that could work on Lineage 2. Players just want to log in, see familiar stuff and do the same things from the beginning every time, they will most likely ignore any story you try to tell in the server.

People have tried this before, I remember one server where you started in an island and progressed through a story where you could even buy your own clan ships and move them around in the world, fighting with other ships etc. Guess what, it was dead within 2 weeks due to lack of players.

Lets be real , there are X amount of mmos better than l2 , graphics , fps , story , mechanics wise. But ppl still play this old and forgotten game ( im talking about c6 and lower , the real l2 ) cuz of its mechanics in pvp , its very rare that you can pvp / pk some one out side safes zones in other mmos. And wats left of so called " community " chooses to pvp not for story or over all gameplay.

3 hours ago, eddyteh said:

Lets be real , there are X amount of mmos better than l2 , graphics , fps , story , mechanics wise. But ppl still play this old and forgotten game ( im talking about c6 and lower , the real l2 ) cuz of its mechanics in pvp , its very rare that you can pvp / pk some one out side safes zones in other mmos. And wats left of so called " community " chooses to pvp not for story or over all gameplay.

you can't replace some things in your life with anything.I guess this game is on of them for players 

As mentioned above, thing is.. People don't really want to farm, they want pew pew and then.. they get bored. One way or another, you can't really satisfy them.