Emulator Advices ?

Erall

Question

Hello,

I am planning to start a low rate interlude server. I am looking for advices to choose an emulator.

First I need a retail like server with the sources, so I can easily write my own custom code, and fix any bug.

I have seen a lot of interlude emulators, but many of them stopped me because they were coded with Python and Java. To me this sounds bad to have all the scripting stuff made in python, I did not run benchmark tests but I'm quite sure it is going to be slower than a full java server. (If I am wrong, let me know !). Plus it looks ugly to have __init__.py files everywhere, I better like to have a Q000_QuestNameHere.java file.

Then there are some "good looking" servers, which are fully java written, the code doesn't seem bad, and it looks fine in game. Except that there is too much custom things (ie. buffs modified, npcs modified, start zone modified, npcs drops modified, ...) so it looks quite hard to rebuild it to look like retail/official server.

And then there are some "not so bad" servers, which again are fully java written, have some matters with the new Java 8 (expects Java 6), but once repaired, can run and look fine too. But many skills are not very well handled, soulshots are not working, some AI have some matters. I could fix this but which option should I choose ?

So I came here to have some advices, emulators name, etc. so I can start developping my server with a good base.

Also, if you can advice me some non free emulators, I don't know yet if I am going to buy some, but this can be interesting.

Thank you for your time and future informations =)

Edited by Erall

aCis is free and very good l2j project...

It is ratail, stable, without custom shit...

Find here the SVN Link. -> aCis forum

Edited by 'Baggos'

Concerning Interlude, you haven't a lot of choices (I'm aCis project founder btw).

L2JFrozen and aCis launched around the same period of time, L2JFrozen is based on L2JScoria, which is a RU fork, while aCis is based on latest L2J IL revision.

The main differences between L2JFrozen and aCis are :

• they fix what they currently have, while I don't hesitate to rewrite entire pieces of code (last rework : duel system).
  • they kept a lot of customs to be as friendly as possible, while I try to stick to vanilla experience.
  • L2JFrozen got hard time to be maintained, while I'm still here.
  • they try to save the few stability they got, while I can decide to break my own pack if it concerns a big rework (who spoke about skills && scripts ? :P)

About misc projects, you got L2JArchid (based on L2JFree IL), L2JHellas (based on L2JArchid, based on...), and few RU forks, such as Lucera2 (which tbh, I didn't test but RU coding style is, to be kind, - barely readable - and are the first to add retail features but half is wrong).

RU writing style is the main concern about L2JFrozen btw.

I would say the main leaders on IL chronicle is myself and L2JFrozen, at least from what I know.

If you use aCis you have to know it's not fully usable (missing scripts, even if 80% of missing is shared), but still far better than L2J IL. You can read aCis changeset on dedicated topic, you probably will pass some hours to read all.

Finally aCis got a free, outdated version if you want to test and compare with L2JFrozen, in order to make a choice.

On aCis forums you got all changes since almost the beginning if you got nothing to do of your afternoon :P.

Edited by Tryskell

Hello,

Thank you all for your answers, especially Tryskell for this very detailed one.
I tried aCis and I have to say it seems quite attractive.

But I'm still wondering, there is no fully implemented Interlude server ? I mean it is quite old, no one is sharing/selling such a server ? (Expect L2Off which is only available for windows machines and doesn't give the source code afaik)

Basically no. Since when new chronicle appear, they move the development to the actual chronicle. Look at l2jserver. Interlude version was/is a mess, they moved higher and higher and all these chronicles are soo screwed :)

Maybe L2jScripts, russian project, but they ask 700$$ for Int sources :D

Basically no. Since when new chronicle appear, they move the development to the actual chronicle. Look at l2jserver. Interlude version was/is a mess, they moved higher and higher and all these chronicles are soo screwed :)

LOL dont trust these l2jscripts they are bullshitting, they use semi simmilar to lostworld(shared) sources thats acctualy is overworld like server, that is downgraded - long time ago to interlude version(Cause they had that kind of task).

Im starting to think that the only usable stable and functional version of c6 is PTS, with extender. But if you go a bit clearly - even better would be to write own emulator on visual studio(C++) acording to some source that are in share, for simmiliar MMO games like L2, that use allmost the same engine and way of transfering packets and other staff. But that 1-3 month's for a work in a team, to get rly stable result, better then any l2j or even pts in sort of extending and adding new features.

Edited by LightFusion

Their learned their lesson and stick with H5 now though. I would have loved forks such as aCis to be work on L2J to avoid scattering effort, but well not gonna happen.

Since aCis is L2J based, I'll vouch for it too :D

Hello,

I am planning to start a low rate interlude server. I am looking for advices to choose an emulator.

First I need a retail like server with the sources, so I can easily write my own custom code, and fix any bug.

I have seen a lot of interlude emulators, but many of them stopped me because they were coded with Python and Java. To me this sounds bad to have all the scripting stuff made in python, I did not run benchmark tests but I'm quite sure it is going to be slower than a full java server. (If I am wrong, let me know !). Plus it looks ugly to have __init__.py files everywhere, I better like to have a Q000_QuestNameHere.java file.

Then there are some "good looking" servers, which are fully java written, the code doesn't seem bad, and it looks fine in game. Except that there is too much custom things (ie. buffs modified, npcs modified, start zone modified, npcs drops modified, ...) so it looks quite hard to rebuild it to look like retail/official server.

And then there are some "not so bad" servers, which again are fully java written, have some matters with the new Java 8 (expects Java 6), but once repaired, can run and look fine too. But many skills are not very well handled, soulshots are not working, some AI have some matters. I could fix this but which option should I choose ?

So I came here to have some advices, emulators name, etc. so I can start developping my server with a good base.

Also, if you can advice me some non free emulators, I don't know yet if I am going to buy some, but this can be interesting.

Thank you for your time and future informations =)

i can see you still wondering to use free or paid !

how good you want be your server ?

run with free emulator low rate is a high risk but can be successful if you are skilled developer and have much time to work on it and improve

i can see few ppl who are all from Acis team recommend his own project like a free emulator is ok but just to know you will be in big trouble with this project

still much work have to be done there(now they will start blame me :) ) i think you will fail with any free emulator around nvm acis , frozen .....

About to buy IL emulator i really strong recommend you for your Low Rate Server but i cant see any EU paid project around that is really good

i will recommend you to look in RU team for paid IL emulator who are far far better

Ok thank you but I'm probably not going to spend 700$ for interlude sources :)

LOL dont trust these l2jscripts they are bullshitting, they use semi simmilar to lostworld(shared) sources thats acctualy is overworld like server, that is downgraded - long time ago to interlude version(Cause they had that kind of task).

Im starting to think that the only usable stable and functional version of c6 is PTS, with extender. But if you go a bit clearly - even better would be to write own emulator on visual basic(C++) acording to some source that are in share, for simmiliar MMO games like L2, that use allmost the same engine and way of transfering packets and other staff. But that 1-3 month's for a work in a team, to get rly stable result, better then any l2j or even pts in sort of extending and adding new features.

Visual Basic ? I hope this is a joke :D ! But C++ is of course more efficient than Java.

Anyway I am not going to rewrite an emulator from zero.

Their learned their lesson and stick with H5 now though. I would have loved forks such as aCis to be work on L2J to avoid scattering effort, but well not gonna happen.

Since aCis is L2J based, I'll vouch for it too :D

Ahah ok thank you :)

i can see you still wondering to use free or paid !

how good you want be your server ?

run with free emulator low rate is a high risk but can be successful if you are skilled developer and have much time to work on it and improve

i can see few ppl who are all from Acis team recommend his own project like a free emulator is ok but just to know you will be in big trouble with this project

still much work have to be done there(now they will start blame me :) ) i think you will fail with any free emulator around nvm acis , frozen .....

About to buy IL emulator i really strong recommend you for your Low Rate Server but i cant see any EU paid project around that is really good

i will recommend you to look in RU team for paid IL emulator who are far far better

Your answer is interesting, and it fits with what I thought.

Maybe I didn't search enough on the Russian side. But they are probably willing to sell me only the server build without the sources -- if it is Java, it can be easily reversed engineered but it takes some time. And if they sell me the sources, they are going to ask for an unaffordable price (as said above).

Thanks again for your answers ! :)

Ok thank you but I'm probably not going to spend 700$ for interlude sources :)

Visual Basic ? I hope this is a joke :D ! But C++ is of course more efficient than Java.

Anyway I am not going to rewrite an emulator from zero.

Ahah ok thank you :)

Your answer is interesting, and it fits with what I thought.

Maybe I didn't search enough on the Russian side. But they are probably willing to sell me only the server build without the sources -- if it is Java, it can be easily reversed engineered but it takes some time. And if they sell me the sources, they are going to ask for an unaffordable price (as said above).

Thanks again for your answers ! :)

lol =D my bad, is nighttime at me allready, not vb but vs(visual studio) there are source on vs 2008(C++) writed for a game simmiliar to lineage 2, its to an mmo, and packets and stuff is similar, im not telling to write from zero, but to use theyr source as base.

P.S.

also was wondering if there something simmiliar for Lineage 2 server, to show the structure in tree view.

oOCTGyJ.png?1

Edited by LightFusion

i can see few ppl who are all from Acis team recommend his own project

It's not about recommending our project.. He asked for X, Y, Z and the only pack which meets the requirements is.. aCis.

Bcs there is none fully stable, bugless files..?

How can you recommend something that you didn't saw? For sure not scoria, shitcode, not sure abot lucera tho, but probably also kinda crappy code, but works.

forget about lucera
dont even try hellas since even nightwolf commit there
frozen is the most complete(quests, ais) and mid/low rate servers run already with 5k actives.frozen has an open cl timeline.
acis is just clean, less bugs than frozen, -incomplete-, with a pretty good geoengine comparing to the rest java projects.acis timeline is private.

both frozen and acis have critical bugs which will take u A LOT time to find out.

from the other hand u can move to off platform -plug n play- even for low rates @see SkyLord, most uncapable person running mid rates server with 0 knowledge filling hes pockets ;)

personal opinion: i've worked with frozen and acis, i moved to acis after long time debugging both projects.