ANY L2J Dev United for IL

4 hours ago, Elfocrash said:

Tryskell allows people to use latest free version as long as the project is opensource so he can get any potential fixes.

https://acis.i-live.eu/index.php?topic=10423.0

In his own words:

In his words. Also he has an agreement with maxtor where no link that leads to his pack including the sourced is allowed to be shared on MxC, apart from his link, whether it is customised or not.

20200126_213445.jpg

By "shared", I meant "zipped shared". We were speaking about L2eola zip share on MxC. I already even told you WHY and HOW it currently protect people :

- Guarantee of file tracking (virus, etc)

- Guarantee of revision tracking (to eventually answer if fixes have been deploye dor if it has to be adressed)

- In that topic, I already spoke about L2Pride share, and how it basically broke that concept, since any noob could open a server based on a share.

My rules are the same since 2012 and freemium concept introduction.

I already backed 2 custom, public aCis forks in the past. Elfocrash (L2JVelvet ?) was one of them, and unfortunately both died very fast.

Sido would probably be happy to host your forums, and link both projects.

Finally, both @Sido and @SweeTs got no rights over aCis management - they're here since the beginning, and if they got something to say I can listen, but that stops here. None of them actively coded for the project, they supported it in other maneers. Hell, even @Rootware and Hasha, got no rights.

I'm a dictator !

Edited by Tryskell
  • Like 2

On 1/25/2020 at 4:41 PM, xFranky said:

Hello @Trance. I am sorry about that. Silly me!

Initially, my project concept or idea was not to create a derival of aCis, but about a group of multiple but separated from one another, up-to-date and available features, which aims people that are looking for a particular feature. The advantages were to reduce the developer's time on looking for the features that are hard to be found either on MxC or Google, and they will not be out-of-date

Part of this idea for the features was to be based on aCis for creating and building up those features, and make them available for multiple L2J packs that enables an easier adaptation of the code. In order to achieve this was to make use of GitHub. GitHub has a great engine for keeping a track of all the commits and, which allows me to either approve or amend commits as I see necessary. Additionally, everyone could contribute, without been told for what to do, when they are suitable and find free time. Therefore, I will have a total control about what is going on with the repositories, where any developer at any given point of time, can see all the commits and why they are made, in order to go ahead and update their code.

The idea of "saving the community" was because I remember myself when I started l2 developing, while I had no knowledge of coding. I was able to search the forum to find what I was looking for and simply figure out how to make simple changes without harming anything else. The majority of the code was available to the public, and it gave me the opportunity of learning code. Nowadays, this has been reduced, and in order to get a feature, as simple as a PvP and PK colour (I just gave an example to justify what I mean as simple code) you have to pay someone between 20€ to 100€, even though it is just 20 max lines of code. I just wanted to encourage developers to be more open minded, and give away simple things, since they could earn the trust of the community, create a good reputation, potentially increase of their customers, improve their code and coding style as they will be getting suggestions of how they could improve in the future and helping the L2 development community to grow up again. This can give them a nice feeling for contributing and helping hundreds of people.

When it comes to the engine which you mention, which is a great example, is easy and possible to be done. I just needed ideas and motivation, which are gone since a few days ago 
for something that have happened to me, so I am waiting them to come back and recover. I might have to take some time off from coding and drink a lot of Vodka. Idk. 

Nevertheless, I could just start by myself and if anyone wanted to commit, they would be more than welcome including yourself. However, there is an issue which I learned recently. We are not allowed to have any aCis source code and pack shared on MxC, after the request of @Tryskell to Maxtor, which forces me to respect his decision, therefore this idea with the GitHub is not possible, since I have to share the link of the repository, in order for the whole idea to work. I could alternatively have diff files available but the whole concept would be corrupted. If I had the "Ok" from either @Tryskell, @SweeTs or @Sido to share a link of their source files to the public, with the promise of keeping all the repositories up-to-date with the latest free available sources, this concept can revive again! However, it is unlikely to happen and therefore I might just discontinue this idea.

Anyway, I like your idea and I will keep it in mind along with the advices you have given me on your post. I am thankful for that and for the time you have spent.

If you're making something based on listeners, you don't need any approval from aCis because you won't share the source.

And again, what's the point to make another L2J fork, when you can join them and do a better job together.

12 hours ago, Elfocrash said:

Well that’s not quite the same.

An event listener system is just a notification system. Events are meant to be acted upon but they can’t change the behaviour o the method calling them. For example you can have an onPvpKill() event listener but the event can only do something within its context. It cannot stop the calling method from going forward. (sure you can code it in but then if you have two listeners on the same event for different customs and one needs the method to complete its execution to work properly then what do you do?

Event Listeners are great for adding behaviour but not for altering existing behaviour which is where the approach would fail.

When it comes to code and performance there is an insane amount of room for improvement, but I don’t think it worths anyone’s time. The acis (and l2j) code, project organisation and tooling it terrible in today’s standards (or even 2012’s for that matter). That’s where someone can differentiate themselves from acis.

That is more than enough for L2J. I sent you a pm about it.