low rate ready pack

4 hours ago, Orphexile said:

@SGuard @Kara`

I'm going to hijack this thread to ask you a C4 related question, even though I feel slightly discouraged after reading Kara's response "If you tell them their respond is "No.. i dont do for this or donations".

I got my hands on a dual Xeon x5670 machine with 96GB ram and thought about dedicating it to a L2 server (it's not much, but should be enough for a L2 server). The idea is to set it up, leave it running and never touch it again, like a little nostalgia bubble.

To the question: is it pointless? I'm working on this with another ex dev, he used to be part of the MobL2 team, together with Tantor and jap (if anyone remembers those guys), but he doesn't remembers much, as it was 12 years ago.

We managed to combine around 5 different server packs into a semi functional one, but still have some issues with NPC and GeoData errors and the documentation regarding it is scarce, really scarce. He's a decent programmer, but we went into this mostly as a tribute to our childhood, so starting with the basics and compiling everything from scratch to host a server with 50 active people seems like a major waste of time.

Can the two of you point me in the right direction, or to someone who is willing to help? Our goal was to setup a functional C4 server, as basic as possible and leave it at it, no donations, no forum, just a discord channel. We have the server and a dedicated connection, so it can be online for the next 10 years with basically 0 maintenance costs.

Thanks.

There is a big difference. Back in 2007 when people used to host homemade server was due to high price of VPS/DEDI. Nowadays you can affort 12e VPS with 8 cores and 8 euro VPS with 4 cores or 20e dedi (+ free anti-ddos) something that homemade can't provide. So consider the cheap price of a VPS and the amount of CPU power a 2000 game require it's funny no to host the game into a professional company that is accessible worldwide like FR.

So my suggestion is don't bother with homemade, electricity problems, upload speed, ping will be always higher than a company.

About the C4, I love this chronicle, as i love Freya. In my opinion these are the best chronicles. 

Unfortunately people wouldn't really pay attention cause they are uneducated homo erectus and they want pride like shit servers. I can send u a list of my clients on skype who open pride like servers and they are 7 + per day. 

The reason i have this opinion is because i had the most requests in this forum due to the tutorials i had upload in 2011-2012 with 1000+ contacts in less than 6 months(forced me to close my old skype cause i got bored of new contacts per minute) asking for help or open server which also led to me to self-learn and sell services later.

The community right now pay attention into pridelike-gracia, interlude PVP and H5 with community board. In my opinion these are the biggest losers. Instant 99 lv +500 batman armors and community board everywhere with 1 click functions is their "min" to join else you end up with 5 people online.

Continue your C4 and keep your "standars" very low. Set an expectation of max +20 people in grand opening and be honest with the advertisements. Avoid words like "expect +1000, best!!, no DONATIONS!!" as they trigger a "NOP." to whoever read them. Avoid customs and "balance". Lineage 2 is very balanced. The only unbalance thing it has is the resists and the custom armors you add.. 

Thats all from me

17 minutes ago, Kara` said:

The community right now pay attention into pridelike-gracia, interlude PVP and H5 with community board. In my opinion these are the biggest losers. Instant 99 lv +500 batman armors and community board everywhere with 1 click functions is their "min" to join else you end up with 5 people online.

Continue your C4 and keep your "standars" very low. Set an expectation of max +20 people in grand opening and be honest with the advertisements. Avoid words like "expect +1000, best!!, no DONATIONS!!" as they trigger a "NOP." to whoever read them. Avoid customs and "balance". Lineage 2 is very balanced. The only unbalance thing it has is the resists and the custom armors you add.. 

Thats all from me

The thing is,its 2019.The concept hasnt changed for years and the game itself lacks when it comes to mechanics.

Farming over and over again for the same items for so many years is just stupid.Besides,the server is going to close in a month.The whole concept is outdated.

Custom armors and "lvl 99" makes the game fancier and "faster" (higher APM) when it comes to PvP (which means less boring).

Personally i like C4.C6 is "overused".

5 hours ago, Orphexile said:

@SGuard @Kara`

I'm going to hijack this thread to ask you a C4 related question, even though I feel slightly discouraged after reading Kara's response "If you tell them their respond is "No.. i dont do for this or donations".

I got my hands on a dual Xeon x5670 machine with 96GB ram and thought about dedicating it to a L2 server (it's not much, but should be enough for a L2 server). The idea is to set it up, leave it running and never touch it again, like a little nostalgia bubble.

To the question: is it pointless? I'm working on this with another ex dev, he used to be part of the MobL2 team, together with Tantor and jap (if anyone remembers those guys), but he doesn't remembers much, as it was 12 years ago.

We managed to combine around 5 different server packs into a semi functional one, but still have some issues with NPC and GeoData errors and the documentation regarding it is scarce, really scarce. He's a decent programmer, but we went into this mostly as a tribute to our childhood, so starting with the basics and compiling everything from scratch to host a server with 50 active people seems like a major waste of time.

Can the two of you point me in the right direction, or to someone who is willing to help? Our goal was to setup a functional C4 server, as basic as possible and leave it at it, no donations, no forum, just a discord channel. We have the server and a dedicated connection, so it can be online for the next 10 years with basically 0 maintenance costs.

Thanks.

You probably can run 4 different servers with such machine (probably far more if you got 0 or very low amount of ppl). Your only limitation would be internet connection and the CPU.

If the nostalgia is the definitive goal, then I would say, no, it's not a waste. If it's for any other goal, then yes.

You wouldn't have a lot of work with any OFF plateforms. They're basically exploitable without any work. Extenders got issues, but it's generally coming from the limited amount of knowledge of the lack of data (for exemple IL). Java is very good for custom servers, since it's really easy to edit any aspect.

I would be you, I would pick the main, leaked, OFF plateforms. It was C1, C4, GF. For the leftover power, you can run some OFF extenders (IL, C3,...). OFF needs Microsoft SQL.

None Java files can simply be deployed and left "as it". There is always something to repair.

Edited by Tryskell

1 hour ago, Kara` said:

That's still leaves us with my original question: "What C4 base to pick?" We are currently running a mixture of PostPacific, RaGEZONE, L2Storm, L2Merchant and the pack shared by @Kabaite, it works, but barely. We are not experiencing any major issues, but NPC logs are full of errors and I got a suspicion that we have to re-script half of the NPC data.

Is there a decent pack around? Money isn't exactly an issue, we are all adults on this project, but we don't have the time to debug the pack for the next 12 months to get it working correctly.

Is the pack from @agnitium reliable? 

And to clarify, no, we are not going to succumb to the sensationalist descriptions, so no worries @Kara`. We grew up playing Lineage 2 and we want to preserve its world for the future. If anything, we'd prefer to lunch a C2 server, but those files are impossible to find.

Edited by Orphexile

1 hour ago, Tryskell said:

You probably can run 4 different servers with such machine (probably far more if you got 0 or very low amount of ppl). Your only limitation would be internet connection and the CPU.

If the nostalgia is the definitive goal, then I would say, no, it's not a waste. If it's for any other goal, then yes.

You wouldn't have a lot of work with any OFF plateforms. They're basically exploitable without any work. Extenders got issues, but it's generally coming from the limited amount of knowledge of the lack of data (for exemple IL). Java is very good for custom servers, since it's really easy to edit any aspect.

I would be you, I would pick the main, leaked, OFF plateforms. It was C1, C4, GF. For the leftover power, you can run some OFF extenders (IL, C3,...). OFF needs Microsoft SQL.

None Java files can simply be deployed and left "as it". There is always something to repair.

This is what i said, lineage 2 required hardware is so low that 32 GB ram they get nowadays and 16 cores is just funny. This thing used to run in 2004 using 1 Core and 2 GB ram.

1 hour ago, Orphexile said:

That's still leaves us with my original question: "What C4 base to pick?" We are currently running a mixture of PostPacific, RaGEZONE, L2Storm, L2Merchant and the pack shared by @Kabaite, it works, but barely. We are not experiencing any major issues, but NPC logs are full of errors and I got a suspicion that we have to re-script half of the NPC data.

Is there a decent pack around? Money isn't exactly an issue, we are all adults on this project, but we don't have the time to debug the pack for the next 12 months to get it working correctly.

Is the pack from @agnitium reliable? 

And to clarify, no, we are not going to succumb to the sensationalist descriptions, so no worries @Kara`. We grew up playing Lineage 2 and we want to preserve its world for the future. If anything, we'd prefer to lunch a C2 server, but those files are impossible to find.

I've picked a Freya pack (back then it didn't had scripts, 70% of code and all files were .py and .cvs) and since then im working on it (for like 8+ year). Still is half-way from perfection (if we exclude geo-movement that is a common issue in all J-servers).

You need to put lot's of effort, take for example this kiddo @xxdem. He used a super old aCis based pack back when aCis was shittier than shit. He managed to make a "decent" pack (as people say) out of it. Conclusion? It's not the file but it's the effort-knowledge you put on it.

2 hours ago, bravetobe said:

The thing is,its 2019.The concept hasnt changed for years and the game itself lacks when it comes to mechanics.

Farming over and over again for the same items for so many years is just stupid.Besides,the server is going to close in a month.The whole concept is outdated.

Custom armors and "lvl 99" makes the game fancier and "faster" (higher APM) when it comes to PvP (which means less boring).

Personally i like C4.C6 is "overused".

Lineage 2 survived so far and will continue to be available due to low rate - C4 memories we all have. Nobody have a memory of full community board or batman capes. The game was so well-made and most of people spend childhood with it thats why. This childwood can't be replaced with +5000 weapons and community boards. But because you don't want to repeat your memories exactly as they were, you add shit customs and you end up trashing the whole memory you had. (It's worst when you want to be admin).

2k19 c4 will never have more than 100 ppl. The Only chronicles that still work and are able to gather some decent population are the ones you can see from the most popular projects . I believe that 2k20 will be the end for c6. You can already see that by visiting such projects, they have replaced c6 with classic (Zaken, antharas e.t.c) updates. 

33 minutes ago, JohnBoy13 said:

2k19 c4 will never have more than 100 ppl. The Only chronicles that still work and are able to gather some decent population are the ones you can see from the most popular projects . I believe that 2k20 will be the end for c6. You can already see that by visiting such projects, they have replaced c6 with classic (Zaken, antharas e.t.c) updates. 

L2 classic is going strong on retail. Sure it has an updated engine, but it's basically C2.

35 minutes ago, JohnBoy13 said:

You're the most stupid person i've seen. L2Elite holds 1700+ people online daily. But can i expect from a stupid kid who go into "PREVIEW TOPIC OF A BOT ENGINE" and write this:

FttVBjF.png

1 minute ago, Orphexile said:

L2 classic is going strong on retail. Sure it has an updated engine, but it's basically C2.

Yap. but fuck classic too. Why bother download +30000 GB t play c2. 

7 minutes ago, Kara` said:

You're the most stupid person i've seen. L2Elite holds 1700+ people online daily. But can i expect from a stupid kid who go into "PREVIEW TOPIC OF A BOT ENGINE" and write this:

FttVBjF.png

Yap. but fuck classic too. Why bother download +30000 GB t play c2. 

Personal? The map/minimap :P

Edited by Orphexile

p.s. each year since 2010 everybody predict doomsday for L2 and nothing happen. C6 is still the most popular chronicle, there's still servers with ~3-5k online and nobody plans to quit. 

Predicting l2 fate is like predicting crypto fate, nobody knows this business  mood :)

16 minutes ago, SGuard said:

p.s. each year since 2010 everybody predict doomsday for L2 and nothing happen. C6 is still the most popular chronicle, there's still servers with ~3-5k online and nobody plans to quit. 

Predicting l2 fate is like predicting crypto fate, nobody knows this business  mood :)

3k-5k is a lie. As for doomsday it depends as this matter is subjective. 

You tell me whats a lie and what's not a lie?  =)

No offense what you should know who am I and I've got no reason ti 'lie' :D

p.s. tell that lie to beyond who had around 10k players on its high end session :D

7 minutes ago, SGuard said:

You tell me whats a lie and what's not a lie?  =)

No offense what you should know who am I and I've got no reason ti 'lie' :D

p.s. tell that lie to beyond who had around 10k players on its high end session :D

I have logged in to beyond and I have also logged in to official gran kain when it used to have 7k on. The results? In gran kain I couldn't find a single mob to kill while in beyond sometimes it took me 30 mins to find pt. Anyway I guess you are right.