Noob question about seasonal private servers

poala00

So after many years of not playing Lineage I’ve started on a new private server with some friends. Server has some custom features such GMShop, NPC Buffer… etc but the main point here is that reading about server description it says that it will run on 2 seasons per year and Im not 100% sure on what that does mean. Is it that after 6 months they are gonna wipe everything and do a fresh start (so Im basically wasting time) or something else Im missing?

Thank you!

https://100001.onl/

Edited by poala00

Yeah that's basically it, if you wanna play something stable that lasts for many years you either need to play on official servers or look for some old servers which haven't closed yet, L2 private servers basically turned into very long MOBA games, you join, farm a bit, pvp a bit, server dies, that's it 😅

• 2 weeks later...

I've been away from the L2 scene for years. Came back in summer, tried out some PVP servers but I wanted to move on to low/mid rate servers. I remember when mid rates were THE thing back in 2010-2014 somewhere along those years (correct me if I'm wrong), they lasted more than 6 months. What shocks me now is that the websites are honest about their planned uptime (6 months usually) and I don't know if it's better or worse. Being a old player, used to slow progression, I find myself not in the position of playing a server that will be wiped in 6 months. Cause that means after a 3-4 month period, the server will be practically dead. For me it looks like a 100m sprint, clans grinding hardcore 1-2 weeks and owning the server for the remaining time. But I see many clans/CPs are fine with that idea since the servers do actually have a respectable amount of online players.
I would like to hear a players POV on this subject. How is it playing on these "seasonal" servers?

On 2/16/2023 at 12:38 AM, FossilGamer said:

I've been away from the L2 scene for years. Came back in summer, tried out some PVP servers but I wanted to move on to low/mid rate servers. I remember when mid rates were THE thing back in 2010-2014 somewhere along those years (correct me if I'm wrong), they lasted more than 6 months. What shocks me now is that the websites are honest about their planned uptime (6 months usually) and I don't know if it's better or worse. Being a old player, used to slow progression, I find myself not in the position of playing a server that will be wiped in 6 months. Cause that means after a 3-4 month period, the server will be practically dead. For me it looks like a 100m sprint, clans grinding hardcore 1-2 weeks and owning the server for the remaining time. But I see many clans/CPs are fine with that idea since the servers do actually have a respectable amount of online players.
I would like to hear a players POV on this subject. How is it playing on these "seasonal" servers?

You need to understand that one server dies because players leave, not because owner want to close it. 

There are servers that tells you that they will never do wipe, but when people leave after 1 month they close it.

• 2 weeks later...

L2 is a very well-known and studied game by its player base. That being said, progressing to end-game content in a mid-rate gameplay setup can be achieved in a matter of 2 weeks at most. After that, there is no real goal to grind towards, you can PvP for epics and try the Olympiad but after that there is no real reason to play as new players will not be joining in an end-game server.

Adding to that, lower population in L2, paid-to-play clans and mentally dead short-term focused admins also ruined the experience. Even in low rates the hype dies down after 2 months.

It used to be that wipes were never announced beforehand and players were very sad to hear about them. Nowadays, players play as fast as they can and wait for the next wipe to play again, they're confused as to what RPG stands for. But then again, L2 was not designed to be easy with buffers, shops etc, it was a very slow progression game before Goddess of Destruction and p2w came along.

Edited by An4rchy
  • Like 1