L2Dot Net Interlude Project

ConcurrentDictionary is similar to ConcurrentHashMap ? Cause atm you simply need a HashMap, as you simply use it to check, and that map is fed normally only once (and content never replaced, removed or edited anew).

You obviously didn't noticed that he creates and runs a new thread for handling and running a dumb client request (they may come as thousands per second on a decent server), so I guess optimization and efficieny is the least of his concerns for now at least, his just making things that should work no matter the cost.

Edited by xxdem

Threadhandling and concurrency and async tasks is handled differently in CLR than JVM so you cant compare it.

My thread will be disposed in milliseconds once its executed. If the call was synchronous i would have performance issues.

All of those thread will be handled by enqueue eventually if they need to.

You obviously didn't noticed that he creates and runs a new thread for handling and running a dumb client request (they may come as thousands per second on a decent server), so I guess optimization and efficieny is the least of his concerns for now at least, his just making things that should work no matter the cost.

Until I missed the point, the map is used as a static checker for packet opcode and class reference, nothing else.

It worked fine before. I don't see the use of replacement, except winning 200 lines (at best and only for GS) on a never edited class.

----

K then, if it's differently handled. I clearly doubt concurrent is better performance than a simple switch = new object though. It must perform similar anyway.

Edited by Tryskell

Until I missed the point, the map is used as a static checker for packet opcode and class reference, nothing else.

It worked fine before. I don't see the use of replacement, except winning 200 lines (at best and only for GS) on a never edited class.

----

K then, if it's differently handled. I clearly doubt concurrent is better performance than a simple switch = new object though. It must perform similar anyway.

Only time will tell. Forget the concurrent keyword. It is just there because i use a Synchronization attribute in the class .

Technically it could be a simple Dictionary and i will test it that way too as a simple dictionary upon population is almost 2 times faster.

Interestingly enough I debugged the threads and yeah they where disposed really fast but I removed them, see how it performs and add a queue if it is needed.

About the benchmarking it performs exactly the same (Apart of the initial Dictionary loading which happens on startup anyway) but it is just way more easy to maintain and debug (which is very important for a project that is still adding the packets).

I can add a packet in one line instead of 5 and stepping through the code it way better.

Interestingly enough I debugged the threads and yeah they where disposed really fast but I removed them, see how it performs and add a queue if it is needed.

About the benchmarking it performs exactly the same (Apart of the initial Dictionary loading which happens on startup anyway) but it is just way more easy to maintain and debug (which is very important for a project that is still adding the packets).

I can add a packet in one line instead of 5 and stepping through the code it way better.

Just make 2-8 Thread workers and add Client Requests on their Queues, these threads are supposed to sleep a given time and execute from the queue forever.

I can tell you many reasons why creating a new thread sucks for every client request one of them and most important from me is that the Player has direct access on your resources both soft and hard, whereas in a worker queue design he can't

Just make 2-8 Thread workers and add Client Requests on their Queues, these threads are supposed to sleep a given time and execute from the queue forever.

I can tell you many reasons why creating a new thread sucks for every client request one of them and most important from me is that the Player has direct access on your resources both soft and hard, whereas in a worker queue design he can't

Yeah Enqueue should be fine. Really glad i got rid of that ugly switch statement. Thanks for the recommendation.

Yeah Enqueue should be fine. Really glad i got rid of that ugly switch statement. Thanks for the recommendation.

the switch statement has nothing to do with that, it was ugly but supper fast. Your design has the overhead of searching every time for the class and then initiating its instance through reflection. I guess its 100x slower but for sure cleaner and the overhead impact is unnoticeable 

the switch statement has nothing to do with that, it was ugly but supper fast. Your design has the overhead of searching every time for the class and then initiating its instance through reflection. I guess its 100x slower but for sure cleaner and the overhead impact is unnoticeable 

It is as fast as checking a small HashMap for a key value which is technically the same as as switch of the same size.

It is as fast as checking a small HashMap for a key value which is technically the same as as switch of the same size.

Im not talking about the HashMap, HashMap is super fast O(1) in most cases, Im talking about Class.newInstance which most probably is done with reflection on the runtime, I doubt that EnterWorld.class.getConstructor().newInstance() is anything close to "new EnterWorld()" in terms of perfomance

Im not talking about the HashMap, HashMap is super fast O(1) in most cases, Im talking about Class.newInstance which most probably is done with reflection on the runtime, I doubt that EnterWorld.class.getConstructor().newInstance() is anything close to "new EnterWorld()" in terms of perfomance

It is indeed using reflection but it caches the action so once it's done then it acts the same as new EnterWorld(), because it uses System instead of Reflection to create the instances. But that means that every single packet would have to be created with reflection at least once.

bWxaYHh.png

After some benchmarking it seems that in heavy load (50kk iterations) Activator.CreateInstance is up to 4 times slower (can get higher).

I know that's nothing for l2 but i wanna get as much horsepower as possible so i will be replacing Activator with compiled lambda expressions.

• 2 weeks later...

Added the basic implementation of a Plugin API.

Simply create a class library on .NET Framework 4.6, extend the Plugin class and override whichever method you want.

Then drop the dll in the plugins folder and thats it.

3segxli.png

realy ( nice job ) but ... this session is for l2j project and this project ( as you said is C# ) why you create topic on l2j ?

read before posting

Edited by pirama