Custom server's are dead

This pretty much sums it up for 99% of custom servers, where custom = armors/weapons/tattoos/etc copypaste bullshit. All the accumulated fails of custom crap created a bad reputation for the "custom" meaning, same for pretty much anyone who dared changing something that was considered standard L2

Battles for Glory 2 (http://www.bsfg.ru/) - is the closest thing to custom server that I would recommend and that is live atm. Pretty cool, it had perma 2k players when I was playing. A lot of farming though, but easy to find PvP at all level ranges

Pandora - looked awesome, innovated on many areas, lots of potential, never finished

L2Luna - was good, died after a week, monotone - but with cool ideas. Also amazing to make all that work in L2Off platform

I don't know more custom servers that are worth mentioning. Long ago I was working on one that I never finished, but I eventually gave up because it was too much work for the 20 people that would log in

I've seen battles for glory about 3 years ago. Didn't believe it would last that long.

Loads of client mods, surprised they are not close up either.

Then again - Russians.

I've played in balanced servers, l2sublimity is one of them. But all servers are crap and the reason is money, it is not possible to make a good f2p server except if it charity. Even the retail is crap right now.