NCsoft Steps Up Battle in the Fight Against Illegal Game Servers

NCsoft®, the world-leading, publisher of massively multiplayer online games such as Guild Wars®, Lineage® II and City of Heroes®, today announced that it was stepping up its fight against the growing menace of intellectual property theft. This action comes as a direct response to the rise of illegal online game servers throughout Eastern Europe, particularly in Greece and Russia where NCsoft’s fantasy-based online role playing game, Lineage II, is extremely popular.

The fraudulent servers in question are being used by players playing at home and in internet cafes, but such unauthorised servers often feature – or require users to download – illegally modified and potentially harmful game data, thereby changing the intended online experience.

NCsoft’s European office has identified several prominent illegal servers across Europe and is in the process of taking action against individuals and corporations deemed to be in breach of international copyright laws. In a lawsuit that was commenced last year in Greece, NCsoft successfully obtained a court order against Internet Cafe business, ‘e-GLOBAL’ following which four of its cafes were raided and illegal software was seized.  This led to the shutting down of illegal servers on which pirate copies of Lineage II software was loaded. Georgios Katostaris – Chairman of the Board and Managing Director, Constantinos Zygouras – Vice-Chairman of the Board and Managing Director, Athanassios Dobros – Deputy Managing Director and Dimitrios Koutsoukos – Administrator of the company under the name ‘INTERNET DYNAMICS LLC’ have all been made personal defendants to the proceedings that are continuing in the Greek Courts in which NCsoft is seeking damages as well as criminal remedies.

“Illegal game servers, such as those operating from e-GLOBAL, have a hugely negative impact on both NCsoft Europe and its customers,” commented Max Brown, NCsoft Europe’s Sales & Operations Director. “They seriously affect the player’s experience of our products and rob the company of potential revenue that is used to further enhance the player experience on official servers. NCsoft’s loss in revenue from e-GLOBAL’s operation is estimated in excess of six million Euros. We are defiant in our resolve to stamp out theft of NCsoft’s intellectual properties and are prepared to take the strongest measures to do so.”

NCsoft has a proven track record in combating illegal servers, having worked with the FBI in November 2006 to shut down a substantial unofficial Lineage II server run by US-based website, L2Extreme.com. Following multiple raids across cities throughout the US, L2Extreme’s fraudulent servers – which claimed to support 50,000 active users – were taken offline, as was the L2Extreme.com website.

http://eu.plaync.com/eu/about/pressrelease-full/ncsoft_steps_up_battle_in_the_fight_against_illegal_game_servers/

I was READING that too some days Ago...

I HOPE that the FBI (ftw!) Will Close ALL those Server where a player to be better than Others MUST donate !

that's my opinion Ofc.

It really sucked when the FBI closed l2extreme.. damn it was fun on that server , it was my first serious l2 server.

Still think it sucked big time :(..

But NCsoft really is soffering by private servers..

i will like close l2gold i have maked donate 3k euro and make me ban reason dont talk :P

3k euros on a private server!!! OMFG!!!!

with this amount of money you could buy uber toon + uber equipment + uber epic jewels in official.

why on earth did you spend all this money on a crappy server?

why on earth you spent all this money in a game in general?

if you ever think of spending that much again, do it as an investment on official servers and bot your butt out and start selling adena in a few weeks/months.

FFS some people.

and 3k euros are not that much to invest IRL.

When i meant IRL i mean... in touchable things, cuz if u donate 400€ by a armor +5...u can't touch it, it's a virtual item..

With 400€ u can buy a laptop for exemple, buy a present to ur girlfriend, etc...

:>

the new fashion is no wepn donations, and donation for sub items and quest items, im currently playin on of those, and u have to do 2nd occ quest x.x

its stack sub, so sub item is important, and its kinda hard to get

i dont know if its a way to attract ppl an then sayin we have to allow donations, i hope it aint ^^

as for the fedz, they never gna manage to stamp out the private community, what they gna do, invade a country that isnt compliant with international copy rights cuz of a l2 server? i dont think so

venezuela for example, would pay for it just to -beep- with usa  ;)

you can make A LOT by farming and selling in official servers.

and 3k euros are not that much to invest IRL.

for holidays are quite enough i might say

what do you mean 3k euros isnt much IRL? or for a holiday?

its a fuckin lot, no matter how much you earn, you can get an used audi tt around here with 11k euro's

as for investments, nothing is too much money, but readin the thread, what investment did you mean? that he donated for a private server?

what do you mean? <.<

they closed a l2 private server, in this case a inet caffe, and prolly isp too.

and it doesnt mean the death of l2 private servers, dragon was closed for moving when l2extreme got shut down, and wasnt there for about 2 months or so

one of their servers was perma shutdown, but that was comin a long time <.<

if you want a decent l2 serverwith no donations, ask around a little ^^, u cant find a good l2 server from top200gamesite, or sh1t like that

Guys, stay ON-topic.

p.s.  I wish you ANNI to be in good Health in the shorter time is possible ;D

im on topic... mostly  ::)