Why make random servers?

I doubt quality will be achieved ever.

We have retail being free. Low rates being stable. High rates being random crap.

I guess I'd have to agree though, that with how simple it became to set up a random crap server, it just encourages all the sad folk that need to look strong and act powerful to do so.

I wonder if maxtor would be disappointed if that would stop - after all there are people paying to be the spotlight of the advertisement forum.

I doubt quality will be achieved ever.

We have retail being free. Low rates being stable. High rates being random crap.

I guess I'd have to agree though, that with how simple it became to set up a random crap server, it just encourages all the sad folk that need to look strong and act powerful to do so.

I wonder if maxtor would be disappointed if that would stop - after all there are people paying to be the spotlight of the advertisement forum.

There's loads of overrated servers like L2 Pride, L2 Mafia, L2 Vitality/Dominion or whatever they called it. I applaud L2 Pride of their effort, but it is honestly one of the dumbest servers I have ever step foot in and look how over rated it is. L2 Pride is not even as cool as people say it is. L2 Mafia does not need an explanation, except a TLDR of 'pay 2 play'. The same thing is with L2 vitality/Dominion. I do not have enough info about their owners or server (current state) to actually give up to date info about it. I only remember that EVERYTHING is donateable (cursed weapon skills, GM skills, etc). All the custom items are only for donations. Donators have literally over 10 mil CP while I am stuck with Draconic and regular stats. I can not see the logic behind people joining those servers. Not only is it a waste of money, but it is killing the private server scene faster then those random ones (those die out in a day or two).

This is a topic i had went over in my mind numerous times but never made a thread about it. Fact is these random GR/BR retards killed the Lineage2 community with their shitty private servers and it wont stop because they are too retarded to establish a well made server. I wont express my full opinion on this matter but to put it in a nutshell. 99% of GRS / 100% of BRS have no idea how to run an L2 server nor make one but let them be the retards they were born to be.

There's loads of overrated servers like L2 Pride, L2 Mafia, L2 Vitality/Dominion or whatever they called it. I applaud L2 Pride of their effort, but it is honestly one of the dumbest servers I have ever step foot in and look how over rated it is. L2 Pride is not even as cool as people say it is. L2 Mafia does not need an explanation, except a TLDR of 'pay 2 play'. The same thing is with L2 vitality/Dominion. I do not have enough info about their owners or server (current state) to actually give up to date info about it. I only remember that EVERYTHING is donateable (cursed weapon skills, GM skills, etc). All the custom items are only for donations. Donators have literally over 10 mil CP while I am stuck with Draconic and regular stats. I can not see the logic behind people joining those servers. Not only is it a waste of money, but it is killing the private server scene faster then those random ones (those die out in a day or two).

Those l2 "servers" don't even deserve to be called like this.Especially l2 Dominion where you donate whatever you like GM Haste/Stuck every active from any class/Akamanah passive.I can't even understand the reason people make donations there,do they so much money to waste for every crappy server?

While I respect the work L2J has accomplished I hate what they did to the community indirectly. Would have been way better off without imo but meh what can you do. What we really need is a vote site that automatically runs a trace on a gameserver IP when it is submitted and denies anything on a residential IP. The rest are checked by staff to make sure they are not home hosted. It would be a step in the right direction.

No, quantity is not better then quality in this case. I'd much rather see 10 good servers then 100 stupid ones that pop up with very identical features (the case now). Is that how you see things? quantity over quality? o_o

Mrees, you agree with the quantity > quality because as you said it's better to have 10 good set up servers rather than 100 fails. Maybe you missunderstood the meaning of the word O_o

Now as about the private servers : L2J

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

L2J is an open source server emulator based on Java for the MMORPG Lineage 2, which was developed by NCsoft. The emulator was first started by L2Chef but numerous other developers have contributed to this project as well. This emulator allows anyone to run their own Lineage 2 server.

L2J servers do not require players to modify their clients in order to play. Instead, players are required to edit their hosts file found in the Windows system folder.

L2J is programmed in Java for portability, and is compatible with any platform that can run Java Environment 1.6 or greater. On a powerful machine with well customized settings, an L2J server can support more than 1000 players.

--

Criticism

At the current stage, compared to retail servers marked as "official" (stolen from original developer and owner), L2J has a few game elements missing or not working correctly. This can lead to some degree of gameplay imbalance. L2J was also plagued by crashes and inefficient use of server resources in earlier versions, leading to many players avoiding private servers running L2J, opting anstead to flock to servers running official leaked, or in some cases, original software unrelated to L2J. These issues have been largely resolved now however with many L2J servers now being nearly as stable and feature complete as official rip based ones. L2J always support the newest game client, but sometimes they miss some old features from old versions.

Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L2J

But after all that, I mean after what wikipedia mentions let's get on topic and answer to the author's question which is "WHY" they make fail servers not why there exist fail servers. At least from what I think. ;)

@Faith There would be less private servers in total perhaps, but it wouldn't change anything. Perhaps more people will be discouraged to leech sources and then change configs, but copy pasta servers will not disappear.

And l2j is free - they admire that fact and due to that they make it broadly available, "easy" to set up. So that it spreads. I bet that was the intention long ago.

And yeah, Dev is right. Existing crap servers are not a problem, cos they don't last long. It's just phenomenal that they appear every day in packs of 5 to 10. It's just a flood and it makes me wonder if there are

A) many people trying

B) same people trying 10 times a week.

i don't get what do you have against stupid GR/BR servers o_o just don't play them. Play a cool server or make your own that is better then the Gr/BR servers

I would't ever make a server like this.And I am not gonna make my server,do you know why?Because I don't have essential knowledge of l2development.So if you haven't the -beep-ing knowledge why to make a server?I don't have nothing against those Gr /Br server I just wonder why do people make donations at servers like this.

People are making money from L2 , especialy in "Soviet Russia" where top servers reach 5k online. People love the game and the fact that most of the things can be accomplished with money makes their life easier.

All homemade servers on ucoz that I know were made because admin was in 8th grade and tried to make money of kids like himself

Soviet russia does not have MANY private servers. It has a few popular low rate, yeah. That's justified - they offer a feel of the original game on various chronicles.

But if you look at the advertisement forums - there are not that many motherland russia low rates, instead - a gazzilion identical servers. They practically copy paste the "features" tab of each others website.

This formula for configs is too complex for the Greek mind.

rates=1*random+machinecost+timespentopeningserverinminutes(<300)/expectedlifetime

maybe yes but greek mind can think that.. GO fack yourself you and any1 who speak about greeks/greece ironic you are ZeRo........ if ur mother who liked greece was hiting you and now you dont like greece. its your problem.

Soviet russia does not have MANY private servers. It has a few popular low rate, yeah. That's justified - they offer a feel of the original game on various chronicles.

But if you look at the advertisement forums - there are not that many motherland russia low rates, instead - a gazzilion identical servers. They practically copy paste the "features" tab of each others website.

Soviet Russia?lol Wake the -beep- up,it was Soviet Russia about 20 years ago!