[Guide] Customizing Windows Vista :) by ~Blane

Blane

Well heya all!

Once again I have an inspiration for a guide, as the last 2 days I'm trying to modify my computer.This one will be short and fast, as I cannot write many things with just one hand (br0ke the other 3 days ago).I will be explainable I promise :)

The parts which are able to change are many but anyway I will say them below:

- Boot Loader Screen

- Vista Short Animation before Logon Screen

- Logon Screen

- Explorer

- Sidebar

- Cursors <-- NEW!

- Wallpapers etc...

First step is to delete TuneUpUtilities and restart your computer.(TUU is not accept new customized themes and that's not good)

Secondly you should patch your system.For this you're going to need VistaGlazz(I'm givin' links at the end of the topic).

When you install and open the program click on the first 2 icons so you first Patching your System and the patching your Themes.I think you can get over this you're not a noob.

Theme

Patching your system is a really big deal.Now there are 2 types of themes you can download:

a) .msstyles

b) .themes

If you have msstyles then you should also have a problem with name SHell and maybe a language folder.Make a new folder with a name same as the name of the .msstyle file.Example:

"Let's say you download template.msstyle.You should make a folder with the name : Template , and it will include : en-US (or other language) folder and Shell folder.Copy the whole Template folder and paste it in : C:\Windows\Resources\Themes"

Then go to the desktop, click right and go to "Personalize".Select "Theme" and you will see Aero, Classic duplicated.This is not a bug, but Vista doesn't let you make new themes.Now go back in C:\Windows\Resources\Themes folder, navigate through your custom style and double click on your downloaded .msstyle file.A new window will appear.In your selection it would be "Aero" but as I said up there, there's no problem.Just click Apply and VIOLA! your theme is installed!

If it hasn't worked, try to repatch your system with VistaGlazz(First bring it to normal, then repatch it).

Boot Screen

Again here we have 2 type of files which you can download.

a) Downloading a "winload.exe.mui"

If you want to use "winload.exe.mui" file, then you'll need to replace existing "winload.exe.mui" file present in "%windir%\System32\en-US" folder with your new one.First take permission of "winload.exe.mui" file present in "%windir%\System32\en-US" folder using following tutorial: [Click me] .Then just rename the original file to "winload.exe.mui.old" and then paste the one you downloaded.You're ready!

b) Downloading a ".tbs" file

If you want to use second file "VistaVG Seven Boot Screen for Vista.tbs", then you'll need Tuneup Utilities to apply it which is very safe and easy to use for this job.(More info at the end of this post)

Logon Screen

Be careful as this one forced me to boot from Linux to safe my pc.Don't worry, I'll explain it all.

Well most of the times you are going to download a .logonvista file but sometimes it may say something about LogonUI.exe.Well don't THINK ABOUT TOUCHING this file.

+ First Download LogonStudio from Stardock (It's free fellas!)

+ Navigate to where you installed it (Usually C:\Program Files\Stardock)

+ Delete the folder "skin" otherwise LogonStudio won't work

+ Open the program and learn to use it. (Easy environment for the user.You could make your own backgrounds too)

The little animation before Logon Screen

This is pretty easy if you know what "Take Ownership" means.I explained up there.

Now navigate through : C:\Windows\System32 and find a file with name "authui.dll".Take ownership of the file and rename it to "authui.dll.old".Then paste there your new "authui.dll" and you're ready!

Custom Cursors

Download a cursor set from somewhere.You'll see some .inf file.Right click it and press install.Then go to Control Panel and Click on Mouse.There find were is the Cursor tab.Drop down the menu and find the selection.The selection will have the name of the .inf file.Select it and apply it.Done!

Ok I think I explained it all.Below I give some links.Before you start to read them, I have to tell you that you have to make a simple Restart when you make a change in C:\Windows so it takes effect.

Link List

www.google.com - For Further Help

www.codegazer.com/vistaglazz/ - To download VistaGlazz

www.stardock.com/products/logonstudio/ - To download Logon Studio

www.askvg.com/add-take-ownership-option-in-file-folder-context-menu-in-windows-vista - Taking Ownership Of a File

For further backup please post back and leave a comment for my time ^^

Best Regards,

-Blane

Ty bro!

I'm really pissed off these days cause I was experimenting with all these staff and forced to Restore my system 2 times.So I think it's good for members who don't wanna risk their data :)

-Blane

Thanks all guys!

I will update it with more stuff when I have time.There's no same guide over the net so I decided here we can make a good topic about this stuff.

UPDATE: How to add custom cursors!

-Blane

Just a quick advice from me peeps. Never , ever download themes or logon screens from unknown sites cause they gain access to important Vista files and they may destroy your computers. Also remember, those programs consume a lot of RAM , so you better turn them off during games like L2 or WoW, or else you'll have a lot of lag.

I tried these stuff on my old pc so I am not lying :P Just thought I should add them :)

Just a quick advice from me peeps. Never , ever download themes or logon screens from unknown sites cause they gain access to important Vista files and they may destroy your computers. Also remember, those programs consume a lot of RAM , so you better turn them off during games like L2 or WoW, or else you'll have a lot of lag.

I tried these stuff on my old pc so I am not lying :P Just thought I should add them :)

+1 On this.

Soon I'll post a list of trustful sources.You can contribute too NAB.

-Blane

wreo to guide ala nomizo otoi to exeis kanei copy patse apo kapoio site (dn lew olo ala merika simia) dn mporo n pw tpt dn kserw aplos poles akrives plirofories... :P

kai gia auto pires karma... dn kserw apo karma ala exo kanei kai ego guide  gia GTA SA/MTA me poles plirofories kai arketa kala  paragmata p psaxnoun meriki ala dn exo pari karma dn lew p dn exoun kanei kai post ekei mesa TeCpa tha prospafiso n kanw akoma ena guide... :P

thnx for share blane  ;D

(Tha m xreiastoun ta dika s k o googlis gt skeftomai na valw s ena apo ta pC m vista ... gt dn ta exw dei akoma pl kaLa :P )

wreo to guide ala nomizo otoi to exeis kanei copy patse apo kapoio site (dn lew olo ala merika simia) dn mporo n pw tpt dn kserw aplos poles akrives plirofories... :P

kai gia auto pires karma... dn kserw apo karma ala exo kanei kai ego guide  gia GTA SA/MTA me poles plirofories kai arketa kala  paragmata p psaxnoun meriki ala dn exo pari karma dn lew p dn exoun kanei kai post ekei mesa TeCpa tha prospafiso n kanw akoma ena guide... :P

[GR] Re file niw8oume? Ti exei megalytero risko, oi metatropes sto san andreas h sto leitourgiko sou system? Xereis ti exoun pa8ei merikoi pou prospa8hsan na modaroun ta vista? Format, format, kai pali format.

Den lew, kalo to guide sou, alla auta pou postare o Blane voh8oun pollous , kai gia diaforous logous. Px fantasesai enas dhmosios ypallhlos ka8e mera na doulevei ston ypologisth tou kai na vlepei to idio pragma gia 10 xronia? Auto to post ton swzei...

Kai , sto katw katw ths grafhs...poios paizei pia GTA San Andreas...parte to GTA IV na niwsete. Ante exoume minei pisw [/GR]

Blane, i'll find some sites I used to visit and i'll tell you mate don't worry.

[GR] Re file niw8oume? Ti exei megalytero risko, oi metatropes sto san andreas h sto leitourgiko sou system? Xereis ti exoun pa8ei merikoi pou prospa8hsan na modaroun ta vista? Format, format, kai pali format.

Den lew, kalo to guide sou, alla auta pou postare o Blane voh8oun pollous , kai gia diaforous logous. Px fantasesai enas dhmosios ypallhlos ka8e mera na doulevei ston ypologisth tou kai na vlepei to idio pragma gia 10 xronia? Auto to post ton swzei...

Kai , sto katw katw ths grafhs...poios paizei pia GTA San Andreas...parte to GTA IV na niwsete. Ante exoume minei pisw [/GR]

Blane, i'll find some sites I used to visit and i'll tell you mate don't worry.

nai auti omos p doledoun san epalili dn nomizo na ka8onte sto MXC... exies dei an8ropo pano apo 30 xronon na ka8ete se forum kai n psaxni? like MXC ego prosopika oxi... sorry p arxisa na lew ala eipame...oute ena post?(sto guide m lew...)kai opos les IV merika NEt like auto p eimai twra dn pezei to IV kai dn mporoun... eno to GTA exei vgei kai san MTA kai pola mods :)

sorry for greek if you want delet this repleys...

Ο,τι πεις.

nai auti omos p doledoun san epalili dn nomizo na ka8onte sto MXC... exies dei an8ropo pano apo 30 xronon na ka8ete se forum kai n psaxni? like MXC ego prosopika oxi... sorry p arxisa na lew ala eipame...oute ena post?(sto guide m lew...)kai opos les IV merika NEt like auto p eimai twra dn pezei to IV kai dn mporoun... eno to GTA exei vgei kai san MTA kai pola mods :)

sorry for greek if you want delet this repleys...

Βρες σωστά επιχειρήματα και μιλάμε πάλι.

-Blane