Proxy

vampir

Question

My understanding of proxy is that tcp packet will go longer way to hosted machine, so it will always make ping the same or slower. In such case, why multiple servers are placing EU/USA/GR proxies?

Am I mistaken of how it works and it is somehow possible to make connection faster if some proxy is middleman?

6 answers to this question

Datacenters that are renting you a (proxy) server have better routing to the internet than you through your internet provider. It doen't always result in less latency and it's not the same for everyone. If your routing to the proxy server is bad, then it might negate any benefits it will give from proxy to the server itself.

So i really don't get this concept for having few proxies in server list. Most reasonable option seems to be one proxy with location as close to server host as possible

8 hours ago, vampir said:

So i really don't get this concept for having few proxies in server list. Most reasonable option seems to be one proxy with location as close to server host as possible

no no, you have a proxy because it has better routing to the server and hope that some players can connect on the proxy server without bottlenecks to gain a benefit. The proxy servers should be chosen to be on datacenters with as close as possible connections to Internet eXchange Points (IxPs), you can imagine those as the highways of the internet.