Public Awareness: The Sad Truth About Most Servers

This is to help raise awareness about how horrible the majority of private servers are out there, not only do most of these servers lack originality and thought, they also use overwhelmingly immoral tricks/scams/cheats to get players/keep players. This is coming from a server owner that has successful server that has been running over 5 years now, and from a player point of view from when I was a player before that. I will not mention my server name, this is not an advertisement, this is to notify communities to evaluate where they play, and how supporting these abysmal practices only makes it worse. This is for all the legitimate, and honest servers that are out there (which there are very few).

If the server you play on, or are considering to playing on, does one or more of these things, they are much more likely to be corrupt, which means giving items to their friends, and just overall rigging things. Additionally, they are more likely to provide horrible GM Support and be extremely rude, and may not answer any sort of emails or messages you send them to help resolve a problem.

Fake Online players example 1: Many servers make it where it says much more people are online then are actually there.

Fake Online players example 2: Many servers don't take the time and effort to stop botters/fight them, or simply don't care at all about them, thus they have more online which are not really there, they are just botting, thus creating the illusion that more are online. Botters are not real players.

Fake Online players example 3: Often times these so called "big" servers create/buy/request special code and scripts that create fake players standing around in town or in farmzones or where ever they want, some servers even have them coded where these fake players move around once in a while to make you believe they are real. Go ahead and Google "fake online count l2j" you will likely find some threads on max cheaters or other websites people trying to request/buy codes that do this...

Advertising Contests: You have probably seen this before, many servers have some sort of contest ran by the staff, often times on their forums, they give you some text/information about their server and they want you to post it in as many places as possible, including other server's Facebook pages, other servers forums, and more. The more they do it, the more they get rewarded, often with donation credit/gold bars. So basically its paid vandalism/spam, and legit forums and Facebook page are a victim of this trash almost everyday.

Advertising Bots: Some servers make bots (and/or hires bots) to log into other servers that sends automated in game mails to other players advertising their server. So if you get an un-solicited in game mail, on any server, that advertises another server, we would suggest ignore that advertisement, it simply means that server chooses to use immoral practices.

Social Media Tricks/Exploits: Some big servers, well known ones, have their websites code set up where it will automatically make you like their page on Facebook if you have your Facebook set up to auto log in. I'm not talking about the Facebook pop up and you accidentally clicking it, im talking about specific code to automatically make you like it with out your knowledge what so ever. This is them exploiting you and using you for extra/free advertisement. Check your likes on Facebook, did you actually "like" those servers? If not, they probably exploited you.

Constant Wipes/Closing/Renaming: Many players believe wipes every 2-6 months is healthy/normal. I strongly disagree, wipes are disrespecting your players and their time playing on that server, Wipes are for lazy admins/developers that don't know what their doing and lack the ability to design a server for the long term. Wipes are great for unbalanced servers that end up where only people who played their the longest can be the best. Wiping is a good way for greedy admins to make money, once the money doesn't flow as much though sometimes they close the server, then re-name the server and re-open claiming its a new/different server to try and get money again. My server for example has had 0 wipes and 5+ years, again this is not advertisement i will not mention my server, just saying its 100% possible if you use some common sense, and have programs to help new players etc.

DDoS attacking the competition: Many servers attack other servers with DDoS attacks, especially on targeted days like opening/sieges, this is mostly done by the competitions server, which has similar rates/demographics as theirs

So if you play a server that does any of these things, consider finding a new home. Stop supporting servers that do these things. Doing so could help them die out, and make them a less common problem. Playing on these servers runs you the risk of all your stuff being deleted and pretty much any moment, cause if their server does not do as well as they think it will close, or they will probably soon wipe anyway, so save yourself the hassle, and end this vicious cycle. To those who run servers, and are mostly out there to make money. Legitimate servers can make money too, you don't have to use horrible practices to run your business. If people see how hard you work, and you give them good GM support, they will still support your server, in fact, they may even support it more.

If there is any legit servers out there reading this, i encourage you to spread the word, and put this list in game, or in your forums, or both, to inform your players about this!

Edited by TheMoreYouKNow

hi opalsnow

How will you manage to make interlude work on the Classic (god) L2 client? Does that include the sexy on screen damage and healing?

Edited by sanneh

hi opalsnow

How will you manage to make interlude work on the Classic (god) L2 client? Does that include the sexy on screen damage and healing?

not sure if you posted in the wrong topic or what :P 

So you just discovered that internet is full of bad guys or i missed something?

The reality is most people don't know all the scams servers use to simulate/stimulate population, and make their server look big and get population. I'm sure they are aware it of some of it, but its doubtful they know how bad it really is, and how much of it is fake, and how much is gained through immoral cut throat tactics.

This is to spread awareness to the people who actually care about the quality of their server, and should check for some of these things before playing/supporting them.

Edited by TheMoreYouKNow

Thanks captain obvious. If you don't mind I won't read that bunch of obvious things.

It may be obvious to some, especially this community (mxc) i posted this on many other outlets, however, as an admin that talks to players, especially server hoppers on a daily basis, most people don't know. That is why i am making such posts. It would surprise  you how many people are in the dark about this.

Besides these smut peddlers spew propaganda on a daily basis, anything to counter that, just a little bit, is a good thing.

Well, when there are not so many Lineage II players left, it's obvious that people will become more aggressive in advertising, even if it includes stealing players e.g. by offering top clans gear/castle ownership/whatever so that they would leave your server and go to another.

Life is tough, but you have to either DEAL WITH IT or just QUIT.

After all, what did you think when you started a private server? That you are going to leech all the AAA assets (client side) and make some easy money? Just because NC HQ does not care what happens outside Korea+Taiwan, doesn't mean someone else will not take measures to shut you down.

In short, if you REALLY believe that you listed PROBLEMS, you should QUIT RIGHT NOW.

Otherwise, DEAL WITH IT, captain obvious.

well i dont understand why there are so many players hovering around searching for shitty bugful projects while there are still official projects ( ATTENTION, i am not talking about god official, i am talking about this

https://4gameforum.com/categories/1537/ ) , not to mention that they are crying for servers that stay alive for 2 months max and their freaking op donations. stop whining and join the official project. end of discussion.

Well, when there are not so many Lineage II players left, it's obvious that people will become more aggressive in advertising, even if it includes stealing players e.g. by offering top clans gear/castle ownership/whatever so that they would leave your server and go to another.

Life is tough, but you have to either DEAL WITH IT or just QUIT.

After all, what did you think when you started a private server? That you are going to leech all the AAA assets (client side) and make some easy money? Just because NC HQ does not care what happens outside Korea+Taiwan, doesn't mean someone else will not take measures to shut you down.

In short, if you REALLY believe that you listed PROBLEMS, you should QUIT RIGHT NOW.

Otherwise, DEAL WITH IT, captain obvious.

Its clear you don't know why i am doing this, but thats ok :) 

Its clear you don't know why i am doing this, but thats ok :)

You think that if black slaves players will be educated enough on the matter of how certain slavemasters server owners operate, these slavemasters server owners will not be so successful?

Now that is a level of denial you don't see every day.

Wtb lord_rex, denial subject on it's way. Prepare your popcorn.

Edited by SweeTs

Wtb lord_rex, denial subject on it's way. Prepare your popcorn.

Here is my pricing:

1. Trolling topic to force moderators to delete it - 100€

2. Trolling topic to force moderators to delete its posts - 120€

3. Trolling topic to force moderators ban the topic's author - 150€

4. Trolling topic to force topic's author to commit suicide - 200€

5. Full pack (including forcing moderator to commit suicide too) - 300€

PS: I like your lovely Pikachu profile picture. It is so kawaii.

Edited by lord_rex