Server Defence

t3hjeff

Question

Hello, guys i had problem with lameguard so i disabled it on my server now i've yGuard and FirstGuard. Can those 2 replace Lameguard or do i need to get new version of it? and how do you think is it even worth to run Guards like that?

10 answers to this question

Russians are pros to create projects from other projects : for instance FirstGuard seems to be child project of RGuard, which is probably child project of X, which is itself child project of Y (exactly like l2p children L2J projects).

Don't cumulate "guard" types, you will cripple your server.

By yGuard I hope you don't speak about the obfuscator library.

yGuard bytecode Obfuscator 2.5.2

all in all which one of those 3rd party guards are ok? and do i even need them? cuz i ran a lot of servers without any Guard systems and everything seemed normal.

i know what reverse engineering is and what i've figured out so far is that you use obfuscator in order to prevent source to be modified so its the protection of the core and not server. i got it.

So why do you compare FirstGuard, which is probably one of the multiple clones of LameGuard, with yGuard ? It's like comparing a banana and a monkey.

I must add yGuard got no use at all, except if you publically publish your project and don't want others check sources. Even worst, the fact to obfuscate your sources also mean you obfusctate THE LOGS. Which is a true tragedy when it comes to debug an issue, as you have to generate a "table" and use that "table" to decipher the logs. Which is overall, overcomplicated, overannoying and overboring.

About Guards type, the use is supposed to be obvious : block third party softwares to ruin legit players experience. It's supposed to be GameGuard role, but GG never successfully made it, except annoying people.

If your FirstGuard stuff can't block one type of software (PHX, etc), then it's just trash and should be removed.

Edited by Tryskell

It's supposed to be GameGuard role, but GG never successfully made it, except annoying people.

Preventing hack tools is just a rather minor side effect of what GG really does.

The whole point of GameGuard for L2, ever since it was added mid C2, was never to block cheating software. It's true that for other games, like MUO, MS, etc. etc., GG will actively try to detect/block/report any cheating software and make playing the game impossible as long as it is running.

The primary use of GG for L2 is its "keyboard security module" as well as anti-malware tricks. Basically, it tries to prevent account theft of any possible kind. E.g. any [global] keylogger would see 'a's instead of username/password, as well as incorrect mouse movement stats, while GG also tries to prevent injection into DX or the game itself, so that no malware could bypass input obfuscation by getting it directly instead).

There are other ways the L2 client has in its design to counter 3rd party software usage, primarily HackShield integration and ExOrcMove/ExSearchOrc.

There are other ways the L2 client has in its design to counter 3rd party software usage, primarily HackShield integration and ExOrcMove/ExSearchOrc.

It can be a little bit more in detail about this?