Making The Code Execute

Malfey

Question

Greetings mxc community,

This is will be the most silly question that you'd ever heard from someone and apologize for that..

I will try to demonstrate my issue so you guys can clearly understand it.

Let's say that i have the following class inside one package 

public class Demonstration {

public Demonstration() {
    }

public void doStuff() {
    //code
    }

Normally i'd create a new  Demonstration object inside the Main class to call its method. However, when it comes to l2j i dont know how to actually execute the code from inside the game.

I can write newbie code but i cant even test if it is actually working!

Any help would be highly appreciated

Thank you

11 answers to this question

depends on when you want it to execute?

Server startup ? Gameserver.java

PvP kill? L2PcInstance dodie or increasePvPKills methods

keep in mind that the doStuff method must be static to be accessed or you need a new Instance of the object or more simply an instanceholder

If you want to do stuff once without declaring an object for a class and calling its method, just create an anonymous class, it's much better.

Here's some reff: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/355167/how-are-anonymous-inner-classes-used-in-java

You have to know the action that executes what you want for example if you want a simple message to show up when you pick up whatever stuff you put your code into the pickUpMe() or whatever its name or you can put it into the addItem method since its called on inventory update or even add it to the getItem packet. Mostly you need to experiment where its better to put it but thats the wasiest way, try to avoid creating a lot of small classes for tiny bit of things.

It entirely depends of what you want to do.

Basically you got the possibility to :

• instantiate a class, such as L2PcInstance, holding different parameters for different players. You create a new object, fill infos, destroy the object.
  • "static-fied" the class using a singleton, such as any datatable holding structure, in order to get a unique reference of that class. You access it using "ClassName.getInstance().methodName()". You laso have the possibility to use static keyword on a method if all parameters are passed on the method, and it doesn't use any class variable (or until it static aswell).

Tell what you want to do.

Oh, i see

Let's say that i want to PM - spam each online player over a random amount a time, Would the following code actually do something if i initialize it first in gameserver class as a thread?

public class Demonstration implements Runnable {

private L2PCInstance activeChar;

public Demonstration() {
      activeChar = ??? // How do i actually initialize this variable to represent each online player? :(
    }

public void doStuff() {
    activeChar.sendPMMethod("This is just a test");
    }

public void run() {
    doStuff();
    Thread.sleep(new Random().nextInt(5000));
    }
}

Thanks for your replies guys :)

I guess you could do it like that. You could put it under doStuff() and delete Demonstaration() ? Correct me if I'm wrong.. :P

CreatureSay cs = new CreatureSay(activeChar.getObjectId(), Say2.TELL, activeChar.getName(), text);

Collection<L2PcInstance> pls = L2World.getInstance().getAllPlayers().values();

for (L2PcInstance player : pls)
            player.sendPacket(cs);

activeChar.sendPacket(cs);
Edited by SweeTs

Yah.. so true, then it becomes 1 line :P

Broadcast.toAllOnlinePlayers(new CreatureSay(activeChar.getObjectId(), Say2.TELL, activeChar.getName(), text));

TreadPoolManager.getInstance().scheduleGeneralAtFixedRate(() -> {Broadcast.toAllOnline(new CreatureSay(blabla)}); java8 

Oh, i see

Let's say that i want to PM - spam each online player over a random amount a time, Would the following code actually do something if i initialize it first in gameserver class as a thread?

public class Demonstration implements Runnable {

private L2PCInstance activeChar;

public Demonstration() {
      activeChar = ??? // How do i actually initialize this variable to represent each online player? :(
    }

public void doStuff() {
    activeChar.sendPMMethod("This is just a test");
    }

public void run() {
    doStuff();
    Thread.sleep(new Random().nextInt(5000));
    }
}

Thanks for your replies guys :)

Even if that was the way your constructor misses the L2PcInstance parameter to initialize your var

Edited by xdem

Yah.. so true, then it becomes 1 line :P

Broadcast.toAllOnlinePlayers(new CreatureSay(activeChar.getObjectId(), Say2.TELL, activeChar.getName(), text));

its still the same code ;p

its still the same code ;p

Yup, that was the point to reduce the code, from let's say 10 lines to 1 hue :D