Why make random servers?

Why?

What gives people the impression that trying to randomly arrange numbers for rates/adena/sp/and other config parameters will make their server popular?

I mean there are 30 servers daily trying to do that, some claiming their "rates=1*random+machinecost+timespentopeningserverinminutes(<300)/expectedlifetime" is the best server out there and those who argue should "look at their own servers" and try calling it fail afterwards.

Before you call me stupid/dumb/greek/malaka - I am just curious what people think, and whether bringing attention to this may actually encourage more thoughts in regards to development.

Why?

What gives people the impression that trying to randomly arrange numbers for rates/adena/sp/and other config parameters will make their server popular?

I mean there are 30 servers daily trying to do that, some claiming their "rates=1*random+machinecost+timespentopeningserverinminutes(<300)/expectedlifetime" is the best server out there and those who argue should "look at their own servers" and try calling it fail afterwards.

Before you call me stupid/dumb/greek/-beep-a - I am just curious what people think, and whether bringing attention to this may actually encourage more thoughts in regards to development.

Powertrippin and making a quick buck are the two most popular. Regardless of the reason it's painful to watch.

Powertrippin and making a quick buck are the two most popular. Regardless of the reason it's painful to watch.

Is it really THAT profitable?

I mean I'm not talking about all those servers that were made through the blood and sweat of devs like Leluche and then milking money out of that.

I am talking about the tens of daily random chronicle random rate servers. You have to rent a machine, a domain, have to go though the trouble setting it all up. Most servers probably don't even get 10 people online, considering ,optimistically thinking, the playerbase is around 1k spread around all these random servers and 1-2 giants. How would one profit with such opposition?

Do they just trust dumb luck and figure one day they can score a break even with the monthly rented machine against their first donation from their 1 in 12 attempts?

P.S. Geokiller - no hard feelings D:

Is it really THAT profitable?

I mean I'm not talking about all those servers that were made through the blood and sweat of devs like Leluche and then milking money out of that.

I am talking about the tens of daily random chronicle random rate servers. You have to rent a machine, a domain, have to go though the trouble setting it all up. Most servers probably don't even get 10 people online, considering ,optimistically thinking, the playerbase is around 1k spread around all these random servers and 1-2 giants. How would one profit with such opposition?

Do they just trust dumb luck and figure one day they can score a break even with the monthly rented machine against their first donation from their 1 in 12 attempts?

P.S. Geokiller - no hard feelings D:

The majority of these generic 4 day servers are hosted on peoples home computers and they use free hosting for the site and setting up L2J is a few clicks. They get a population of 30-50 people and a few of those always donate to become "king" for those few days so they do make a little money usually. For those really bad servers I think it is more about the powertrip though. The next level is ones that actually get a real domain and rent a cheap server at lets say OVH. They get a few people at the start before people see it is yet another crappy server but yeah they do make money usually in those first few days than poof everybody leaves and they close it down only having to pay 1 months rent on a cheap server.

It's sad but true.

I'm gonna say only 2 words.

Quantity > Quality

Lovely ideal.

How do you promote that?

I am curious - do people actually like those servers? I mean, just some random rates and all that.

Surely they don't go there out of mere naive thought that the advertised "proffessional team and gamemasters" is actually any part true...

Lovely ideal.

How do you promote that?

There are people who try to make their own server and live their dream they become admins/gms whatever and they feel proud of that. When the time passes they just quit and leave the world of lineage 2 forever since they believe they have achieved everything from beeing the masters of the game. There are people who don't have knowledge on development either it's java , client or server one. Those ones just waste some of their time to open a server and probably feel kings (?) while playing w/ people who don't have the same access with them. On the other hand there are people who have worked for more than a year on a simple server and they feel just great for doing that they feel completed as people. Changing the rates is not finally the key of success and only the community can judge a server by showing the "x" project's team their success or failure by staying or leaving it.

That's how I 'promote' quantity > quality.

That's not promoting :)

I agree with what you said entirely, but I was asking on how would people be encouraged to do that.

If you trust that people waste time on making random servers just to make them selves feel superior, do I just quit looking at the server advertisement forum now? :D

There are people who try to make their own server and live their dream they become admins/gms whatever and they feel proud of that. When the time passes they just quit and leave the world of lineage 2 forever since they believe they have achieved everything from beeing the masters of the game. There are people who don't have knowledge on development either it's java , client or server one. Those ones just waste some of their time to open a server and probably feel kings (?) while playing w/ people who don't have the same access with them. On the other hand there are people who have worked for more than a year on a simple server and they feel just great for doing that they feel completed as people. Changing the rates is not finally the key of success and only the community can judge a server by showing the "x" project's team their success or failure by staying or leaving it.

That's the right answer,"they want to feel like they are masters and the have they're own server with 20-25 ppl".That makes 'em proud.

I pretty much agree with the above. They just think they've achieved something by copying and pasting onto their servers a few NPCs, changing configs and editing some htmls.

What annoys me most is that some of them tend to get a decent amount of people and they keep making money out of the donations so they last for a good couple of years. *hint hint*

Are u talking for urself?

This formula for configs is too complex for the Greek mind.

rates=1*random+machinecost+timespentopeningserverinminutes(<300)/expectedlifetime

L2J packs and stuff is too easy to get and there are loads of guides out there on how to set up your own server including all the necessary links/programs.

In the private server advertisement section (even topsites) most are featureless servers that are based on L2JFrozen and has a free domain. A funny pattern I noticed is that a lot of them lie or make up stuff for the server host. There is no real dedicated host yet they write that their server has 2 CPU's and 24 GB ram or something, but in reality it is home hosted. Few other things that are commonly listed is the '100% balance, 0 bugs' and the 'anti hack/DDoS' protection. Those do not exist and most of those servers can be taken down or effected by a simple Slowloris DoS of some sort. Not to mention 90% of them are HOME HOSTED and do not have a dedicated machine, nor can they even write their own features/intro/rules because they are lazy and their English levels do not go that far as to write about their own server. You can see many sites with the exact same motto, intro, rules, features (some Interludes even copy Freya features D:).

It really sucks how every day I see over 10 random servers that pop up from no where with the exact or very identical features. A few years ago private servers were mostly kinda good since it was harder to obtain and manage plus it required a bit of skill. I realized there's no point hating on those server (like 500 or more of my posts are me hating on people's servers), because they don't care and they think that their server is superior over others.

Setting up a stupid home server gives them a sense of power (like Dev said) and lets them feel as if they can do anything they want. If you have not noticed, there is quite a number of people in this community (others too) who label themselves '~~!!**^[(Dev)]^**!!~~%InsErTSTupiDNamE' or '|-=-ADM-=-|[iNseRTsTupiDnamE]*~' just because they edited their config files or turned on the server console. There is really only like 7 or 8 people in this forum who are eligible to label themselves 'developer'. You can see this on Facebook also. [Examples of stupid Facebook names: Master Lineage (note his stupid pictures and name and comments), Dev Thor (note his stupid pictures and info), Developor Toral (look at his stupid info/pictures)] I have nothing personal against the Facebook profiles listed. I found them in my 'suggested' list and stuff and I thought it was real stupid. I'm sure you can find a lot of them on this site too.

No, quantity is not better then quality in this case. I'd much rather see 10 good servers then 100 stupid ones that pop up with very identical features (the case now). Is that how you see things? quantity over quality? o_o

stupid.png

This is the current MxC situation every day. The ones in red are the ones that have the exact same features or 90% identical. Notice how they are all Interlude and based off L2JFrozen. I usually do not hate on a server unless I log in first to actually provide valid facts (unlike SOME people who just spam 'home maded!' 'fail!'). Sometimes I point out what they can change or how they can improve even in the future if they play on opening another.