L2 Coordinates Info

Bumble

Question

I've been working on parsing the npcpos and area files for L2Homage, but I could use some info regarding the coordinate system.

I'm a little unsure of what these numbers mean. When looking at npcpos, the different zones are created through this structure:

territory_begin [territory id] {{number1, number2, number3, number4};{number1, number2, number3, number4};{number1, number2, number3, number4}}

Each region in the grid consists of 256x256 blocks, each with 8x8 cells. Each cell has 8 units of length to each side (16 total).

Using this image as reference:

all_interlaced.jpg

I can see that the world is 20 regions wide, 16 regions high. That gives a total world width of 20x256x8x16 = 655,360 units and a total height of 16x256x8x16 = 524,288 units.

The center of the coordinate system is in the middle of the map, so any coordinate zone can be calculated by using the formula:

rX = number of regions on X axis

bX = number of blocks on X axis

rY = number of regions on Y axis

bY = number of blocks on Y axis

c = number of cells

u = number of units per cell

xRegion = (((rX *bX * c * u) / 2) + xcoordinate) / (bX * c * u) + 10

yRegion = (((rY *bY * c * u) / 2) + ycoordinate) / (bY * c * u) + 10

If I take this as an example:

{{-125408;37714;1129;1329}}

X coordinate is obviously -125408, Y is 37714, Z is 1129.

Using the formula described above, this coordinate is located in block:

((327680 + (-125408)) / 32768) + 10 = 16.2
((262144 + (37714)) / 32768) + 10 = 19.1

16_19, which makes it the kamael tutorial area. So the math works out.

What I need to know is, what's that 4th number? The one that repeats in every coordinate, after the Z value? 1329 in this case.

I also need some info regarding layers. Some regions have multiple layers. I'd like to know how to identify the different layers (or if it's possible). Am I looking the wrong place?

Thanks,

-B

Edited by Bumble
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

8 answers to this question

It's a 3 Dimensional game  X Y minZ maxZ. Without this it would be 2 dimensional world. A 3D Polygon without Z values(min max) it would be a flat polygon encapsulating everything.

Edited by PARADISE
  • Thanks 1

Of course! That makes so much sense, thanks. I was considering it, but the layers threw me off. Is there any way to determine which layer it's on then?

I might be mistaken, but I think you have to open a geodata file and get it from there. Maybe something like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfxjnObL128

Edited by PARADISE

Hmm yeah, I can definitely grab the layers through the geodata file - but the territories are stored on the server. I can see how many layers there are per region, but there's no indication of the layer info in the serverfiles I've looked at so far. Well, the minZ and maxZ values are indicative for sure, but that won't be very reliable when parsing.

If I trusted the data, I'd just check if any territories overlap on the Z axis, but everything I've parsed so far tells me that there are inconsistencies everywhere.

I was hoping there'd be an actual value somewhere in the server files. Maybe not.

No scripts have the concept of Geodata information besides the x y z locations, you would need to parse the actual conv.dat's to get more detailed Geo info without help from L2server

i guess that 4th number is direction?if you wanna know about map layer,i think you should looking into conv.dat files in sever side.

Edited by sandeagle