[News] Valve update.

Blane

VALVE UPDATE 22/10/2008 [iNFO , PROBLEMS & SOLUTION!]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok I saw some complains in many forums, I had pms, many people asked me in msn.I didn't know but now I learned some things and I want to write them here.Everyone who has a problem with the client and stuff shall read the whole topic!

- The beginning of the "FAIL".

We all know that valve has created counter-strike, the favorite game, of all ages.Valve is an organization of people.They are making updates.That was the reason of the yesterday's failure.So...before some hours -in fact at 02:00(GMT+2)- Valve has made an update to counter strike.That update was so fast and we all surprised!We couldn't connect to any server and we blame VALVE for it.

- We were a bit wrong.

As I said VALVE is a huge company.We can't blame them for a little update.So what they did was that they changed the protocol of the clients so no one could connect to any non-updated server.What was the problem? The servers were not updated and no one could connect because the server had protocol 47 and the client 48.

- The solution!

The major problem was that.After 4 hours searching in the net, finally the solution came from VALVe.The noob engineers found that they didn't share something (a patch or...) for the poor people.So they shared a new thing which called SteamWorks Beta and can be found and downloaded from the urls I have at the end of this topic.So...download this and try to play again.

- The Revolution of Non-Steam!

Of course non-steam users have no problems on that.They didn't update their client so they can play in the non-updated servers.When all the servers are updated then a new patch would be released and the non-steam users will have again access to the game.So yes...keep playing free and stay to the pub...we want this! :)

- The Update Content

Bug Fixes

* Removed the need to manually re-login and re-authenticate to Steam while in game

* Fixed a crash on startup when running windowed with a non-standard desktop resolution

* Removed the display of saytext (in-game chat text) from players whom you've blocked in Steam friends

* Locked down several engine cvars to prevent malicious script exploits

* Enforced file consistency on several sprites in Counter-Strike

* Removed "ex_extrapmax" cvar (no longer needed)

Server

* Added "-noaff" command-line option to disable setting of thread affinity

* Added "bannedcfg" cvar so admins can choose which file is written to by the "writeid" command

And something else.The mwheelup feature for the "Silent Running" works fine and you just have to hit ctrl faster.Aslo the avatars in the scoreboard...I didn't see anything like this in the update... :/

- Links

1) www.steampowered.com/news/1921/

2) www.valvesoftware.com/news.php

3) http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=720337

4) www.google.com (for helping me out..)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many of the people complain about the cs:s like new features.I am a part of them.I don't agree about all these stuff and I want cs back.In fact I don't think that VALVE could bring an update back...I really think this is a big fault for a company and they will lose many customers...But...it's their fault.Update shouldn't be there...GO PLAY CS:S if you don't like... :@

Anyway I don't want to continue on this...I didn't like the update but I like that I am capable of playing again cs after 10 hours :)

-Blane

As they say the problem is fixed now.I made my server steamed and now no one has problems...

Thanks for the +.We have a duty as cs moderators to give as much information as we capable of :)

-Blane

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...