Windows 10 Lineage 2

Applications packed with a very old Themida/WinLicense used to work in early Windows 10 builds (think 98xx). After that, they changed something (one of the features added later on was 'system compression', which hooks into file I/O routines) that causes old Themida to enter an infinite loop.

All L2 chronicles without WinLicense are not affected, and can be run on Windows 10: KR internal builds, 2002 Alpha, Prelude Beta, …, C5.

All L2 chronicles using an even moderately recent WinLicense version are not affected: Epilogue, Freya, …, IO.

If you want to play anything between IL and GF (inclusive), you must unpack the client build or do not use Windows 10.

How about that, IL and GF lovers? Microsoft decided it's time for you to move on.

As far as IL (and only IL, not Kamael and later chronicles which are also affected), infinite loop is entered shortly before attempting to load imm32.dll and msctf.dll.

The issue will be some incorrect assumption in Themida VM generated code, which was actually noticed and fixed by its own developers years before Win 10 even reached public attention (that's why GE and later L2 clients have no issues).

Whats so nice in W10? Bah :D

Lower Windows folder size for us SSD owners. (and lower memory footprint on startup)

You know how giant it gets after a few years with countless windows updates pass :D

Oh, and should I mention DX12 support? Eagerly awaiting for some engine to be updated to use the new API so that someone can finally rebuild a real game and check out the performance.

Well, how about trying to give this post as much attention as possible and hope that microsoft will find a fix/patch for us? :D

(Just click on "Me too" below the post there)

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/lineage-ii-interlude/7aeda94c-32f4-4392-8580-cd9b55a39068?tm=1438337729254

Edited by frtzngbllr

Just installed W10 Pro in a VM and verified the issue.

@Zeeyo, Is this something you're going to work on or release a fix for?

I will GLADLY donate to the "Fix IL on W10" fund if you give me info. Or OFC anything else i can do to help :P.

[ My Testings ]

- It seems like W10 fucks with any EXE / DLL you place on the drive where the OS is running. I copied a known working system folder to W10, ran it, ( failed ofc ) then copied it back to W7 and it no longer works. Get all sorts of entry point errors.

Edited by tk422

@Zeeyo, Is this something you're going to work on or release a fix for?

The real fix has been already made @ Themida side. Of course, it's not retroactive :D

I will try playing around with the compatibility toolkit, for I still have some ideas what may be functioning differently. Don't get your hopes up just yet.