Unique Faction Server

An4rchy

Hello guys.

As i have started messing with l2j again, i came up this morning with some ideas with a friend of mine.

I was thinking of a server with a unique faction (religion) system. Let me explain...

Each player will begin as a Heretic. Heretics follow no religion and fight for their own, meaning they can kill anyone regardless of religion, other Heretics too and they can be killed by anyone. Each kill will give x adena, which will be used for equipment and other stuff. There are 2 paths which the Heretics can follow (like quests). Path of the first religion(the name of the first) and the second(the name of the second). This quests will consist of multiple tasks to be completed, such as killing y players of the opposing religion, neutralizing a conquerable zone(i will explain further here) etc... Once completed, the Heretic will successfully become part of the religion he has chosen. Heretics will not be able to join a clan and will only be able to create parties with other Heretics that are following the same path.

Players that are part of a religion will get a little bigger reward for killing players of the enemy religion and the same reward as Heretics for killing Heretics. Killing Heretics that are following the path of the opposing religion will grand these players Heretic Points. These points will be used for something(thinking about that).

Each religion will have a town to its name, meaning their base. The players of the opposing religion will not be able to enter this town(unless a special event/feature is added here, like siege for example). The shops etc will be placed in these towns.

Spread within the Lineage 2 world, there will be conquerable zones. These zones will be neutral at the beginning and will be neutralized every x time(a week? a day?). For each zone that a religion has conquered, there will be bigger rewards at pvp. The zones can be captured by killing a flag, capturing a flag, killing a boss or something, still thinking about that. This is where the pvp action will be done. Special events could be held on these zones too, like capture the flag to get points per second event etc...

Bosses, this is a fact that hurts only thinking about it, since i have TONS of unique ideas in my mind but, if you take in consideration what happened to my last server with the AI bosses, i'd rather avoid even giving a try.

I have thought of the fact that if this server is opened for few days, then the new Heretics will find difficulties playing the server since they will be easily killable, so i'm thinking about giving the Heretics extra opportunities for equipment, such as farming mini solo bosses or completing tasks(assassination contracts etc...) for a religion.

Regarding custom items, i'm thinking of something simple and playable, such as dynasty armors and weapons boosted a little bit(which means that draconic can still vs dynasty light if it is more + etc...).

About the Olympiads i'm thinking about keeping this feature as it is, or i'll see...

I'd like to add that i have NOT started working on such a server since i haven't seen a successful faction server these days and, to be honest, i'm a little scared of failure. Also, the client will be Interlude(as always).

I'm posting this thread to see if there is interest in such a server and also to gather more ideas that will improve/change the gameplay.

Edited by An4rchy

very very very good i like it and i want to see a new project and new ideas coming up what client are you thinking about this?

Thank you, i mentioned it in the first post, Interlude.

Ideas are good so far.

But i'd suggest you work on the clan system a bit more or it will just end up on the classic one-clan-each-faction on the server.

Edit: A quick idea, revert double-war effect to default clan member vs other factions to give X clan points for each kill.

Edited by Voqus

Thank you, i mentioned it in the first post, Interlude.

Not bad indeed but interlude for these kind of servers is bit sucks. I don't know why i have stuck with H5 but i heard from everywhere that H5 got the most stable and bugless projects.(most of them at least are bugless anyways..) but i would like to see another one unique faction H5 except OvC.

Well, I'd say try with H5. Sahar moved to H5 his server, looks like no real interest and "nothing fresh" on interlude, but well. :)

Basically, you can talk with him about faction server, how it rolls and so on. Then judge if it's worth :P

At worst, you can sell your modification for good amount of $$ ;)

Edited by SweeTs

Well, I'd say try with H5. Sahar moved to H5 his server, looks like no real interest and "nothing fresh" on interlude, but well. :)

Basically, you can talk with him about faction server, how it rolls and so on. Then judge if it's worth :P

At worst, you can sell your modification for good amount of $$ ;)

anything needs $$ to be the best into server.. Else will not have any progress.. this is the bad truth...

You didnt get my point, dont you :P

PS: Anarchy, I still have your old religion system, 4 years old :D

Edited by SweeTs

Hehe I remember that one but it's far from what I have in mind :P

The problem is that I have no knowledge of h5 client and its features...

Hehe I remember that one but it's far from what I have in mind :P

The problem is that I have no knowledge of h5 client and its features...

You can simply check other faction servers(From hopzone/topzone) or even from here just to get first "Image" about what they're running...

What i mean is that i have no idea what new features like new buffs(after il) new classes new items do.

For example elements, attributes, these new buffs that replace the old ones etc...

So i'd rather avoid postIL chronicles or i should co-operate with someone that has knowledge of these stuff.

What i mean is that i have no idea what new features like new buffs(after il) new classes new items do.

For example elements, attributes, these new buffs that replace the old ones etc...

So i'd rather avoid postIL chronicles or i should co-operate with someone that has knowledge of these stuff.

Why don't you searching for videos about that client to check out before gonna start w/e you want based on your idea for faction server?? I think there are alot of ways that you can check those features and rest stuff of H5 client.

Don't like the roleplaying tryhardness of religion. Don't like quests either, but thats personal. I get where this is going though, and its a good idea.

However, if it's openworld faction server - it will die very quickly. This was shown by Shards Of Destiny faction PvP server a while back. The reason is that to reliably continue fighting over particular object requires strong players logistics - establishing spawns for your faction, delegating protection, organising, etc.

Majority of players are so casual that this will never hold. Instead a small few will play well and beat everyone LONG TERM. This will make the game very agonising for a lot of people and demotivate them from getting out of town. It also encourages avoiding direct confrontation, because objectives can be carried out without having to engage with other players, like when your enemy is occupied with another objective, so far far away that they won't even bother coming after you because it will be too late, or when your enemy sleeps. 

The advantage of events in L2RvB was seen very well with put in contrast to this method - events offered a quick, easy, drop-in/drop-out method of getting into a fight, and bailing if shit got bad without ever feeling guilty. You could argue that some few people would dominate just as in L2SoD; the thing with events is that success is short term.

If its open-world then people will be too spread out. You'd need what? 4k people outside of town to actually run into a player every 2000 ingame units or something. 

You would need a way for players to find other players very easy.

Also, giving out special rewards for killing nonfaction players or players on the path of achieving faction status is bad - it will promote older players hunting newer players and when your server reaches critical mass of new players (eventually they stop coming), players will make alts that they will kill. Not only is this exploitable, it also diverges from the focus of the game - capturing towns, etc and instead shifts the focus to farming currency/rewards (see Planetside 2).

Overall, I can see the advantage of moving away from explicit "Press this button to become Red, press the other to become Blue" method of faction selection. Making it depend on your ingame decisions makes the transition more fluid. 

But beyond that I don't see that much new, never mind stuff that won't be broken.

@client - why you care about what new stuff is in postIL? If you think you don't enough about it - remove it. Attributes aren't even a good feature anyway. 

Use newer clients for more assets/models/animations.

Edited by Epiquin

First of all thanks for the comments.

Where to begin..

As regards the new players being hunted down, things will be a little more complicated here. Yes, there is a reward (a small one prolly) for killing Heretics that are following the opposing path, but these Heretics will 'unlock' several features while following the path. Most important? Parties. They will most likely not act alone but in groups in order to complete the quest faster.

Also, i mentioned in first post that there will be other features for Heretics in order to advance their equipment without having to pvp old players. About cheating, i will add more than enough checks in order to make sure there isn't a glitch.

Lastly i want to say that i might have been misunderstood when saying that 'spread within the world of Lineage 2 there will be conquerable zones'. What i really meant was that there will be several zones in the gatekeeper which will be conquerable and this is where the action will be held.

Also, if a religion decides to follow piece(not actually a feature, just kidding :D), which means they want to avoid fighting, there will be special events, like sieging the enemy religion's town etc...

Well, i'd like to add here that the only reason i have not already started working on such a project is the 'close-minded' l2 community. Whenever there is a new feature in l2, if it isn't easy and it doesn't make you feel pro, people will not even try it. Exceptions exist here though, because there are people like myself who search for new, unique gameplay modes/features in order to keep being interested in the amazing world of l2/l2j.

Edited by An4rchy