Learning The Basics...

About a year ago, I finally decided to grab the huge tome of "java in a nutshell" and began to read it, engulf the information and try and create new things. When I get stuck on something and I try to find help on Web, I usually get no response or the response is incorrect because some idiot decides to be funny and troll. Was ever like this before? Were people so childish and selfish and did not give a hand when they knew the answer. I finished reading the book and I still have huge gaps in my knowledge. I probably know 10% of basic java. But I don't call myself a "developer" like others do (mainly greeks sorry about that xdem). Veterans just sleep in the caves waiting for nothing, and the newbies can't climb up that cave because... barriers.

What do you guys think? Should people that know alot should help alot ? or they worked hard to get to where they are so they don't want to share the knowledge?

I worked "alone" and hard to develop aCis (and in the process learning java), I got no use to help others except :

• helping another human, and telling to myself I'm not so useless as a human being.
  • losing my time, which I could use for another thing than L2J (notably playing or fapping).
  • get a new guy on my Skype PMing me ONLY when he got a problem (otherwise I don't exist).

--------------

I often help on help sections when the question isn't totally ridiculous. In previous forums I could see my % posts on Help section, it was something like 65% of my overall posts. I help people which works on aCis for example, I made some internal tutorials to make helpers understand how a script is written. I also "coach" people regarding their work, they show me, I give hints/advices.

What's the point to help a random people, except losing your time ? And help another, and another... It's never ending. You earn nothing doing that. And I doubt once you got "the sacred knowledge" you will give a shit about compiling errors of others people.

--------------

If I can hint you, reading books won't help you coding. I'm myself terrible reading books, and I learnt Java reading code (and ONLY reading L2J project). You got no clues about what you do at first, it takes weeks/months to figure idiot things, but in the end you can manipulate whatever you want. So open eclipse, download latest L2J sources and that's it, read, read and read again, edit, edit and edit again and experiment, experiment and experiment again.

As I already said, L2J is 80% organization and 20% java. The java part is basic. The organization is what you must learn. How to edit a Cursed Weapon behavior ? You got some parts on .xml, you got the model CursedWeapon, you got the manager CursedWeaponManager, and obviously some data stored on L2PcInstance, which is the player instance. How can I tell you that from memory ? Because I know my project. Organization can't be GIVEN to another guy, you have to figure it by yourself.

About Java langage itself, it's really a low part. You only need a working brain and some living cells to figure the logic behind it. When you speak, the important thing is HOW WORDS ARE ORGANIZED in your sentence.

Now, what are your barriers ? What stop you to open Eclipse and figure things by yourself ? Before Java, I coded in DARKBASIC around my 16yo, and before that in BASIC on my calculator in school and on my 1986 AMSTRAD (as old as me) when I was 12yo. I mean, I didn't do any studies about programmation. I'm far to get asian awesomeness aswell. I didn't open a single book, compared to you. If I can do it, anyone (anything ?) with a brain can do it.

--------------

Stackoverflow website and internal javadoc got generally all answers needed regarding Java related questions. I also say, all what you want ALREADY EXISTS. You only have to search an existing behavior. You want to schedule a task which is executed after 10 seconds ? When you kill a monster, there's a 3sec delay, when you pickup you got a 500ms delay, all castles sieges are scheduled to run at X times... You can find whatever you want, it already EXISTS under another form in sources. You just have to figure WHERE, which is an ORGANIZATION issue.

Well thanks Tryskell, I can see your point in helping randoms, probably if I had the knowledge like you guys have, I wouldn't waste it on someone that has shitty compile errors because they forgot a ; at the end of a clause or forget to add "else" in one of the line so the code can continue. I shall take your advice in terms of getting L2J and slaving over it. But I find books really interesting too, they give me the background information of java which I really need, and I think that is one of the reasons I carried on and I'm planning to finish of my server project, so I can learn more whilst it's running/ developing. Well everything I do, I do it on my own too, usually I try to look for help if I don't understand shit from an error it gives me, but I always try to solve it at all costs, as it annoys the crap out of me usually.

Firstly why you use my name in your emo topic? I can easily call me self pro developer since I 've put much effort and limitless time on developing l2j, but I didnt started with a random book like you did, I graduated from IT university like most legit developers, thus I can call myself superior than every other wannabe in here, probably including you.

Anyways to stay ontopic, why should I help you create your server? You think you are the center of the world? Like people HAVE to help you? No dude, just put your ass down and learn your job we are not your parents to do your work. If you fail let it go and spend your time somewhere else

You misunderstood my question, dear IT uni guy. You might be superior than me in terms of coding knowledge, but as a person in general I highly doubt it. I find your work interesting and your coding skills great, but you are just a douche in general terms. IT does NOT matter where you start from. IT matters HOW you continue, and whether there is any progress. I do this for a hobby, soon I will be going to uni but for a totally different course. This just fills up my time when I'm bored, this sucks me in. I did not ask in the things that I wrote for helping to create MY server. You think too much of yourself for who you actually are. 

PS. IF you didnt UNDERSTAND what the discussion was aiming at, read Tryskells response then try again.

You misunderstood my question, dear IT uni guy. You might be superior than me in terms of coding knowledge, but as a person in general I highly doubt it. I find your work interesting and your coding skills great, but you are just a douche in general terms. IT does NOT matter where you start from. IT matters HOW you continue, and whether there is any progress. I do this for a hobby, soon I will be going to uni but for a totally different course. This just fills up my time when I'm bored, this sucks me in. I did not ask in the things that I wrote for helping to create MY server. You think too much of yourself for who you actually are. 

PS. IF you didnt UNDERSTAND what the discussion was aiming at, read Tryskells response then try again.

Well, you don't know me, but there's a thing you mxc guys can't understand, I have no reason to be the good fairy in here, If you feel that I should or that you will be, I don't really give a single fuck. Peace

Well, you don't know me, but there's a thing you mxc guys can't understand, I have no reason to be the good fairy in here, If you feel that I should or that you will be, I don't really give a single fuck. Peace

I only added your name xDem to say that most Greeks open servers no idea what they are actually doing, and that you are not one of them. I don't give a fuck whether you are nice to people or a dick people, you can be whoever you want to be in all fairness.

About the "missing parts"... What sort of missing parts a newcomer got, according to you ? Specifically speaking of L2J project. Because "Java"... You can do Tetris or Pong or TicTacToe game, multiplayer or not, it stays "Java".

I agree L2J is kinda fat as project (1200+ files overall, without counting the DP side), but the organization can't be really "learnt" from one people to another.

Books can help you to understand some Java main points, such as inheritance or polymorphism. I personnally understood them reading the code. And yes it took weeks before I figure a class can extend another, but I was happy to discover it. What you figure by yourself stays on your brain forever, while what you read on book just dissapear (cf your History/Maths/whatever lessons when you're a kid :P).

For example what does boolean actually do, what is his purpose, how to use it correctly... many more, I gave that as an example because even if I know how to use it and where to put it, I have no idea what its purpose is. There are many more examples where I know what something does, but to use it on my own is just dark sorcery. 

so what is the difference between a public static and a private static boolean? my guess is public static is for the entire sequence and private is for the particular file?

so what is the difference between a public static and a private static boolean? my guess is public static is for the entire sequence and private is for the particular file?

there is no difference, its just an access modifier so other classes can't access that particular method cause they shouldn't, another usage is that if you don't want to provide source files to other's, they can't use/override/overload/extend your methods through their sources, other reasons are encapsulation, code style etc

Practically the access modifier makes no difference on the code and probably its ignored on runtime

Your question is wrong, it reveals that you don't know the 10% you said, the question should be whats the difference between private static boolean and private boolean

Edited by xdem

You jumped some pages of your book if you ask that :P.

A crap refers to anything which can be keyworded : variables, methods, classes.

You got different keywords :

- public / protected / private : it defines how the crap can be accessed. Public means it can be used anywhere on your project, protected only on classes which extends the class where the crap is, private means it's only on that class. That keyword is used only as a security valve, it doesn't have any impact on your project if you remove them all. But it gives an overview of where the crap is used.

- static / nothing : static means the crap is used by ALL instances of the given class, meaning there's no copy of the crap. It can properly boost performances if correctly used, as for example if a player shares a static copy, it means all players will share the same, and not create a copy. It also means that variable, if edited, will be used by ALL instances.

- final / nothing : if final, it means the crap can't be reassigned/overidden. A variable content can't be edited, a Map/List can't be = null / new Map/List, etc.

Edited by Tryskell

Yeah thank you for the clear answer, the book was pretty broad but it didn't actually specify this information clearly enough for me to properly grasp it.

Thanks again Tryskell now I know the actual difference!