[Request] Klownladge

andon19

Question

Well i have seen a lot guys like acis developer tryskel ( sorry mate if i write wrong ur name :/ ) elfocrash,mattew,wayne,masterio and other guys which they are so pro on l2j developing..

But before they come pro "devs" they were starters and that's i am curious what u did on this stage.

How you start?

What kind of books you study? ( java but what there so many versions  )

Which is the best java book i have to study for a starter?

What you did in order to understand how  l2j works?

Well i am noob i want to pass to the next level which is starter but i want to learn,so any usefull suggestion i ll appriciate it..

9 answers to this question

First of all we start with some english lessons and after that we go learn some C++ basics and after that we must understand the packages from OFF and go learn some assembly and C and finally we start learning java, the internet is filled with tutorials, feel free to search for them.

First of all we start with some english lessons and after that we go learn some C++ basics and after that we must understand the packages from OFF and go learn some assembly and C and finally we start learning java, the internet is filled with tutorials, feel free to search for them.

mate i think you are very offencive .. 

You probably meant "knowledge", until you made a sarcasm about "devs" being clowns :P.

That's a good question so far. I'm a self-taught person, on everything I do. I learnt to draw alone, I learnt to use Photoshop alone. I learnt to code alone. I personally begun to code really young, on my 1986 Amstrad, which is as old as me. You don't need to be particulary awesome, in my own case, the search of perfection is important. I try to produce "the best" of myself. When you code something, you have to tell to yourself "Was it the best approach ? Couldn't I do better ?".

It's exactly the same than drawing. Your first draws - notably anatomy - will probably deeply suck if you begin. But if you manage to get a critic look on your own work, (and it means eating your ego and say "Ok, I drew it like a monkey") then you can say where are your defaults and fix them.

About L2J itself, and Java : I never opened a single Java book. I learnt Java learning L2J organization : reading a lot of codes. I personally moved on really important Java notions for months (inheritance, etc), but then when you DISCOVER them, one day, by yourself, you feel really, really clever. That's the sort of things you can learn in a book, but you won't remember, or really bad, if you won't work on it. What you guess by yourself is stored in your brain forever.

If you want to learn L2J, there aren't a lot of solutions : you have to see how it is organized. If I can tell you such method can be found in such class, it's because I know the project composition. I know a summon is a L2Playable, and then a player is a L2PcInstance inheritates from L2Playable : giving that you can say than editing L2Playable would edit both summons and players behavior. That sort of logic can't be learnt, you have to explore yourself the project.

About Java, and developement in general, if you want some basics steps, I would say :

• Explore as much as you can the project you use. It's 80% of the work.
  • As a self-taught person, you only need time and observation. If you haven't time, forget it.
  • Google is your friend (mySQL query, java exception ? All exist already on inet). Javadoc is also a nice tool to explain what do methods. L2J itself got its own Javadoc.
  • What you want to do already exists in another form. Try to think where, then you only have to locate it and copy what you need.
  • A lot of methods exist and can spare you a lot of coding time. The point is to know where/what they are.

As a real rookie, I would tell you :

• Read tutorials about compiling && installing. Install it more than one time until you know what you do.
  • See how files are organized (data AND source).
  • Search for short codes to pass on the source.
  • Understand what you are copy-pasting, and remember WHERE. It's VITAL.
  • Try to add new ideas to the code you just successfully added. Give you HARDER goals each time.

Once you think you can pass codes and edit them without problems :

• Think about your own custom.
  • Cut it in steps. I invite you to use a pencil and a paper and write it. The point being to cut your custom in little blocks, easy to code, if possible not impacting each others.
  • Code steps after steps, until complete custom is ok.

Another interesting point, if you got already some knowledge about the pack is to check codes of others, and rewrite it from scratch. Either with only the idea, or cleaning the code you downloaded.

I hope my answer would help you. Finally, as aCis main dev, I help anyone who is ready to help my project, explaining concepts, but I invite you to pass already the rank of "real rookie" first, because some things can't be learnt the conventional way.

Your biggest enemies are TIME and YOURSELF.

Tk.

Edited by Tryskell

you mean by dontating??

it's not dontating and he mean with coding offer his "knowledge" and much more so this message was not for you i think :)

Tryskell thank you so much for the time you spend in order to give me that answer you have really oriented me " WHERE " i have to <start> and to pass the rookie level... ty so much that god bring you in this world :) i really appreciate your help :D thank you so much !!!! also this answer should be sticked really

Edited by andon19

Afff, no god involved around. Eventually Gran Kain and Einheisad :P.

And others people can reply (Matim, Wyatt, Sethek,...). It also could be interesting to know what answers would make L2J team developers aswell, so feel free to make a similar post on their forums. I don't own the "Truth", only a part of it. What works with me can't work with many others. More answers are needed to make a choice, and follow the way you find the most legit.

-------------------

About the donating question, no, lol. I help people who are ready to code for my project. For example scripts folder (even if that exemple becomes more and more rare, as we almost ended scripts). People try to convert Jython > Java, they share on forums. People who already fixed scripts in the past speak about issues, the author corrects it until we judge there's nothing more to correct. Then I test, fix (if still needed) and commit. If commited and after few shares, people eventually join IC group and can see the final result, what I await on the next script, etc.

Some people who couldn't make a single script are now able to make scripts from A to Z and correct work of others.

But we also have a zone dedicated for Customers, if that was your question. But I don't give "private lesson" if you donate. If I give a solution, I prefer it stays on a public support.

@Tryskell

I guess that my answer is not even interesting. Because I never had any java class/lesson/teacher or whatever... I never read a book of java...

I just started as all wannabes... trying to add patches... then sometimes getting errors... trying to know why those errors were happening, c/p some methods from l2jserver source and debugging to see what was going on there...

I was improving a little bit each time... and so. Well, I had an assignature of my career that was about creating a videogame with Flash that helped me to understand some basic structures of java, but not more.

Edited by ^Wyatt

Guest Elfocrash

@Tryskell

I guess my answer is not even interesting. Because I never had any java class/lesson/teacher or whatever... I never read a book of java...

I just started as all wannabes... trying to add patches... then sometimes getting errors... trying to know why those errors were happening, c/p some methods from l2jserver source and debugging to see what was going on there..

Yeah pretty much same here. I never really opened a java book until some days ago when i started reading a book in general programming by Robert C. Martin - Clean Code, - A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmansmith. 

Before i was able to code complex stuff i just read the l2j code, tried to do something similar to what i just read, then add a DB connection on it, then understand how stuff like taksmanagers and threadpoolmanager works etc. 

After that my uni came so i did some C# and later C++ Objective C and Oracle SQL. All of these just assisted on thinking as a programmer/developer but i never had pure java lessons. However i can tell you that Java is a really simple language that you can learn just by reading it.

Also you will find the F3 button in Eclipse magical as it will help you chain things a lot.

That's pretty much it from me. However it needs time and a really strong will as you might get dissapointed fast.