[EN][Guide]How to create a map with Valve Hammer Editor

KnightOfH3ll

Hello all i have made a similar guide in greek and now i make in english to help all ppl. So i will teach you how to make a playable block very easily. So lets begin. :)

First you need the programm itself and you can get it from here.

http://games.softpedia.com/get/Tools/Valve-Hammer-Editor.shtml

When you intall it before you get creative you must configure it. It looks difficult but infact its easy. So here is the screen that comes up the very first time you open it.

odigos1.png

This is the configurations tab. Press the "Game Configurations Tab"  and then the "Edit" button. A pop up will appear and you must select "Add" and type cstrike in the box. After that press "Add" on the box that sais "Game Data Files"

guide3n.png

In there you must add the file called halflife-cs.fgd. This will be in a sub-folder from where you installed Hammer.When you are done go to the "Textures" tab and press  "Add Wad". There you need the file called halflife.wad.

(Not)Wads files contain textures and surfaces for you to work with while building. The more you have the better. But the max number of wad files you can have is 8. If you have more there will be problems.

The halflife.wad is either in the forlder called CounterStrike/cstrike or CounterStrike/valve

guide4js.png

If you did all these you are done from configuring Hammer and you can start builing.

IMPORTAND. you must add NECCESERILY the hladlife.wad or else you will do nothing.

If we make the configure coreectly and press "New" we will see this screen

54190553.png

Now we select the block tool and take the cursor to the second uper camera. Now drag it while left click and make the size you like. After that realese the left click and place you cursor over the object and right click and select "create object"

57485601.png

When we create it we must have something like this. (Note) the colour might be different. It depends on wich textures you have selected.)

72097397.png

Now we must make a block by doing exaclty what you did for one side. You must make another 3 sides and connect them.

(Note) When you make one side you can copy paste it and put it on the other side so the size is the same. When we make it we must have something like this form the outside

68087027.png

And something like this from the inside

61447502.png

be very carefull and leave no gaps between the walls. If you make this mistake you will cause a leak. leaks are VERY bad. You wont be able to run the map at all or if you can you will have big problems. So always double check the walls before you go on to the next step.

Now you must select the whole block by pressing "Ctrl" and pressing left click on each of the parts. If you do it and have the whole block selected you will right click and sellect the option "Hollow" A pop up will come up. There will be a number. Most likely 16. Delete it and add the number "-32". This will make the block hollow. Making it playable.

When we do this we must add the spawnpoints for the players. Select the "Entity Tool" and on the right there will be a list of entities. You must pick the one called "info_player_start" if you want to add a counter terrorist and select the

"info_player_deathmatch" if you want to add a terrorist.

When you select one of the place one on the where you want on the map. Make sure you check all the cameras and see if the green lines touch anywhere. If they do then you must move it in order not to. Check the 2 lower cameras and raise the height and on the second lower move away from the wall ar anything. If it touches something and you try to play the map the players will get stuck and the map wont be playable. So be very carefull for this as well.

58149223.png

Next we must add something importand. A light. Light are not importand for maps to run but if you add them it gives a nice effect. Like with the spawns we go to the entity list and select the "light" Now place this in the ceiling but like the spawns it must not touch the ceiling. it must just be close.

79586391.png

This was it you made you first map. Now you must compile it.

First you need these files wich you can download from here.

http://www.superjer.com/files/zhlt253-17.zip

When you download them you MUST de-comprese them in the hard drive where you have CS installed. Some ppl have their hard drive devided into 2 pieces. So do i. Now oper the folder and see if all these arcieves are there. If ok the create a new text document.

11168288.png

IMPORTAND. As in the pic the file extensions must be shown. For example if it is ok it must be named like this

NewTextDocument.txt

If not it is just this.

NewTextDocument

If you can not see the file extensions then go to the "Control Panel"

And click on "Folfer Options'' You will see an option saying this"

Hide extensions for know types of files.

73779412.png

If it is ticked then un-tick it. And create your text document.

Now you must rename it with the exact name you have saved your map.

I have saved my map with the name "testmap"

So i will renamed the text to this

testmap.bat

If you do this you will see the text turn into an executable file. A batch file.

19285991.png

If its ok go to Hammer and load your map. Then press this "File- Export to .map"

And save it in the folder where you made the batch file. So for me it must be named as "testmap.map"

90163668.png

If this is done now go on the batch file and right click on it. Then choose "edit" A pop-up text document will appear. In there you will add these

@echo off

hlcsg -nowadtextures mapname

hlbsp mapname

hlvis mapname

hlrad mapname

copy mapname.bsp "C:\half-life\cstrike\maps"

cd "C:\half-life"

pause

hl -dev -console -game cstrike +sv_cheats 1 +map mapname

Now you must be carefull. Replace everywhere that sais "mapname" with the name of your own map. At the paths you must add the ones that match YOUR computer.

Tip. In the first add the game path until where it sais "maps" and the second untill where it sais halflife

So for my computer it must be something like this

@echo off

hlcsg -nowadtextures testmap

hlbsp testmap

hlvis testmap

hlrad testmap

copy testmap.bsp "D:\Counter Strike1.6\cstrike\maps"

cd "D:\Counter Strike1.6"

pause

hl -dev -console -game cstrike +sv_cheats 1 +map testmap

81393298.png

When you make sure all is ok execute the batch file and a screen with weird letters will come out.

81932862.png

When it ends it will say to press any key to continue. But you wont pres anything. Close the black window and see in the folrder if there is a file with the name of your map that ends with .error. If this happens then something was not typed correctly and also make sure that in the folder there are these files

hlcsg.exe, hlbsp.exe,hlvis.exe and hlrad.exe

If you dont see any error document then you are ok.

The .bsp file might be either in the "maps" folder where you have your CS so in that case just run the game. If the .bsp is in the folder with the batch filr just c/p it in the "maps"

If all is ok open the game and run your map.

testmap0002.png

And this is the end of the guide. I hope you learned the basics of mapping.

Plz be kind and post a feedback. Spam replies will be reported to mods. I want you ohnest opinion. Even if you dont like it.

Credits all go to me. The text is writen by me and the pics are from my pc. I am sorry that the pics are in greek but i just couldnt stand re-uploading them all. I hope you understand.

If you want to c/p this anywhere plz give credits. Ty and good mapping.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

BTW forgot to add. The code need for the compile is taken from superjer.  

Note: Greek ppl can read this guide. It's the same but in greek language.

You already took karma for the greek one! :P Thank you for the translate to english version!

A super and full explainable guide!

*Note: for greek ppl. Greek ppl can read this guide

http://www.maxcheaters.com/forum/index.php?topic=80381.0 It's the same but in greek version!

Gj and thank you!

Also Added a note in first topic and the tittle edited by me :)

Stickied!

Thx for the great reply

I see you realy apreciate my effort. Anyway i wont bother with you. You never seem to appreciate anything. I can do tutorial about the staff you AIO consists with full pics. But this is just a basic introduction to Hammer.

Anyway...

Yeah DreaM but KnightOfH3ll make a personal and hard work here.

Also is easer for the users, no one will download tut. Easy and cleary steps....

That's why it was downloaded 22 times right? Self made tutorial? He just made a tutorial while following one nothing psecial. Your effort is meaningless as a tutorial such as yours was already created nothing new introduced in here.

Maybe you want me to start making guides about things newcomers wont even understand? I can do that. I know a lot more about Hammer than you actually think i do. Where do expect some1 to start from? Creating mirracles of architecture? NO. Something realy basic and easy. Also when they succeed in doing this very simple thing they will have motivation to try more things. If you think you  you where born PRO in all then its fine with me. But everyone else started from somewhere. And all the guides i read about Hammer where a real pain in the ass cause its a hard programm to work with. So instead of trying to find things on the net that are not very good explained i posted here A BASIC GUIDE of the things they need to get started with instead of getting that pain in the ass as i did.

BTW i DID download your AIO because i didnt know some of them and i wanted to learn them.

Maybe you want me to start making guides about things newcomers wont even understand? I can do that. I know a lot more about Hammer than you actually think i do. Where do expect some1 to start from? Creating mirracles of architecture? NO. Something realy basic and easy. Also when they succeed in doing this very simple thing they will have motivation to try more things. If you think you  you where born PRO in all then its fine with me. But everyone else started from somewhere. And all the guides i read about Hammer where a real pain in the ass cause its a hard programm to work with. So instead of trying to find things on the net that are not very good explained i posted here A BASIC GUIDE of the things they need to get started with instead of getting that pain in the ass as i did.

BTW i DID download your AIO because i didnt know some of them and i wanted to learn them.

dipers.

Good guide!

But... If you have steam you just go to Tools Download SDK and dadam!You are done =]

PS:Where can I post tutorials of doing stuff at Hammer Editor?

Counter Strike Maps & Addons

Share Cs Maps or any other kind of addons here (No Exploits)(Guides related to map development should go here <3)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can i make any type of maps?

Even for Death-Run?

if yes i want to know a tutorial about this

btw:

this is a very good tutorial for the cs normal maps

Thx for the positiv feedback nervos. Yes with this programm all kinds of maps can be created. Even deathrun. I have never actually attempted making one and thats why i cant make a tutorial. You have to know that its realy hard though cause it concludes of loads of entities and triggers that are to advanced. Maybe i will have a look and try to make one but cant promise anything.