[Share][Guide]Making Your First Map in Counter-Strike: Source

Morian

1.  Introduction

First of all, I want to inform you why I am writing another sets of tutorials for CS:S. There are already countless tutorials on the internet on the same subject, but what makes these tutorials stand out is that I am going to make you into a good (or even great) mapper. I am going to teach good mapping techniques from the start, so you don't develop bad habits. I am going to infuse you with practical knowledge from the perspective of an experienced mapper. It's not just about the technical aspects of mapping--you can get that from any other counter-strike website. Follow my advice, and I'll save you from regret and massive mistakes in your mapping career.

In addition, I am going to cover the aesthetics aspects of mapping as well as the technical skills. Mapping really should be considered an art form. Simply getting a map to compile and load without error is not sufficient. A serious mapper should set his sights on something more. Not only are we going to discuss gameplay, but we're also going to cover performance optimization and how to make your maps realistic and beautiful. These will be covered in the advanced topics later, but once you mastered them, you're going to impress your friends and clan members to no ends.

So, without further delay, let's get right to it. By the end of this tutorial, you will know how to make a simple room in CS:S. But before we get started, you should already be familiar with the Steam directory structure and know how to work with the CS:S console. If not, I strongly recommend you reading up on the tutorial Configuring Hammer and Working with CS:S Console first.

2. A Quick Tour of Hammer

When Hammer first loads, there is no map open. Go ahead and start a new map by picking "New" under the "File" menu. Once the new file is created, there are two toolbars on the screen--one horizontally on top and one vertically down the left side. You will be using the tools on the left most frequently. The section on the right hand side is mostly for texture and entity selection. We'll cover them one by one in detail later.

Let's tidy up the various tool bars on the screen first. Drag the "VisGroups:" bar all the way to the right side (sometimes it starts out cluttering the screen, depending on the resolution of your monitor), so you'll have more screen real estate for viewing your map. The VIS groups is an organizational tool for map editing. I don't find it particularly useful, and many experienced mappers don't really bother themselves with it either. So let's ignore it for now.

After you've cleaned up your screen a bit, it should look like this:

t4-1.jpg

The central part of the screen consists of four different views of your map. The camera view is the most difficult to understand, but it's also the most powerful. Imagine you are actually inside the map, getting a preview of what your map is going to look like once it's done. You can "fly around" in the map using different camera controls, but we won't get into that right now.

The 3D camera view has several options, and you can select them by clicking on the word "camera" in the upper left corner of the grid. I find the "3D Flat" option most practical, but I occasionally use the "3D Textured" view as well. The other options are for specialized mapping tasks. Set it to "3D Flat" for now.

The top (x/y) view is the view of your map from a birds-eye perspective. It's the easiest to work with. Whenever you become disoriented, it's the best place to get you back on track. The side and front views are self-explanatory. They are important because they give you the position of objects along the vertical axis (or the z-axis). The z-axis determines how tall or how high the objects are in your map.

3. Constructing the Basic Room

After the tedious technical process of configuring Hammer and setting up your editor, this is the moment you have been waiting for. We're going to make your first map. It will not be considered a masterpiece, but it will be your very significant personal milestone.

The first thing you need to do is select the brush constructing tool, also known as the Block Tool. A brush is the term mappers use for a block of solid geometry. It could be a wall, a ceiling, part of a window, or even glass. For now, you can just think of a brush as something solid that the player cannot walk through in the map. The Block Tool is on the left side of the screen, as shown below:

t4-2.jpg

With the Block Tool, drag a square-shaped block in the top (x/y) view. Drag out a 256x256 block. Don't make it too big. The dimensions in Hammer is generally bigger than you expect. After you're done, it should look like the screen below:

t4-3.jpg

In the side (y/z) view, drag the rectangular shape until the block is 192 unit tall. When the block is 256 unit wide, 256 unit deep, and 192 unit tall, hit Enter to create the block.

t4-4.jpg

You're not done yet. The block you just created is completely solid. It's just like the wooden block kids play with. Players and entities cannot exist inside a solid block. So now you need to hollow out the inside of the block to make it into a room.

With your box still selected (the edges of the box in 2D view should be red), press Ctrl-H. A small dialogue box pops up, asking you for the thickness of the wall. As prompted in the dialogue, a negative number will extend the thickness of the wall outward, allowing more space inside the hollowed box itself. I tend to always hollow outward, so type in -32 for the thickness, and press Enter.

4. Placing a Simple Light Entity

As you'll learn later, light entities are crucial in making a map look good. Without proper lighting, even a map with great architecture and texturing would appear badly. Even the simplest map needs at least one light entity. Otherwise, the map would be compiled into a full-bright map (because the compiler would rather have brightness everywhere rather than complete darkness). Full-bright is a four-lettered word in the mapping community. Don't make the mistake of making a full-bright map!

So, let's select the Entity Tool on the left side (just above the Block Tool).

t4-11.jpg

Then, choose the light entity from the entity selection list on the right side of the screen. We'll leave the default setting for simplicity sake.

t4-6.jpg

Click somewhere inside your box on the top (x/y) view of your map. Then adjust the position of the light entity along the z-axis until it falls inside the box you've created. Make sure that the light is actually inside the three-dimensional box. This is very important. Otherwise, you'll turn out a full-bright map.

t4-7.jpg

After the light entity is positioned as above, press Enter to finalize its position. A small red dot with an X in it should appear inside your box.

5. Placing a Spawn Point

Now, we still need to place a spawn point inside the map. Otherwise, the map simply won't know where to put the player when the map loads from the console. We won't worry about buyzones and teams for now. For goodness sake, we'll spawn a counter-terrorist.

Make sure that you're still using the Entity Tool. On the right side of the screen, type info_player_counterterrorist from the entity selection box. As you probably notice by now, the list automatically zooms in on your entity as you type, so you don't actually have to type in the whole entity name. Press Enter to select it.

Click inside your box on the top (x/y) view again, and then adjust the vertical placement of your green player entity. It's very important that you place the entity at least eight units above the floor. Otherwise when the map loads, your player is going to get stuck in the ground, unable to move.

t4-8.jpg

6. Compiling Your First Map

We're almost there, and it's so close we can taste victory already. But first, we have to go through this painfully slow compiling process. Depending on the complexity of your map and the power of your hardware, a compilation could take anywhere between a few seconds to days. I've heard people spending more than three days compiling a single map. But it's a necessary evil to overcome before the game can load your map.

Now, here is a very important thing to remember. Have you saved all your hardwork yet? If not, go ahead and press Ctrl-S right now. Since it takes so long to compile, there is no telling what will happen during the process. The electricity could go out, a terrorist might bomb your apartment, your cat might pee on your keyboard...who knows. It's always a good idea to save your map source before compiling. This will save you immeasurable grief later, I promise.

For testing purposes, name your map firstmap.

Press F9, and a dialogue box will pop up. It's important to read carefully what each option says, especially during your first few times compiling.

t4-9.jpg

Make sure you check "Normal" for Run BSP, Run VIS, and Run RAD. And check the option "Don't run the game after compiling". Leave the additional parameters blank, and press Enter.

For this small map, it should take just a few seconds for the map to compile. You can see the compiler generating a long list of messages during the process. Just ignore them for now.

When the compiler is finished, the last few lines from the compiler message should read:

Total triangle count: 32
Writing c:\games\hl2\steamapps\<your steam id>\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\firstmap.bsp
1 second elapsed

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "C:\Games\HL2\SteamApps\<your steam id>\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\mapsrc\firstmap.bsp" "c:\games\hl2\steamapps\<your steam id>\counter-strike source\cstrike\maps\firstmap.bsp"

And there should be an elongated button at the bottom of the message box that reads "Copy to Clipboard". You don't need to click the button.

7. Loading Your Map in the Game

It's the moment we've been waiting for, and there's no description for the pure w00tness that you'll experience when you run around in your own virtual world for the first time. It's something you'll never forget...like your first kiss.

Anyways, quit Hammer first. That's right, close the sucker. I don't care whether you have a monster computer with fourteen processors all linked together, Hammer uses a lot of resources, and Counter-Strike:Source isn't very stable when both Hammer and the engine are loaded at the same time. Running them both is a good way to crash your computer.

Fire up CS:S, and after you bring up the console, type map firstmap and Enter. Wait for a few tantalizing seconds, and watch your creation spawn. If you encounter an error message when attempting to load the map, read this FAQ.

Did you hear the angels sing? Congratulations, you made your first map! I know it's not an incredible looking map, but we all got to start somewhere.

Have fun feeling claustrophobic and shooting at the brick walls around you.

t4-10.jpg

By the way, your screenshots are located in the directory:

SteamApps\<your steam id>\counter-strike source\cstrike\screenshots.

Source www.cstrike-planet.com

I Find this kinda usefull , dunno if you can post sthing similar to this for CS

I Loved it , and the result is better than fine!

I Find this kinda usefull , dunno if you can post sthing similar to this for CS

I Loved it , and the result is better than fine!

There are guides for cs already.

Nice one.

Tiranous. U must configure the programm to work. This is from superjer.com

1)  Click the Game Configurations tab

2)  Click the Edit button

3)  Click the Add button in the dialog that pops up

4)  Type "cstrike" in the textbox

5)  Click the OK button

6)  Click Close

7)  Now click the Add button on the big Configure window

8 )  Add the file called "halflife-cs.fgd"

9)  Click the Textures tab

10)  Click the Add WAD button

11)  Add the file called "halflife.wad"

12)  All done -- click OK to close the big Configure window

You can get back to the Configure window by selecting Tools->Options from the menu bar. You should go there and look around once you are familiar with map design.

If you completed everything on this page, you're now ready to start building!

Now if you do this correctly when u press to create a new one no problems will occur.  

BTW if anyone ever needs help about mapping plz tell me and i will make the simplest guide about the subject. :)

Hope i helped.

where i am going to find this file -->''halflife-cs.fgd''??  i searched and i didn't find it

and halflife.wad ,too

Superjer.com again

About the halflife-cs.fgd

Need to find halflife-cs.fgd?

It is in a sub-folder of the folder where Hammer is installed. It should be something like this:

C:\Program Files\Valve Hammer Editor\fgd\Counter-Strike\

Unless you told it to install somewhere else.

If you still dont find it download this

http://www.superjer.com/files/cs-fgd-xp_8u.zip

Unzip everything to your Hammer/fgd/counter-strike folder. Then tell Hammer to use the new FGD (Tools->Options->Game Configurations->Game Data Files box).

Now about the halflife.wad

WAD files can be found in your valve and cstrike folders which should be something like one of these:

C:\Games\Half-Life\valve\

C:\Games\Half-Life\cstrike\

But it depends on where you installed it.

Also if you still cant find it just download it here and use it

http://www.superjer.com/lies/wads.zip

Well thats it. I hope you find what you need. :)

well i didn't made it i think that someone must make a greek guide (no c/p and no just translate this) and it will achive karma ... ... ...

beter explanation :

plz someone make a good greek guide and if it realy good and no c/p and no just translate he maybe take +1 karma ...

• 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• *¶¶¶+2349158681268¶¶¶ Welcome to the home of wealth and fame.*        Many have seek for wealth and it’s quiet a thing of pity +2349158681268 that some do so in wrong places which made it doubtful of the true source and it is at this juncture that i approach you with the right source of wealth which you have really seek for. ZERUZANDAH BROTHERHOOD OCCULT is an association of those that has been blessed by Lord Lucifer zeruzandah the great and have decided to educate the masses on the possible ways of acquiring the wealth, power,protection fame and every other thing you could think of without human sacrifice. Gone are the days when human blood are required for sacrifice here at zeruzandah Brotherhood, human blood sacrifice has been abolished because the money you are seeking for should be used to help and sponsor your loved ones but you have to have it at the back of your mind that there is a very great sacrifice which you must pay to pierce the heart of the spiritual world so that you can be blessed here on human Earth and that sacrifice will be according to what zeruzandah wants you to do which the Grandmaster of this temple will tell you when you’ve been in contact with him. Here at zeruzandah Brotherhood we only demand some sacrificial items and some special animal blood for sacrifice in order to please the Lord Lucifer to bless you here on Earth. If anyone from anywhere tells you that we accept anything money from you in order for you to be initiated into this Brotherhood, inform the TEMPLE GRANDMASTER +2349158681268 zeruzandah Brotherhood do not accept any money from you except you are the one to fund your sacrificial items. Contact the temple Grandmaster at +2349158681268   Spiritual grandmaster of ZERUZANDAH BROTHERHOOD +2349158681268   I WANT TO JOIN SECRET OCCULT FOR MONEY RITUALS IN NIGERIA OR GHANA TO BE RICH AND TO MAKE MONEY, WITH NO HUMAN SACRIFICE OR BLOODSHED CALL +2349158681268 FOR YOUR BUSINESS SUCCESS TO WIN ELECTIONS TO BE FAMOUS AND POWERFUL,   The ZERUZANDAH Brotherhood is a spiritual fraternal society whose aims are the cultivation of Inner Power through the study and practice of esoteric arts for the improvement of body, mind and spirit.   It unites its members in brotherhood and in the quest for wisdom, successful living and finding one’s purpose in life. It has no secret agenda .While it is a deeply spiritual organization, it promote a particular religion or belief.   The Brotherhood transmits an esoteric tradition spanning thousands of years, with a universal vision born in the East and embracing the best of the West in the quest to return to the ancient and original Tao or Source of all wisdom.   WELCOME TO ZERUZANDAH BROTHERHOOD,   The Club of the Rich and Famous; is the world oldest and largest fraternity made up of 3 Millions Members. We are one Family under one father who is the Supreme Being. In ZERUZANDAH OCCULT Brotherhood we believe that we were born in paradise and no member should struggle in this world. Hence all our new members are given Money, Wealth,Fame , Power ETC.   Fear and anxiety has drawn so many people back to unfulfilled dreams and make their quest for wealth and power shambled, it is thing of fact that money ritual Occult is not and can never be a sin because Occult is still a religion despite what ever others are thinking and zeruzandah Brotherhood is here to give life to that dead hope of acquiring your desired wealth,fame and power without human sacrifice. Contact the Spiritual Grandmaster of ZERUZANDAH Brotherhood now at +2349158681268   The wealth of this life goes to those who deserve and desire it by their decision of breaking the wicked chain of poverty. It is actually a thing of fact that poverty is real and it’s not your fault that it exists but however will be your fault and greatest mistake if you allow poverty to exist in your life because of fear. Only the brave makes the move to liberate himself from humiliating nature of poverty…   +2349158681268   You can be rich, wealthy, famous etc without human blood@ZERUZANDAH BROTHERHOOD contact the Spiritual Grandmaster now +2349158681268   The desire to remove the garment of poverty rest on your shoulder and I will advise you do so now by being an initiated member of zeruzandah Brotherhood.   For enquires, contact the Spiritual Grandmaster now@ +2349158681268   The men of the world can only see within the limit of the eye and the things of the spirit are meant for the spirit to see. You can never be that wealthy,rich and famous without controlling the Spiritual wealth and fame that Lucifer the Great Spiritual father offers to those who are humble to him. You have been admiring the wealthy people around you and wish to be so wealthy or more than they do but you are yet to discover the Secret of WEALTH. There so many things known by the rich and the wealthy which the poor don’t know and don’t want to know because of their unnecessary fear. The secret to what you seek is to join a secret occult society.   Call now for enquiries +2349158681268.
    • *¶¶¶+2349158681268¶¶¶ Welcome to the home of wealth and fame.*        Many have seek for wealth and it’s quiet a thing of pity +2349158681268 that some do so in wrong places which made it doubtful of the true source and it is at this juncture that i approach you with the right source of wealth which you have really seek for. ZERUZANDAH BROTHERHOOD OCCULT is an association of those that has been blessed by Lord Lucifer zeruzandah the great and have decided to educate the masses on the possible ways of acquiring the wealth, power,protection fame and every other thing you could think of without human sacrifice. Gone are the days when human blood are required for sacrifice here at zeruzandah Brotherhood, human blood sacrifice has been abolished because the money you are seeking for should be used to help and sponsor your loved ones but you have to have it at the back of your mind that there is a very great sacrifice which you must pay to pierce the heart of the spiritual world so that you can be blessed here on human Earth and that sacrifice will be according to what zeruzandah wants you to do which the Grandmaster of this temple will tell you when you’ve been in contact with him. Here at zeruzandah Brotherhood we only demand some sacrificial items and some special animal blood for sacrifice in order to please the Lord Lucifer to bless you here on Earth. If anyone from anywhere tells you that we accept anything money from you in order for you to be initiated into this Brotherhood, inform the TEMPLE GRANDMASTER +2349158681268 zeruzandah Brotherhood do not accept any money from you except you are the one to fund your sacrificial items. Contact the temple Grandmaster at +2349158681268   Spiritual grandmaster of ZERUZANDAH BROTHERHOOD +2349158681268   I WANT TO JOIN SECRET OCCULT FOR MONEY RITUALS IN NIGERIA OR GHANA TO BE RICH AND TO MAKE MONEY, WITH NO HUMAN SACRIFICE OR BLOODSHED CALL +2349158681268 FOR YOUR BUSINESS SUCCESS TO WIN ELECTIONS TO BE FAMOUS AND POWERFUL,   The ZERUZANDAH Brotherhood is a spiritual fraternal society whose aims are the cultivation of Inner Power through the study and practice of esoteric arts for the improvement of body, mind and spirit.   It unites its members in brotherhood and in the quest for wisdom, successful living and finding one’s purpose in life. It has no secret agenda .While it is a deeply spiritual organization, it promote a particular religion or belief.   The Brotherhood transmits an esoteric tradition spanning thousands of years, with a universal vision born in the East and embracing the best of the West in the quest to return to the ancient and original Tao or Source of all wisdom.   WELCOME TO ZERUZANDAH BROTHERHOOD,   The Club of the Rich and Famous; is the world oldest and largest fraternity made up of 3 Millions Members. We are one Family under one father who is the Supreme Being. In ZERUZANDAH OCCULT Brotherhood we believe that we were born in paradise and no member should struggle in this world. Hence all our new members are given Money, Wealth,Fame , Power ETC.   Fear and anxiety has drawn so many people back to unfulfilled dreams and make their quest for wealth and power shambled, it is thing of fact that money ritual Occult is not and can never be a sin because Occult is still a religion despite what ever others are thinking and zeruzandah Brotherhood is here to give life to that dead hope of acquiring your desired wealth,fame and power without human sacrifice. Contact the Spiritual Grandmaster of ZERUZANDAH Brotherhood now at +2349158681268   The wealth of this life goes to those who deserve and desire it by their decision of breaking the wicked chain of poverty. It is actually a thing of fact that poverty is real and it’s not your fault that it exists but however will be your fault and greatest mistake if you allow poverty to exist in your life because of fear. Only the brave makes the move to liberate himself from humiliating nature of poverty…   +2349158681268   You can be rich, wealthy, famous etc without human blood@ZERUZANDAH BROTHERHOOD contact the Spiritual Grandmaster now +2349158681268   The desire to remove the garment of poverty rest on your shoulder and I will advise you do so now by being an initiated member of zeruzandah Brotherhood.   For enquires, contact the Spiritual Grandmaster now@ +2349158681268   The men of the world can only see within the limit of the eye and the things of the spirit are meant for the spirit to see. You can never be that wealthy,rich and famous without controlling the Spiritual wealth and fame that Lucifer the Great Spiritual father offers to those who are humble to him. You have been admiring the wealthy people around you and wish to be so wealthy or more than they do but you are yet to discover the Secret of WEALTH. There so many things known by the rich and the wealthy which the poor don’t know and don’t want to know because of their unnecessary fear. The secret to what you seek is to join a secret occult society.   Call now for enquiries +2349158681268.
  • Topics