[CSS][Tut] Configuring the kb_act file

DreaM

I don't know if this is the right section for it :X.

First, the kb_act is located in the cstrike\gfx\shell directory. Make a copy of the original file and save it to another directory. That way if you make an uncorrectable error, you always can go back and use the original file.

Background of the file

This file is the source for the Half-Life Counter-Strike Controls Menu. This is where you choose your keys within the Game. When you change your keys in this menu you actually are modifying the config.cfg file, which is where all your binds are located.

File Contents

Let's take a look at the contents of the file. Open the file with a Word Editor such as Notepad, Wordpad, or Editpad.

The file is broken down into two columns. The left column contains the alias commands within quotes. These are the general pre-made command aliases or your own user-made aliases. The right column contains a short description of what the adjacent aliases in the left column are. For example, the line with "+jump" in the left column is described as "Jump" in the right column. When making your own descriptions, try not to make them too long where they would extend to the next line. For a reference, I try to use a max of 28 characters or spaces. Below is a small portion of what the kb_act looks like.

kbact.jpg

Kb_Act Extract

Step #1 - Add Aliases to file

Identify and add alias commands that you want to bind within the Controls Menu. The aliases must be in an autoexec file or other executed cfg file or they will not work. Place the complete alias within quotes! Use this for an example:"killme"

Step #2 - Add Descriptions for the aliases

Now you can add the descriptive information for your aliases in the right column. Remember to place the whole description within quotes with no more than 28 characters or spaces. Like this: "This Kills Me!"

Step #3 - Add Special Lines and Blanks

Ok, now you can add blank spaces within your file for general descriptive purposes. To add a blank space line within the file, use this in the left column:"blank"This tells the game there is no command being executed for this line. Now you can also add more lines to your script to break it into sections. Such as this:

"blank"                                "**************************"

"blank"                                "Standard CS Commands"

"blank"                                "**************************"

I use the blanks in the left column so nothing is executed, and I give a general description in the left column with asterisks to make the separation.

Step #4 - Saving and changing the file

You also can take out unwanted commands from this file. If you do this you would have to manually bind them within the config.cfg file.

You're done, save the file, ensure all the cfg files are being executed and go bind your keys within the Game's Controls Menu.

SouRcE: counter-script