Server Host

Hello and Happy New Year to everyone! 
Me and my friend finally finished our website and server after 1 month of work. But there is one big problem which we didnt thought about. Our servers Host...

1. Soooo first of all we need a dedicated server right?

2. What should we be looking for? like what upload speed would suit us, what specs of the hosts Pc?

3. Is there really no way to host the server from our house? we live in greece so keep in mind that we dont have the best internet upload speed.

4. Can anyone suggest a good , reliable and fair (in money) Hosting Company? Because we saw some prices like 200 Euro and tbh we dont want to give all that money.

Thanks for your time guys!

First things first, dedicated server is an machine with server-grade hardware and software, up 24/7 (if prefered) and (in some cases) protected from malicious attacks.

You can run server at home machine especially if you are not planning to have lots of online players, requirements would be an decent PC plus good internet line with external, static IP address. If your ISP is giving you dynamic IP, there are no chances to run decent server (unless you are willing to change l2.ini after every IP change). Also any actions done with that PC (e.g. browsing in Chrome) may reflect in gameserver as an lag.

If your ISP does not provide you with good internet link, it's not even worth to try launching srv from home.

For test server I'd recommend Contabo and for live server OVH should be fine and not super-expensive solution.

If you want full protection - choose Hyperfilter hosting services (they are expensive) or buy dedicated server machine and co-locate in on nearest data center.

TL;DR: running server at home PC especially with bad internet link is not an good idea. Price means value (in most cases).

So with our internet upload speed (5MBps) you think that we could manage to start the project or should we just stop our work here and go play pacman?
P.S. : yes i know its embarassing to have this kinds of internet speed in 2k18 :P

3 hours ago, L2Nemesis said:

So with our internet upload speed (5MBps) you think that we could manage to start the project or should we just stop our work here and go play pacman?
P.S. : yes i know its embarassing to have this kinds of internet speed in 2k18 :P

Are you using DSL? :)

Judging by your speed, you are getting ~600 KB/s up-link which would be eligible to run 20-30 players, also don't forget response time (ping), so I guess it's not worth trying, as better solution will be almost immediately required.

Edited by Griunvaldas

Back in C5 Days 100kbps (1mbps) could manager 50-80 players. When i had a hetzner server and upload was limited to 10mbps i didnt have any issues with 500 players. 5mbps is more than enough for 500 players.

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Back in C5 Days 100kbps (1mbps) could manager 50-80 players. When i had a hetzner server and upload was limited to 10mbps i didnt have any issues with 500 players. 5mbps is more than enough for 500 players.

so you are saying that with our upload speed we are able to host at least 100 players online?
we are not aiming for the beginning for crazy numbers like 500...we want to see if the server will draw people and if we can get some donations flowing then ofc we will send it to a host

Edited by L2Nemesis

10 minutes ago, Porthos said:

1Mbps = ~128KB/s (Mbps / 8)

Mbps != MB/s :) For instance if your internet plan provides 100Mbps, real download speed will be ~12MB/s.

So either you had 1Mb/s uplink or not 1Mbps :)

One instance of L2 (one player) consume ~24KB/s of network (AFAIK, I may be wrong here)

Edited by Griunvaldas

4 hours ago, Griunvaldas said:

1Mbps = ~128KB/s (Mbps / 8)

Mbps != MB/s :) For instance if your internet plan provides 100Mbps, real download speed will be ~12MB/s.

So either you had 1Mb/s uplink or not 1Mbps :)

One instance of L2 (one player) consume ~24KB/s of network (AFAIK, I may be wrong here)

Sorry, i forget these measurements are case sensitive.

What i meant is 1Mbps upload was enough to handle 50 to 80 players back in 2007.

Also every player might consume 24KBs but its not constant and thats why we were probably getting by with such low upload speeds.

Back to The point is that 5Mpbs upload can probably do the job but the ideal is 10Mbps+.

Also we should not forget the latency (ping). ADS/VDSL/Coaxial  and such broandband connections go through shared copper lines most of the way and its not ideal.

You can find cheap vps that will offer a better quality in network and performance compared to home hosted anyway. If anyone is intrested i can suggest such a company via pm.

My 100mbps ( well I got th 1gbps a few years ago) and 256 / 756 RAM was OP back in the days - as a player. Around 2004/2006. Heart attacks while teleporting , but never lagged.

—-

Not all the bandwidth will be reserved to the players; don’t count on that 5mbps.

Edited by Trance