• 3 weeks later...

New feature

Package installations:

• Detects when its faster to use a specific package
  • Download many files in a custom tarball compressed with gzip
  • extracts only the needed data
  • detects first time installation to download faster a single package

• 5 months later...

Working on this again, also decided to share a beta version so you can see how insanely fast this thing is.

Test Server

CPU: VPS 2vCore

SSD

Bandwidth: 100 mbps

HTTP daemon: Lighttpd

Test Client

CPU: i7 6950X

SSD 850 Pro

Bandwidth 50mbps

File Scan: < 20ms

Full update: < 25 seconds

Beta client can be downloaded bellow, it will try to download a file patch of size ~= 120mb.

The executable is not signed and windows or chrome may warn you not to download it, but there's nothing to worry about Virus Total

The bellow client may go into non-working state any time because the instructions offsets may get updated

Download Link

The message Initializing...l means that the updater done it's work and waits for L2 client to launch but this feature is not yet implemented, just hit the Cancel button

Edited by xxdem

PS: ALL the files on this updater are automatically considered as "Critical updates" this updater in other words will force "Full Check" everytime its run. A "Full Check" scenario on an old-obsolete updater is about 5-8 minutes on an average patch size, this updater is able to use 100% of the available hardware resources and give's the ability to read/scan the same patch within 50-100 MS

Edited by xxdem

Update

After lots of work, succeeded onto making stream decompression n-memory while downloading. This feature is totally unique among all updaters and I will explain why.

Technical explanation of how it works

Old mainstream method

Download all bytes and append/write intto xxx.zip on the hard disk

Buffered reading of xxx.zip and decompressing in memory again

Stream de-compression of in-memory bytes back to the harddisk and appending into un-compressed file xxx.u

A total of 3 steps involving heavy IO operations

In memory (new method)

Download next available data chunk -> decompress in-memory -> append to xxx.u

A total of 1 step reducing IO about 66% in comparison with the old method. It won't bottleneck your download speed since it operates in different worker thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Threading has nothing to do with bottlenecking the connection.

This connection bottleneck is caused because the download function is trying to use as much bandwidth as possible so it can be downloaded as fast as possible.

Isn't that correct?

In theory, if u put additional workload on the very same thread that downloads through a socket, you add latency on the connection eventually decreasing network efficiency

Isn't there a better way to throttle the bandwidth of the download tho?

There is no throttle involved during a normal download, the old version or even the standard updater we are all used to will download the file with the highest efficiency possible. But will then require to decompress the compressed file into a new file on the disk with it's own new size, this means delete the downloaded compressed file and decompress it into a new file, which I believe adds unnecessary IO.

My method is more simple, it will decompress the bytes as soon as they are downloaded from the socket while downloading, this method will introduce input lag on the download thread and will throttle the network down, so this was solved with a second worker thread that received job from the download thread, decompressing the bytes in a streamed writer who is also responsible of writing the decompressed bytes to the hardisk through another buffered writer

Edited by xxdem

yes its a virus, I want to scam your endless money

endgame antivirus

really you are so idiot ?

i said only you scan need update nothing more ...

i'm sure you don't have the Knowledge to create anything like this ...

Edited by pirama