H5/freya Something To Do

Hi nerds,

It has been a long time since I didn't even care about L2, but now I have some time, I'm bored and I also have will of do some java shits.

I'm slowly building a H5 pack based on some friend's ideas... more likely for fun, but who knows.

I'm mainly looking for people that could give me ideas to code about, but I'm not closed to anything someone could propose to me.

I could also maybe do some codes straight away and share it with you, if there is people asking for it.

You can answer this topic or PM me, although I can't ensure you that I'll answer to everybody. You can PM Sweets for that :)

I'm not interested on:

1. Adapting codes

2. Making shits as retail

3. Explaining people how to add codes

4. Discussing

Best Regards,

If i would like to make something not usefull, but fun to do, learn a lot but not really need this knowledge, i would find some cool new online game and start writing server for it. I wouldn't care about retail features, just writing everything from scratch and focusing on what i want to focus.

Even what i would like a lot more, is to write Client and try to connect to existing game. I wouldn't have a clue where to start though, i would have to learn a lot before having anything done.

Thats a next level idea :)

I'm not aware of any cool new game that could be worth to do it for though... Every time I try a new game I get so disappointed, I feel like I can't compare any game with L2... but if you do... :D

As long as you like interface, graphics, mechanics of the game(like movements by mouse or keyboard), you can finish the things you like in the game and improve/completely change things you don't like. Same thing we do with L2 now, sticking on old & better chronicles and adding different sort of things to make it better.

If you want to make something cool in L2, make perma death. I think tryskell talked about it someday. Cool idea.

I've started a poke mmo to spend my free time, c++ server, java swing client.

Theres an immature, incoplete, map creator I coded today for it:

http://www12.zippyshare.com/v/sHZ22Uw9/file.html

If you want to stick to L2 :

- a pokemon / monster hunter system like xdem suggests.

- a gameplay with trade / pirates / mercenary, each of them needs each other (pirate steals, trade craft and make money, mercenaries are recruited). Similar to faction system / Archeage.

- a hardcore server, you die you lose your stuff. Meaning the stuff has to drop like a diablo game (minimum craft involved).

- permadeath, meaning you have to rework pvp to avoid to be oneshoted. Warehouse can act as a central HUB for your inventories (aka the player is deleted the warehouse isn't). Stuff drops on ground.

- I liked the idea of ArchLord, where one player was rulling the server as the ArchLord (read about it eventually).

- rift system, invasions occurs on the kingdom and you have to defend towns and villages. If you lose a town, then you don't have access to NPCs of that zone anymore, and the general economy is crippled (for example, some particular mats aren't found anymore).

- as H5 got a specific transformation system for players, maybe a gameplay based on it.

In fact nowadays, I'm also dissapointed by actual games. There is no idea to re-use. My current and latest test is Skyforge, which is a mix between FireFall (for both graphics and way to change class on the fly), PoE for the paths, and many generic MMOs.

And tbh there is no actual games I search / would code an emulator for. If you give me H1Z1 SDK maybe I will finish the game lol :). So much games those days got pointless gameplay.

Edited by Tryskell

I've started a poke mmo to spend my free time, c++ server, java swing client.

Theres an immature, incoplete, map creator I coded today for it:

http://www12.zippyshare.com/v/sHZ22Uw9/file.html

I think I would prefer to stick with L2 for the amount of free time I have right now. Even though your map creator seems so immature  :happyforever:

If you want to stick to L2 :

- a pokemon / monster hunter system like xdem suggests.

- a gameplay with trade / pirates / mercenary, each of them needs each other (pirate steals, trade craft and make money, mercenaries are recruited). Similar to faction system / Archeage.

- a hardcore server, you die you lose your stuff. Meaning the stuff has to drop like a diablo game (minimum craft involved).

- permadeath, meaning you have to rework pvp to avoid to be oneshoted. Warehouse can act as a central HUB for your inventories (aka the player is deleted the warehouse isn't). Stuff drops on ground.

- I liked the idea of ArchLord, where one player was rulling the server as the ArchLord (read about it eventually).

- rift system, invasions occurs on the kingdom and you have to defend towns and villages. If you lose a town, then you don't have access to NPCs of that zone anymore, and the general economy is crippled (for example, some particular mats aren't found anymore).

- as H5 got a specific transformation system for players, maybe a gameplay based on it.

In fact nowadays, I'm also dissapointed by actual games. There is no idea to re-use. My current and latest test is Skyforge, which is a mix between FireFall (for both graphics and way to change class on the fly), PoE for the paths, and many generic MMOs.

And tbh there is no actual games I search / would code an emulator for. If you give me H1Z1 SDK maybe I will finish the game lol :). So much games those days got pointless gameplay.

Thanks, I like some of those ideas too  :D

Do you have any example of a good permadeath game? I see the point but I would need a bit more of context to understand the whole idea behind, to evaluate it.

Edited by ^Wyatt

I think I would prefer to stick with L2 for the amount of free time I have right now. Even though your map creator seems so immature  :happyforever:

Thanks, I like some of those ideas too  :D

Do you have any example of a good permadeath game? I see the point but I would need a bit more of context to understand the whole idea behind, to evaluate it.

Its a fast 1 and a half hours of work of course it needs more effort in it.

At the end it will generate .map files that will be loaded from both the java client and c++ server

The good thing when you have client source is that, you can do anything. Unlike L2.

Generally speaking, even if a permadeath H1Z1 l2 server wouldn't be bad, the limitations that come from the client are unbearable for me to work on... Afterall why should I stick into the L2 mod stereotype? Its a shitty client, I could even code a better l2 game engine in java using the same utxs if had a year to waste from my life

Edited by xxdem

Its a fast 1 and a half hours of work of course it needs more effort in it.

At the end it will generate .map files that will be loaded from both the java client and c++ server

The good thing when you have client source is that, you can do anything. Unlike L2.

Generally speaking, even if a permadeath H1Z1 l2 server wouldn't be bad, the limitations that come from the client are unbearable for me to work on... Afterall why should I stick into the L2 mod stereotype? Its a shitty client, I could even code a better l2 game engine in java using the same utxs if had a year to waste from my life

I didn't mean that what you did is bad, I was just trolling a bit.

About the other point... it's your PoV. I agree, but I like it, so it's not a problem for me to stick to L2.

I didn't mean that what you did is bad, I was just trolling a bit.

About the other point... it's your PoV. I agree, but I like it, so it's not a problem for me to stick to L2.

I didn't said if its bad or good, Im talking about the limitations of working on L2 on free time. You don't learn new things so its a waste of time. IMHO

PS: Once again Im talking generally not personally.

Edited by xxdem

I liked InfiniteL2 Faction server. It had it's charm. Wasn't thematically biased like GvE with only few races being able to join a particular side.

Problem was, and always is in a lot of other server, economy. I say it a lot, not to sound like a smartass, but generally because trading is the second most common PvP interaction after combat. Having a shit economy just ensures the server dies quickly since trading/economy is the primary medium through which wealth redistribution is manifested.

But Im glad to know there are people who don't want to shove retail bullshit down the players throats.

I'd suggest stripping L2 and going back to basics. Fewer skills, less stuff to grind for, etc. Permadeath server sound cool, but you'd have to estimate how many players it would attract, and measure that against how much interaction you expect between each of them. Then think about how you cut down on the areas they can visit. I don't think it would work well - the first primal intuition in L2 is too kill someone, something. Unless you cannot distinguish NPCs from players, there will be a huge bias between the priority of the two for a potential aggressor. 

I think the primary issue is that there doesn't seem anything to do in L2. With all the carebearness brought by the kiddos from everywhere like russia, brazil and greece who finally figured out the L2 private servers exist, the gameplay has been largely stripped of many opportunities. The game has been reduced to sport where "everything is supposed to be fair". Evidenced by the huge hard-on for olympiad (cos 1v1 is balanced ja ja a ja ajj, right?) and the buckets of tears for cancels, steals, loot stealing, full drop gear, etc.

Also all the remaining L2 community is making dying in a video game sound like some muslim haram, lol. "OMG OVERPOWERED CLASS PLZS GM BALANCE SERBER". Just one more of the issues - people are so used to complaining, that it has become a political tool. If players don't get what they want (which obviously conflicts with what OTHER players want), they just boycott the server, and leave for servers where they DO get what they want.

Edited by Epiquin

There isn't a lot of games with permadeath : Wizardry online, DayZ/H1Z1/Project Zomboid/Don't Starve/survivor-game alike, diablo-like hardcore mode.

About Pokemon MMO, you got PokeMMO. I don't see the use to make another Pokemon MMO. Plus you can't exploit the licence you're almost sure to be shutdowned.

I played on InfiniteL2, it was a funny server, but nothing special about gameplay (just cyclic event engine and balanced classes, playing a dwarf was rewarding for one time).

I played on InfiniteL2, it was a funny server, but nothing special about gameplay (just cyclic event engine and balanced classes, playing a dwarf was rewarding for one time).

I agree, but what's "special" anyway?

At it's core, or principle, what feature in the late private server L2 innovation was special? If it's server functionality (such as a new pack, new way to handle things,etc), players wouldn't care, because it's in the background. If it's just a feature that nobody ever saw anywhere, that doesn't strictly make it better or even desirable. It just offers the owner a monopoly over the feature, whose value is debatable, since if it's not copied then it's likely not popular anyway.

Rebirth was done millions of times, and isn't that great of a mechanic. Custom gear is receiving tons of bad light. High-rate server die for obvious reason. This game is too old to try and capitalise on low-rate servers due to the singularity point, where there is one group ahead of everyone else and competing against becomes an unwinnable bet.

InfiniteL2 had dodgeball xD which is about the most innovative use of packets and ingame mechanics to make a pretty fun event. 

Pandora-Project was another faction L2 server, that tried to do loads of special stuff. They were functionally challenging, and they had demand, but the server never went out of beta. 

A modern emerging threat to games is the growing awareness that there isn't really much to play for. In MMOs we desire drama and conflict that stems out of our human principles, but then when things get tough, people start crying about how the game is unfair and biased towards a particular side of the conflict, etc. Players are rarely open-minded, so the gameplay feedback loop returns that the game should be dumbed down and then you end up with nothing to do.