Warden And 'the Governor'

Sawadee

Right, I decided to write this thread because people insist on linking the stupid tool known as 'The Governor' years after it became totally obsolete.

Facts:

1. Warden does not scan outside WoW.exe, it does not look at any windows, processes, etc outside the game's address space.

Nitpicker's Corner: Yes it does some very specific and very limited scans to see if certain drivers etc are loaded into the system. But that is the only real exception.

Warden - WoW.Dev Wiki

2. Yes warden used to scan outside of the game's address space, but it NEVER sent back any identifiable information. EVER. EVER EVER EVER. Contrary to what Hoglund would have you believe, there was zero privacy violations occuring even when Warden was scanning windows. But alas, he misrepresented the facts, the WoW sites all jumped on it based on the misinformation, everyone assumed the sky was falling and blizzard was looking at their furry pr0n, and shortly after that the functionality got pulled (for no good reason except that an idiot -- read: Hoglund -- seemed to decide page views were more important than the truth).

On Warden: Privacy and you

On Warden: Why are people still referencing Hoglund?

Myths:

1. Warden scans your harddrive!

2. Warden reads your IM conversations!

3. Warden reads your browser history!

4. Warden scans/reads your !

Credits:

Lax, Kynox, Merc, Greyman, Bobbysing, Boogieman, Harko.

'The Governor' (before following this link, repeat after me.. "I understand that this application is currently 100% useless and is a piece of shit. I promise not to post about it anywhere except in this thread"):

rootkit.com

Now. Can people PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop linking that app? Thank you.