L2J Servers legal or illegal?

Hello. I am trying to understand if L2J Servers are legal or illegal. Some people say its legal, some not. Some other say it used to be illegal, but now its not. Could someone give me an answer? Also I would like to ask if adding donations makes it illegal. Thanks.

Making changes to client is against EULA.

PLAYING on an emulated server is against EULA.

Running an emulator - tough to decide. NCSoft has no ownership over the java source in any way. Considering the source can be adapted to ANY (or most) games it can't be considered part of the product either. It's just software anyone can use and as far as "technicality" is concerned - not connected to L2.

It's like if you use an app to adapt desktop GPU drivers for laptops cos big companies like HP decided to not have support from ATi/NVidia for laptops. They can't do anything to you for using an APP. Same way no one can do anything if you use a torrent client. Pirating and using a torrent client are 2 different things.

However - L2Extreme was closed cos it hindered NCSofts business I believe. I think there was a lawsuit. I don't think they guy got jailed. Prolly just took away all his database/source code. That's enough to take a large server down. But that's an extreme case. It had loads of people, made loads of revenue, and in turn took player away from retail servers.

I don't know the law. But nobody is gonna budge you for your 50-200 player server.

Now, the host could do something.

InfiniteL2's kain database and source was confiscated by the host once they found out that an L2 server was hosted on their machines.

DjSt3rios" post="2341082" timestamp="1349543763"]

Hello. I am trying to understand if L2J Servers are legal or illegal. Some people say its legal, some not. Some other say it used to be illegal, but now its not. Could someone give me an answer? Also I would like to ask if adding donations makes it illegal. Thanks.

dude keep only 20% from what ppl saying.

and keep how much money you want from donates xD

Making changes to client is against EULA.

PLAYING on an emulated server is against EULA.

Running an emulator - tough to decide. NCSoft has no ownership over the java source in any way. Considering the source can be adapted to ANY (or most) games it can't be considered part of the product either. It's just software anyone can use and as far as "technicality" is concerned - not connected to L2.

It's like if you use an app to adapt desktop GPU drivers for laptops cos big companies like HP decided to not have support from ATi/NVidia for laptops. They can't do anything to you for using an APP. Same way no one can do anything if you use a torrent client. Pirating and using a torrent client are 2 different things.

However - L2Extreme was closed cos it hindered NCSofts business I believe. I think there was a lawsuit. I don't think they guy got jailed. Prolly just took away all his database/source code. That's enough to take a large server down. But that's an extreme case. It had loads of people, made loads of revenue, and in turn took player away from retail servers.

I don't know the law. But nobody is gonna budge you for your 50-200 player server.

Now, the host could do something.

InfiniteL2's kain database and source was confiscated by the host once they found out that an L2 server was hosted on their machines.

This is kinda true. I believe playing in a private server is illegal, but hosting a private l2j server, it might not be illegal... I am not sure, but I just dont like getting illegal money, not that i am gonna get caught, i just don't like it, I won't feel good to know that i have illegal money, that kinda sucks.

DjSt3rios" post="2341262" timestamp="1349559191"]

This is kinda true. I believe playing in a private server is illegal, but hosting a private l2j server, it might not be illegal... I am not sure, but I just dont like getting illegal money, not that i am gonna get caught, i just don't like it, I won't feel good to know that i have illegal money, that kinda sucks.

Illegal money?

For selling pixels?

Or "donations"?

I think if you are only concerned with EARNING any money at all, illegal or not, you'll be disappointed because you won't earn enough to worry yourseld, or worry anyone else about it.

You can't exactly be caught with illegal money when people willfully transfer them to you. That's like stealing your Christmas present. Either Santa OR your parents want you to have it anyway...

donations arent illegal, having l2jserver isnt illegal(l2off is), having changed client(even l2.ini file) is illegal, so if player plays on your server it means he is doing it illegally(coz he have changed client). I am just not sure about having link for changed system folder inside your website.

Since you pay taxes and have the needed licence from nc is legal.

Do it.

yeah, the nc license can cost a lot to get it... but I think that as vampir said, having the server is not really illegal, thats what I Believe too.

Do you know anyone who actually got a license from nc?