[Question] Which is more insecure? L2OFF or L2J?

The problem of the L2J is the java, you use a virtual machine and you don't hit directly the processor native instruction like when you compile in C++.It mean more ressources.

For 1000 Players online without any lagg you would need that :

-Quad core xeon 3220 or any quad core CPU , maybe dual core might be enough , I only tested with quad.

-8GB of DDR or more.

-SAS 15k rpm hard drive

-100mb/s bandwith

And anyway , 1000 player is hard to hit exept if you plane to make a low rate , but against L2P that will open lol ...

If you have no experiences in the Lineage 2 Server , I recommand you to make a L2J and since the  topic was about the security , L2J is under GNU license so it's more legal than L2OFF ^.^

just buy a server box and make l2off server because there is only few l2j servers with 300+ people because of bugs glitches exploits, no stabilty, l2j has more features but trust me there is no way to get like 1000 people on l2j server because it's java. java is good for low populated servers. Srsly if you will have decent machine just try l2off.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well as i see some  of you speak without know.L2j servers can hadle  800-100 ppl with a stable pack good pc and stable java and mysql versions

I mean even if you have 8gb ram o 16 is the same because l2j is not use some much......

Also for mysql use 5.1 not 6...

Intel quad core required for high amount of players

2-3x hard dics 15k rpm or at least 10k

and 10 mbit or 100 mbit internet connection.Even if you have 10 or 100 is the same but must be premium......

Also you must config some mysql settings....

And finaly you can make many changes in the cpre to hadle more than 1k ppl

well correct me if im wrong but l2off is more stable and bugless than l2java.i think that the whole difference.about the population its up to hardware to decrease lag and about the posibilities as for custom and these stuff,are the same...of course in l2off you need to know what you are doing whereas in l2java you can modify and place custom things that you have jst borrowed by others.

There is one aspect I would take into consideration.

It all depends on what you want to do with the server. If you are planing to have something small like a local area network, just quickly eclipse/batch the latest SVN + mysql + whatever else is needed and you are all set for a for a L2 Single player mode :).

If you are thinking of something bigger in the idea of making a profit, L2OFF is defentelty an issue. Why ? the bigger the server gets the more noticeable and exposed you become. Running the L2off code on a private machine is definetly illegal.

Until a better option comes out, you have to stick to the L2J, constantly checking their official devs forum and at least one test server where you can first check the so called "patches"m latest releases and stuff, there`s a high chance a later release is worse than the previous one, same with the bugs. Eventually might cause a big lose on a community level. 

It requires a lot of  knowledge if you wanna go hardcore in the Java engine, some PHP querring for the DP, HTML for the traders and python for the quest, also XML for the mammon. You will realize at some point that many things are bugged, not working or needs mods to work as it should. The knowledge in the background would HELP a lot.

Machine: You will need a pretty strong one. Yes is a good a idea get a cheap solution for a server, and if things are going well you can always update ram cpu hdd. Just make sure before renting a dedicated, the upgrade option is available and check the prices. Many times, to get a base server is cheap, but upgrading it will cost a fortune. Funny marketing trick.

IF you are planning to run a L2J, take like one or 2 months to familiarize with the whole system if you are new to this, compile the pack on a test machine invite a few friends and see how it woks. If all good, you have the time and the money, after that you can go about purchasing a dedicated srvr and go live.

Hope this is pretty useful insight about L2Jing.

Best regards,

Bogdan.

PS: I speak out of my own experience as a L2J Private server dev so you don`t have to take it for granted.

Yes l2off is more stable than l2j but not exactly 100% correct.I mean the stability depends on many things.A developer pr experience user can work on l2j source and after some time succeed to make it stable and run smoothy...But however l2j is build with a method that in my opinion is not correct.I mean all we know c++ is better so why they make it in java?However is not java fault but developers.They want only features and not stability.The same for a users.I will give an example.If l2jfree now say we stop develop and we start to make our source stable and correct things to make it better and this will take from 6 month to 1 year.Well almost all users will left l2jfree and go to another team

Finally i dont understand why l2j devs use xml db than lua

The reason L2J can't have 1k people is simple

People don't want to play on L2J

Have the most beastly server ever run L2J, it will still feel terrible for anyone who ever played anything else than L2J.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guy´s I am also looking at the future on what to create.

Have a Interlude l2j up and running for a little over a week and like the easy customization however one player changed his name green without having admin access. He did not or could not do anything else but change the color as far as I know as in database still 0 access lvl.

This has me worried as in the future I would like a server secure from hackers and would like a big community. I think the Interlude l2j is good enough to run without a tun of bugs however I am still a noob so correct me if I am wrong.

Agree 100% a person needs to get his feet wet for a few months learning l2j html xml database customization etc... which I am doing myslef and have friends join and learn....

Is l2OFF alot more secure from hackers? Or can l2j equally be as secure from hackers?

Also to run 1000+ players on lets say a Interlude l2j I have read 10000 rpm and 15000 rpm HD and 8 gig mem.

Please read this and comment if this affects java servers... http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=322