[help]programming languages to start

KOZANE

hello can u tell me what would be a nice choice to begin?

Java , C or something else for begin?

And for example if i start learning the C language, what will i be able to do in the end?

ps: i already know the basics of java(basic syntax)

It all depends on what you try to achieve with the specific language. What kind of programs you want to develop. So, tell us your goals and we'll help you.

actually everything, except .. you know programms , anything for windows. (no web development)

it is the same thing . . .

yes but don't they have some differences ? for example you can use messageboxes in applications, so actually i mean different syntax in some things

Well, anything doesn't say much, is it? :P

I recommend the following only if you want to follow a programmer carrer ->

Anyway, you will hear a hundred of different opinions in this subject. Personally, having knowledge on both C & Java i would recommend you to start learning C. It's a procedural language, completely different from OOP that java offers. The power of C is pointers. With these you are able to do a lot of low level programming => learn many stuff about how things works down there. Also you'll learn easy about variables, methods, data types, data structures and all these stuff that are the same in all programming languages (of course i don't mean the syntax).

If you want to learn programming as a hobby then i would suggest you to try python. Easy syntax, capabilities of OOP, many libraries out there, so you can do pretty much anything you like with this language(e.g let's say built a simple 2D game).

Generally speaking, the 'big' idea is to learn first the principles of programming with a procedural language(variables, data types, data structures, flow control, loops etc) and then advance to OOP(this method of programming is used on developing professional applications)

Guest Elfocrash

yes but don't they have some differences ? for example you can use messageboxes in applications, so actually i mean different syntax in some things

programming is not only for the code.it is the GUI too so go for the Windows Forms Application

yes but for example , it's so simple to put buttons in C# just click and put it on the form. but in java you need to use Swing class and make new objects , etc. Isn't that bad?

yeah right .code it,dont drag and drop the tools..

what a failed show-off

Smartass, the way you told it seemed like code and gui is something else. So, you failed.

yes but for example , it's so simple to put buttons in C# just click and put it on the form. but in java you need to use Swing class and make new objects , etc. Isn't that bad?

It all depends on what application you want to develop. What's the point of GUI if you don't know the essential things of programming(or of a programming language). Well if you want to develop an application which includes GUI and both Java/C# can do the work for you then it's better to choose the language that make your life easier(in this case C#, because of the gui). C# is designed to develop application in windows, while java is cross platform( i suppose C# can also run on other platforms with some modding :P )