[Guide]Create a .patch file

May be usefull for some  :!:

You probably saw all those .patch files (which are usefull or even needed for reviewing stuff) but still wondering how to do it, this mini-guide may help you.

This tutorial is based on tortoisesvn, but I guess you've already installed it, so I'll skip the install part.

Once you have set up the svn path and downloaded the emu source, you probably noticed all those green & red icons near each file.

If you have already modified zillions of files, it should look like this :

step1w.jpg

Green icon : the file is the same as the one from the SVN source

Red icon : the file has been modificated (by you, admit it  :mrgreen: )

So you did some modifications, and want to post on the forums the mods you did, that's easy as hell.

Right click to the file you modificated (if you read previousely parts, the icon near it must be red ) and select "Create patch" on the svn menu :

step2h.jpg

and you should get this window :

step3g.jpg

Simply press OK and save the .patch file.

The patch file will contain ALL the modifications you did on the source file, so when you purpose a modification, make sure your edit is based on the latest rev one and doesn't contain modifications which doesn't concern what you would like to share.

If you want to make a patch from multiple files, I suggest downloading the latest source, make your modifications, then instead of right clicking to the file which has been modificated, simply right click to your source folder, and select create patch again.

You will get the list of all the files which are different from source. Select the ones you want to include inside your patch file, and you're done :

step4we.jpg

Credits: -tomate