[ Info ] Can L2J handle as many clients as L2OFF?

Question 1: Can L2J handle as many client connections as L2OFF  ?

Sure. It is elementar and well known by any real programmer that the number of connections can only be limited by the OS, hardware resources or on purpose(source code setup); never by a programming language and or programming platform.

Lineage does use the TCP/IP protocol.

Microsoft Server OS can handle a theoric number of 16,777,214 concurrent TCP/IP socket connections, however it is by default configured to handle no more than 3977 for an unique IP address, if you reach that number Windows will still handle more conenctions at the cost of poor performance but it can be configured in the OS registry to handle more by default, doing so you won't have any OS related performance issues.

Note: On latest MS OS default number has increased.

The same is valid for Linux OS, except the numbers, Linux can handle by default about 11,000 connections, however it can be configured for more.Tt will need changes in config files as well in the core kernel.

The more live connections, more hardware resources are needed.

Question 2: Can L2J handle the same number of clients as L2OFF with the same perfomance?

Sure, no restrictions, no lag, nothing. 'WTF! Noob!'.In fact L2OFF has a much better performance to hardware ratio than L2J, as well C++ to Java.It is just a matter of adapting to the necessary hardware; processor and RAM, mostly RAM.For better performance try increasing RAM before anything.There is no way to find out the optimal hardware for your server other than experimenting.

L2J being limited is a myth.

Not a myth, someone show me a L2J with more than 2k ppl on (+1k shops), but hardware was so expensive you could raise 2 L2OFF just with the price of the server lol.

So forget for the same performance :P. Same amount yeah, but not the quality.

And basically a program can limit network...

You just advance theorical things (like I do). Nothing is explained (except some wikipedia stolen infos lol, what the big deal MS server can handle 16kk connections, in your server you can do 5k max... You see, the program limits the OS.).

Not a myth, someone show me a L2J with more than 2k ppl on (+1k shops), but hardware was so expensive you could raise 2 L2OFF just with the price of the server lol.

So forget for the same performance :P. Same amount yeah, but not the quality.

And basically a program can limit network...

You just advance theorical things (like I do). Nothing is explained (except some wikipedia stolen infos lol, what the big deal MS server can handle 16kk connections, in your server you can do 5k max... You see, the program limits the OS.).

Still, you are talking about OS/PC Performance Side.

His point is that there are no programming language side restrictions.

Especially now that Java 7 comes out to pwn C++.

The point is that there is abslolutely no restrictions, much less because it is 'java' or because it is 'l2j' as it is usual to hear, by the way not even by poor programming ( not the case of some l2J forks nowadays ).Any software can handle as much clients as hardware or OS let it do.Just like L2OFF, L2J can handle any amount of clients with no lag if you have hardware for it.The performance difference is stated, yes, obviously it starts costing more if you get many clients [ L2OFF takes lots of resources even you have only 1 client ].

The performance difference is stated, yes, obviously it starts costing more if you get many clients [ L2OFF takes lots of resources even you have only 1 client ].

It was the point I was defending. With the same hardware, I don't think you can handle the same population. I agree the "100 server population" exists only with home host.

About coyote, 80% of the first post talk about OS and hardware, so what if I point on it ?

I suppose there isn't problem with Java, the only restriction in programmation is ofc the program itself. As Blackmore said it right, I'm not sure those days you can handle a lot of players of any MXC shared custom packs :P.

But still, when you see L2DC project, and they say they use 25% less than any L2Jxx server (no idea if it's marketing or no), you can think about optimization of the "mother" project itself.

Btw, it's no because a 100mega inet line will give 100mega... Or a 54mega wifi can use a 54mega connection.

There are limits, whatever you think. If it's not OS (your 16kk clients), it's program, if it's not, it's connection, if not, hardware. And I don't even talk about environnement (physical etc) which add latency.

The goal in a server isn't to reach 50k players, it's to make it playable aswell lol.

-----

By default, L2OFF uses more ram, but can handle more players at EQUAL FEATURES and HARDWARE.

But I agree some servers (check their server specs, and make a approximative cost lol - 4 dedicate inet lines, etc etc) haven't to be ashamed about population.

And what only 2 exemples which reach 3K+ ? On 1000 L2J/xx servers ? :P It's not a good proof about limitations ?

by PyroMaker

Required:

Athlon 64 4200+ Processor

4GB RAM

200GB HDD

10mbit dedicated connection

Microsoft Windows 2003 Server x64

Recommended:

Dual Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz

8GB or 16GB RAM

2x or 3x 200GB 10k+ RPM HDDs (SCSi)

100mbit dedicated connection

Microsoft Windows 2003 Server x64

by PyroMaker

Make sure the operating system is a 64-bits system, since L2Server won't work in a 32-bits system.

With the "Required" specs you'll be able to get about 300 ~ 500 players with no lag. Anything above that will cause unwanted lag.

With the "Recommended" specs you'll be able to get about 1000 ~ 1500 players with 8GB RAM and with 16GB RAM it should take on 2000 ~ 3000 players without major problems.