How to test server before it goes live.

VesKo

Question

Hi im new, anyway i wanted to ask how i can test my l2j server. I mean how it will act with players online maybe 500++. It might seems silly but does offline shop are similar to real players and can i use them to test my server bcuz i wanna avoid problems when i actually run it.

12 answers to this question

1 minute ago, VesKo said:

Ok thanks for your time. I think its impossible to test what i wanted so i will just probably run it when the time comes and fix as something happend. 

Consider opening for BETA, it really helps to spot out major bugs before you move to official opening, because the amount of bugs that typically occur during the opening can be overwhelming.

Good luck.

Edited by An4rchy

25 minutes ago, VesKo said:

Hi im new, anyway i wanted to ask how i can test my l2j server. I mean how it will act with players online maybe 500++. It might seems silly but does offline shop are similar to real players and can i use them to test my server bcuz i wanna avoid problems when i actually run it.

Fakeplayers

Testing with fake players is a lot more complicated than you think. There's several systems/behavior that need to be created for the bots to be actually useful.

It all depends on what you wanna test. If you want to test for example PvP, you need to setup parties of bots, with correct behavior of each class (bishops healing, ressing, mass resses, cleanse, positioning, tanks aggro, archers to assist and perhaps run vs daggers, target priority, assisting etc etc).

If you want to test quests, it might get even more complicated, as you need to create logic for each quest to be automated by a bot, then save the results for each part of the quest in a readable manner to gather results (like how long it took, what the rewards are in the long term etc).

If you want to test whether or not your server will hold 500 players, bots are not the way to go, since you'll only be sending information of 500 bots to one player (observer, the admin, yourself). Real 500 players would be far heavier, as you would need to send information of 499 to each player (if they're in the same area ofcourse).

-

Best you can do is do an open beta, fix some bugs that will occur, and be prepared for 200 more bugs on opening. There's no real way to avoid this, unless you've re-opened the server 5 or 6 times and you've fixed (almost) everything that occured.

GL.

Edited by An4rchy

2 minutes ago, VesKo said:

I just wanna see how gs will act while with players so if smth came out i can fix 😅

But seems like its on-run going

It's not possible to emulate the behavior of 500 players easily to test if any errors in GS occur. That would require testing every aspect of the gameplay because believe me, players dig into everything. I had some people trying to fish in L2Eola, a pvp server where there's absolutely no reason to go fishing (slots were 300 or more iirc). Guess what fishing was broken and I got flooded in GS console with errors.

These things can only be detected real-time, unless you're some kind of genius and think of everything beforehand.

What will i achieve if i make 600 offline shops not one near one? What part of srver this will stress? 

I know players are digging im concern not about errors that can occur once when someone is fishing more like something that can be fatal about server connections

7 minutes ago, VesKo said:

What will i achieve if i make 600 offline shops not one near one? What part of srver this will stress? 

Nothing really. Server ram usage will increase slightly and perhaps a few more milliseconds server loading time (if they're loaded on server startup and saved on server shutdown).

On client-side it would be a bit heavier as there's no concept of 'offline shop' in the client, it would assume those offline shops are idle players, so animations would still play and their meshes would still be rendered, resulting in less fps or worse performance (if they're in the same place).

7 minutes ago, VesKo said:

I know players are digging im concern not about errors that can occur once when someone is fishing more like something that can be fatal about server connections

As long as you didn't mess with networking code and your pack has been used by online servers before, I doubt you'll get networking issues (except for the few people that try to run on VM, or windows XP xD).

Edited by An4rchy

Just now, VesKo said:

Can u explain me about realplayers whats that and can i use it just so i can make 600 online real-like connections to see server basic behavior? 

'Real players' is not a system, I'm talking about actual players. There's no way I can think of that you can emulate 500 real connections without access to client source to make the modifications necessary.

You could in theory make a 'mock' tcp client to connect with l2 server and make it spam packets to the server to emulate many connections with real data sent-received, but seriously who would bother to do something like that for L2 lol.

1 minute ago, An4rchy said:

'Real players' is not a system, I'm talking about actual players. There's no way I can think of that you can emulate 500 real connections without access to client source to make the modifications necessary.

You could in theory make a 'mock' tcp client to connect with l2 server and make it spam packets to the server to emulate many connections with real data sent-received, but seriously who would bother to do something like that for L2 lol.

Ok thanks for your time. I think its impossible to test what i wanted so i will just probably run it when the time comes and fix as something happend. 

1 hour ago, An4rchy said:

It's not possible to emulate the behavior of 500 players easily to test if any errors in GS occur. That would require testing every aspect of the gameplay because believe me, players dig into everything. I had some people trying to fish in L2Eola, a pvp server where there's absolutely no reason to go fishing (slots were 300 or more iirc). Guess what fishing was broken and I got flooded in GS console with errors.

These things can only be detected real-time, unless you're some kind of genius and think of everything beforehand.

😂😂😂

Rly fishing as Hobbie in l2 jesus

3 hours ago, GsL said:

😂😂😂

Rly fishing as Hobbie in l2 jesus

I think it's because players are looking for exploits in every single part of the game, so perhaps in some server fished stuff could be sold for 10kk each so they test everything.