Starting l2j???

Opeth

Question

Hi All,

Im not coder, not dev, just a normal l2 player.

Im read the guide on the net, setup and runing a offline l2j server at home, for testing only.

I have alots of questions, plz patien with me. Only basic questions for newbie ^^

Wat is base skill for for editing l2j? Learn Java? And...?

Wat i need for runing, protecting, editing a l2j sever?

Wat the difference among l2j pure code and complited l2j?

3 answers to this question

Hi All,

Im not coder, not dev, just a normal l2 player.

Im read the guide on the net, setup and runing a offline l2j server at home, for testing only.

I have alots of questions, plz patien with me. Only basic questions for newbie ^^

Wat is base skill for for editing l2j? Learn Java? And...?

Wat i need for runing, protecting, editing a l2j sever?

Wat the difference among l2j pure code and complited l2j?

if u wanna lose money / life start one l2 server

What is base skill for for editing l2j? Learn Java? And...?

I believe you only need some logic and time. If you know and code with another dev language, you already got the logic. The logic can also be learnt using only time and some brain cells. The time is needed to know how L2J structure is. There are 1200+ files, without counting datapack side so to know what and where to search you either need some logic too (using Search tool) or know where one part of the thing you edit goes by.

You need around 1-2 months to know how L2J files are imbricated in each other, and around 4-6 months if you never developed with Java. Around month 1-2, you already can pass stuff. The most important thing when you pass things is to remember WHERE you passed them, and try to understand WHY you pass them. It's a vital point to learn faster.

What i need for runing, protecting, editing a l2j sever?

Nowadays a DDoS protection is needed if you count to put your server public. About regular hardware, it depends of your players count. The biggest impacting stuff is the RAM and HDD. Concerning RAM you can roughly count  "pack basic start + geoengine + 2/3mo per player". With 2g dedicated RAM to JVM, you can already have one thousand players.

Concerning edition, notepad++ (for htms, sqls, xmls) and any Java IDE (eclipse is the most popular) is a must. You need JDK 7 (not JRE) or JDK 6 if you use a really old chronicle/pack.

What the difference among l2j pure code and complited l2j?

Using a compiled pack, you simply got no control over source code. Meaning you can't edit a single shit inside. Adding customs, fixing bugs, removing stuff : impossible (in theory).

I invite you to read L2J wiki (type on Google) and if you use any form of existing pack, you can find even more informations on their forums (notably about installing, if different of regular L2J).