gameguard error grrr

when i open lineage i get a gameguard error

"the gameguard update was cancelled. Please check your firewall and your internet connection."

my fire wall is deactivated and i am conected to the internet (of course)

i reinstalled lineage on my pc but nothing happens plis some help here i don't want to

d format on my pc again  >:( >:( >:( >:( 

There are several methods to try and resolve a gameguard related issue.

To start, doing a full "FILE CHECK" does not have anything to do with Gameguard, HOWEVER in the utmost last resort of occasions, this is only when it's nessary.

When you click "START", the window disappears and a splash screen shows up. Splash screens are usually the little pictures, for lineage2, they rotate showing different things each time you hit start.

Durring the splash screen is the only time Gameguard is First Started, it updates itself durring this period. Usually if the splash screen remains for a lengthy period of time, it's either downloading updates for it, OR it's having a hard time connecting and getting the updates. Course it all depends on your internet connection. Dialup could take several minutes to nearly a half an hour, broadband is usually a few extra seconds.

Anyways, straight to the suggested order to try and resolve an issue. Try each one seperately if you wish, however it's best just to go through them ALL at one time to make sure.

POSSIBLY SOLUTIONS

Locate your Lineage2 SYSTEM folder and within it is a folder called "GameGuard", delete this folder completely.

Do a DNS Flush.

Windows XP ~> This is easily done by go to START~>RUN and then typing in:

cmd

Hit OK, a black screen shows up and type in

ipconfig /flushdns

Hit enter and the entire DNS should be wiped off the computer.

For windows VISTA users, you'll HAVE to grant ADMIN rights to CMD for the duration to do this, navigate to My computer ~> C: ~> Windows ~> SYSTEM32 ~> CMD.... RIGHT CLICK CMD and form the menu select "RUN AS ADMIN". From there, Do exactly as mentioned above for xp, type in ipconfig /flushdns and hit enter.

Reset Internet Explorer Files, While this is likely not to solve the problem, it usually removes some files that could potentially cause an issue reguardless.

go to START~>Control Panel~>Internet options

I'll only be refering to Internet Explorer 7. In this window that pops up should be a Delete button on the default TAB, click it then select DELETE ALL and then place a check in the unchecked box, hit delete. It may take several seconds to even minutes depending on when this was last done.

Resetting internet Connections:

If you have a DSL/Cable Modem or similare system, along with a Router or Hubs or similare between. You'll want to completely unplug these units both from the power and the network connections between. On Cable Modems, usually unhooking the Coax Cable itself from the modem and then grounding the Center wire on something metal for a second or 2 then hooking it back up can resolve several problems, including lag related issues or ping times.

In either case, doing a full reset of your network/internet is not a bad idea. Make sure you also full reset your own network adapter as well while your at it by doing the following:

For windows XP

usually the easiest way to do this is to go to START ~> control panel.

Within the control panel should be "Network Connections" select this.

Now you may have more then just ONE network connection, i'd suggest go through them all and right clicking, then selecting "DISABLE". After which, restart your computer, then go back into the network connections and right click them all and select "ENABLE", this is a method in which a forceful HARD reset of the adapters is initiated.

Fow windows Vista:

You'll need to go to start~>Control Panel~>Network and Sharing Center

When this window opens on the left hand side should be "Manage Network Connections"

From there repeat the cycle as you would for Windows XP, Right click , disable, restart, enable.

#5 (completely optional)

Gameguard could potentially be blocked by serveral firewalls and anti-virus or similare software. You may want to try completely Disabling these just to see if the problem is resolved. One such manner would be to check the software options and preference to see if you could possibly disable for a period of time or prevent it from even starting up the next time you start your computer. Of course remember where to go so you can later reverse the process.

However on place to check is: START~>RUN~> type in MSCONFIG and hit enter, now go to the startup tab and browse the list, essentially NOTHING in this list is ABSALUTELY required, so you could try DISABLING everything, next you could try and go to the SERVICES TAB, PLEASE be warned, do not disable crucial services, at the bottom of the tab is an option to HIDE MICROSOFT SERVICES, i'd suggest you check this, the list should be dramatically shortened. From this small list everything should safe to disable. Hit Apply when your done and restart, This not only could dramatically speed up your system, but 99% of the things disabled are not nessary from startup and can be run when needed. However Norton/AVG/ or any antivirus NEEDS these services runnign to be effective, so you can go back and pick and choose which services and startups you want running to better fine tune your machine.

#6 (be extremely careful with this)

CHECK your hosts file...

to do this navigate through to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\

Within this folder should be a file named "Hosts" however it typically should show up as a "unknown" file format. Double click this and you'll likely be greeted with having to choose a program you want to use to open this file. Select a "NOTEPAD" as the program to use.

You should be greeted with a bunch of microsoft information pertaining to the hosts file and tcp/ip, along with mapping addresses and whatnot. EXAMPLE below in quotes:

Quote:

# Copyright © 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.

#

# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.

#

# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each

# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should

# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.

# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one

# space.

#

# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual

# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.

#

# For example:

#

# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server

# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

::1 localhost

This is what your HOSTS for windows Vista should look like, make sure it is (applies to all vista versions be it 32bit or 64bit)

For windows XP/2000, this is an example of what your host file should look like

Quote:

# Copyright © 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.

#

# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.

#

# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each

# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should

# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.

# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one

# space.

#

# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual

# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.

#

# For example:

#

# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server

# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

MAKE sure it looks like this. IF there are any extra IPs or anything not exact, REMOVE IT to make it look every way the same as the 2 examples above depending on the OS you are using. Every space, #, number and letter should be indentical. Easiest method to make sure of this is to copy and highly the above stuff WITHIN the quotes and copy it and paste it into the notepad hosts, then save it.

Final Note

Be forwarned, doing anything of the sort is your own responcibility, while under typical everyday circumstances, nothing should go wrong, there is always a chance if something is changed by accident, or you happen to screwing anything up, your responcible, not I, nor NCSOFT or anyone else but yourself is responcible for anything done.

@lineage2.com