[Guide] Editing mob names/titles

I don't know if this has been posted anytime before, if so, please delete/ignore this post.

!!! BACKUP YOUR FILES BEFORE CHANGING ANYTHING, IF YOUR GAME STOPS WORKING, DON'T BLAME ME !!!

Okay. I find this quite useful to me, so it might be useful to others, I hope.

I like things done in my own way, reason why I'm making this guide, to people who like customized stuff.

Anyways, let's rock.

Tools needed:

L2EncDec (redirects to the maker of it - so giving him his deserved credits)

L2DAT_Full (I haven't ever found the official site nor the maker name - credits to "him/her")

1. Creating shortcuts for L2EncDec

First, unpack the tools (close to each other to make it easier).

After, make 2 shortcuts for L2EncDec (right-click l2encdec.exe and hit 'create a shortcut', twice).

You will edit them now (right-click > properties).

Now in the first box where it's the path to the executable, add a "-d". It should look like this:

"X:\l2encdec\l2encdec_281\l2encdec.exe -d"

Click ok and rename that shortcut to "L2EncDec Decrypt" or something similar.

Now for the crypt part. On the other shortcut, you will do the same, edit it and change the first box again, but to:

"X:\l2encdec\l2encdec_281\l2encdec.exe -e 413" (413 for C4, I'm not sure about C5 or Interlude, but may be 414 instead)

Click ok and rename that shortcut to "L2EncDec Crypt 413" or something to be identificable by it's name.

2. Decrypting your npcname-e.dat

Grab your npcname-e.dat from your /system/ inside your L2 installed directory.

Throw it inside the L2EncDec folder. Now throw it over the "L2EncDec Decrypt" shortcut.

If everything worked, you should now have a file named dec-npcname-e.dat on that folder.

No, you cannot open it yet. Grab that new file and throw it in L2DatFull folder.

Rename it to "npcname-e.dat" again. Open L2DatFull and select npcname-e.dat, then hit "Decode".

Now  you should have a file named npcname-e.txt on that folder.

3. Editing the name/title of the mobs

Open the npcname-e.txt you just created, with notepad if you want to. Yes, it's plain text, but don't mess it too much.

You have always to follow the structure of it.

You should have something similar to this:

npc_begin	id=28	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Pincher]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=29	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Ruin Zombie Leader]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=30	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Langk Lizardman]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=31	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Omen Beast]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=32	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Pinrul]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=33	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[shade Horror]	npc_end

npc_begin / npc_end: ignore this, just structural, leave 'em alone.

id: This is VERY important to you. It's the ID of the mob. Some mobs have 2 or more mobs with the same name. Like.. chests. Example:

npc_begin	id=134	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Cave Maiden]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=287	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Cave Maiden]	npc_end

This means you have 2 different mobs in drops and maybe stats, but the same monster in-game, with the same name.

I know that the Cave Maiden with ID 134 drops EWB. How? 2 ways to do it. I find the first one quicker. Change the name of one of them, by simply editing their name over there or add a title to them, like "[Cave Maiden 1]" and "[Cave Maiden 2]" in case of name. Or just set the nick (title) to something like "nick=[iD 134]" and go spoil them. Once you find your first EWB, look at the mobs name/title so you will know which one was, after that you can re-edit your npcname-e and put the title(nick) as "[EWB]", so you will always know it ingame which one drops it only looking at their title. Cake.

The second way to do it is by checking the drops in SQL, but you must install a L2OFF server or maybe a L2J (I don't know if the ID/drops are the same for both as I never even played on a L2J server). That's quite too much trouble only to check drops, unless they are EXTREMELY rare or you play on a really low rate server. I'm thinking about making a table with drops by id, but well, I don't have much time to install this kind of stuff. So I just use the first option.

nickcolor (it's the mob's title - example: Raid Fighter): You can edit the color of the title of any mob by changing nickcolor. I'm not sure of the options, but one is "raid", to be shown in orange. Other one is "quest", which is very similar. The "default" is green. Not sure how to make it red, sorry, if anyone knows, I'll add to the guide and give proper credits.

name: The name of the mob. You can enter whatever you want. For example: I edited the name of all gatekeepers because I was tired of aiming on her with dozens of players around them. I renamed all GKs to "x". Now I just do "/t x". Next step will do the same with Warehouse Keepers, but with "y", maybe. :)

4. Re-ecnrypting npcname-e

Once you finish editing whatever you want on the txt file, save it.

Delete your old npcname-e.dat inside the folder of L2DatFull.

Now, open L2DatFull, select npcname-e.dat and hit "Encode".

A file named npcname-e.dat should now appear on that folder.

Throw it into L2EncDec's folder, then throw it into the "L2EncDec Crypt - 413" shortcut. (or 414 if you're on Interlude, I think - NOT SURE - can someone confirm?).

You should now have a file named enc-npcname-e.dat.

Rename it to npcname-e.dat (delete any other file with that name first).

Throw this npcname-e.dat to /system/ inside your L2 folder, replacing your old one (did you remember to backup your old one?).

Run the game, see if it's all ok and have fun.

For treasure chests/boxes, I have these id codes:

npc_begin	id=13092	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Box]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=13093	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Box]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=13094	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Box]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=13095	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Box]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=13096	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Box]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=13097	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Box]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=13098	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Box]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=13099	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Box]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=13100	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Box]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=13101	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Box]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=13102	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Box]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=13103	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Box]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=13104	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Box]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=13105	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Box]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=13106	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Box]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=13107	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Box]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=13108	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Box]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=13109	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Box]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=13110	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Box]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=13111	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Box]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=13112	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Box]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=13113	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Box]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=13114	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Box]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=13115	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Box]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=13116	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Box]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=13117	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Box]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=13118	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Box]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=13119	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Box]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=13120	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Box]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=13121	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Box]	npc_end

As for chests: (Warning: 2 different parts, don't paste 'em all together as you can have only 1 id for a mob)

I think the ones "Out of Use" may be in use now on Interlude, I'm not sure as I don't have/play it.

npc_begin	id=1042	nickcolor=default	nick=[Out of Use]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1043	nickcolor=default	nick=[Out of Use]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1044	nickcolor=default	nick=[Out of Use]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1045	nickcolor=default	nick=[Out of Use]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1046	nickcolor=default	nick=[Out of Use]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1047	nickcolor=default	nick=[Out of Use]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1048	nickcolor=default	nick=[Out of Use]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1049	nickcolor=default	nick=[Out of Use]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1050	nickcolor=default	nick=[Out of Use]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1051	nickcolor=default	nick=[Out of Use]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1052	nickcolor=default	nick=[Out of Use]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1053	nickcolor=default	nick=[Out of Use]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1054	nickcolor=default	nick=[Out of Use]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1055	nickcolor=default	nick=[Out of Use]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1056	nickcolor=default	nick=[Out of Use]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1057	nickcolor=default	nick=[Out of Use]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end

npc_begin	id=1801	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1802	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1803	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1804	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1805	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1806	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1807	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1808	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1809	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1810	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1811	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1812	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1813	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1814	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1815	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1816	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1817	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1818	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1819	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1820	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1821	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end
npc_begin	id=1822	nickcolor=default	nick=[]	name=[Treasure Chest]	npc_end

Just so you know which one is which, just by their ID code. Easy, isn't it? :)

Of course you can do the same thing for anything inside L2DatFull options, like item names and whatever you want.

This works as a charm for me since C3OFF and still on C4OFF. Haven't tried on C5 and Interlude, but hey, it's the same process.

Hope everyone enjoys it. Peace out.

PS: If anyone want to add anything, feel free to say it and I will. :)

Edits: they were only to fix the title of the post so far, 'cause it was posted in the wrong section. Now it's ok, thanks mod!

1st It should be in client mods

2nd You don't need to do all this!!! Just download fileedit, open the file, and after the 1st big space gap add the title you want... Or edit the title/name ^^ This method was used on c1-c3 :P

Yeah, wrong section indeed, I was around exploits and ended up posting here -_- I'm sorry -_-;

If any mod get here, please move it to the right section! Thanks in advance.

I like this way better, it still works for today files, plus you can decrypt other files (like L2.ini, user.ini etc) with L2EncDec...

2 tools and you can do whatever you want ^^

To edit the .dat files , Dstuff team, the one who made l2encdec has already released l2asm & disasm, also CrazyRabbit has combined both tools to one GUI prog (L2 FileEdit) so that anyone can easilly handle/edit most of the files inside the system folder without the use of the command line and so...and it also works on C5/Interlude...

Well I had stopped playing L2 for an year, got back a month ago or so, as I found out that this method still worked, I posted 'cause I've seen people having trouble to find out the differences of treasure chests/boxes, that's why I posted this method, but if there's an easier tool, whoever reads this method should consider the other one then... I'll try it later on myself, I don't really like GUIs..

Thanks, helpful. L2Utils can change the color of the names, if anyone have it, change the color to red and give us the result (so we know what is the number for red). L2Utils has a color table I think... someone could copy it

L2Utils didn't ever work for me... I still like doing it manually :)

@hypper

http://www.theodora.com/gif4/html_colors.gif

I didn't say that it doesn't work, but since c4, when fileedit was originally released, nobody uses the old method (i use them only when a new cronicle is out or when fileedit cannot decrypt the file (ex: CT1 PTS). Anyway, it is not only the Graphical User Interface but because of the fact that it is easier (on the old method it was a mess) to find entries!

As for the chests etc, there is walker, and if walker does not work, then there is Lineage 2 Tool ^^ Plus, it adds colors, levels, aggro, spoil list, MT Race and more...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...