How to avoid one of the main critical errors 2047MB ram

Posted (edited)

This is my first and last topic created on a Lineage Forum, because if there's one thing that causes headaches for a lot of people, it's the critical error, that's why I decided to share it...

I'm creating a server again and before starting configurations I started collecting dozens of customs, without realizing my system folder had 950MB of files, so I started to enter the game, every 1 to 2 hours my client was reaching the maximum limit of virtual memory of the game due to the absurd amount of customs inside the system folder, reaching the maximum limit of 2047MB virtual ram, automatically we get critical, regardless of the error that appears on your screen, "THE WORDS ARE IRRELEVANT, unless it is a critical error before the ram memory limit reaches its limit", if you are seeing "2047 MB", it means that the game's virtual memory has reached its limit, and this memory is not configurable due to the game being created on 32-bit architecture, so I significantly reduced the amount of customs within the system from 950MB to 625MB, so my client started to reach the maximum memory limit every 10 to 12h, a huge progress, but my goal was at least 24h before reaching the virtual memory limit (playing frantically), so I reduced the system's custom files from 625MB to 267MB, the result was a first virtual memory limit critical error appearing after 41h.

My client is H5, the only types of customs I added to the game were focused only on equipment, one of the main causes were these skins and cloaks, they consume a huge amount of MB's within the "system", the problem is not adding customs to the client, the problem is adapting a custom and adding it inside the system folder, the system folder was not created with the intention of storing a huge amount of files.

Adding customs to the system folder means significantly reducing the time your client can remain open before reaching the virtual ram limit and make no mistake, there are hundreds of different critical errors with a small summary of the cause of the error, but if the critical table shows 2047MB of RAM, the problem is only 1. Example: I can see 3, 5, 9 critical error with different messages, but if this table is showing 2047MB ram, the reason was the virtual memory limit, an important detail is that this 2047MB ram is not a "fixed message or information from your computer", this 2047MB only appear when the cause is the virtual ram limit, it means that when you get a critical error with random numbers of ram memory appearing, such as 358MB ram, 715MB ram, it means that the cause of this error has no connection with ram virtual memory.

Sem título.png

Edited by Exdeathy

Can you define what you mean custom ? 

I haven't look into how the client loads the data in what order and when, but if you give some examples of the files you've reduced that would be helpful.

To add to the topic, the virtual ram critical error that @Exdeathy describes doesn't necessarily mean that you've run out of Virtual Memory. The client tried to allocate a continuous series of N bytes within this Virtual Memory block, but wasn't able to find one. So this error can happen even if your client is using 1000mb and you try to allocate 100mb of continuous memory but there wasn't any. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, xdem said:

Can you define what you mean custom ? 

I haven't look into how the client loads the data in what order and when, but if you give some examples of the files you've reduced that would be helpful.

To add to the topic, the virtual ram critical error that @Exdeathy describes doesn't necessarily mean that you've run out of Virtual Memory. The client tried to allocate a continuous series of N bytes within this Virtual Memory block, but wasn't able to find one. So this error can happen even if your client is using 1000mb and you try to allocate 100mb of continuous memory but there wasn't any. 

Custom = everything that is not part of my H5 client, such as Aegis skin, Death Knight skin, Constructor skin, Golden Valakas skin, an example is the pack containing 3 Golden Valakas skins+cloaks, to give you an idea, this pack consumes almost 200MB within the system, another example of custom is the Hunter Head set made by Asuki, almost 100MB within the system, every custom item added to the client, specifically within the system folder will increase the consumption of your client's virtual ram memory, the more custom added there, the faster your client will close due to critical.

Around 4 to 5 custom packs that I removed from the system and made my client reach the ram virtual limit only after more than 40 hours online, in other words; It is only worth adding custom items to the system folder if it is very well compressed, maximum up to 10MB per custom pack

(This pack below in the photo, only it inside your client - system consumes almost 200MB, when I removed this pack inside the system it increased the game's lifespan by almost 4h during my tests)

QQQ.jpg

Edited by Exdeathy

Do you think that everything on the system is loaded regardless if you use it or not ? or even worst, are they loaded even if they exist as textures/meshes but not defined on the DAT files ?

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, xdem said:

Do you think that everything on the system is loaded regardless if you use it or not ? or even worst, are they loaded even if they exist as textures/meshes but not defined on the DAT files ?

Customs being added to systextures/animation/texture influences the increase in virtual ram by a very small amount, which means you won't have a headache in the future with critical error issues, unless it's a dubious custom, there are 2 custom weapon packs available for H5 that are "compromised", they didn't make a very good adaptation, one of the packages is the weapons from the goddess of destruction for H5, another is the hero weapons from the goddess of destruction for H5, avoid these customs for your H5 server if you see it on any forum.

Now coming back to your question; one thing that the NCSoft developers never did was add files to their system, probably because they were aware of what could happen when doing that, now think about one thing: the game's system retail itself is no more than 70MB, every time there was an update made by NCSoft they always added the equipment/items/cloaks etc. in their folders intended for that, so why do we do this? I still have my client containing a system with almost 1GB, 1-2h online is the time I can stay online before the ram memory limit, but I have already redone my entire client with customs being destined for textures/systexture/animations, almost all the customs that I had on that client containing a 1GB system I have on my current server, with the difference that I removed everything from the system and critical error is now nothing more than legends, my current server has a total of 220MB in the system folder

And theoretically speaking, based on what I've seen, especially on many forums, I believe that the heavier the system folder is, the faster we accelerate the consumption of the client's virtual ram memory, causing countless different types of critical error in one short period of time, in many forums that I've seen on topics involving critical, the solution that stands out the most is about downloading a new clean "system"

Edited by Exdeathy

8 hours ago, Exdeathy said:

Customs being added to systextures/animation/texture influences the increase in virtual ram by a very small amount, which means you won't have a headache in the future with critical error issues, unless it's a dubious custom, there are 2 custom weapon packs available for H5 that are "compromised", they didn't make a very good adaptation, one of the packages is the weapons from the goddess of destruction for H5, another is the hero weapons from the goddess of destruction for H5, avoid these customs for your H5 server if you see it on any forum.

Now coming back to your question; one thing that the NCSoft developers never did was add files to their system, probably because they were aware of what could happen when doing that, now think about one thing: the game's system retail itself is no more than 70MB, every time there was an update made by NCSoft they always added the equipment/items/cloaks etc. in their folders intended for that, so why do we do this? I still have my client containing a system with almost 1GB, 1-2h online is the time I can stay online before the ram memory limit, but I have already redone my entire client with customs being destined for textures/systexture/animations, almost all the customs that I had on that client containing a 1GB system I have on my current server, with the difference that I removed everything from the system and critical error is now nothing more than legends, my current server has a total of 220MB in the system folder

And theoretically speaking, based on what I've seen, especially on many forums, I believe that the heavier the system folder is, the faster we accelerate the consumption of the client's virtual ram memory, causing countless different types of critical error in one short period of time, in many forums that I've seen on topics involving critical, the solution that stands out the most is about downloading a new clean "system"

I've reverse engineered the shit out of how L2 loads files in the past. It doesn't really matter if the files are located in System/Systextures/Textures whatever, based on my observations folders on L2 client exist only for hierarchy reasons ...
Now I am not sure if the client loads everything it finds even if its not used

I had a similar issue when setting up my server, and it took some trial and error to figure out the cause. It's crucial to keep an eye on the size of the system folder, especially when adding custom files. I found that reducing the number of custom files significantly increased the stability of my client. It's a good practice to regularly check and optimize the size of your system folder to avoid hitting the virtual memory limit.

• Like 1