Is There A Point In Starting A New Extender Now?

Hello people,

I've recently got myself a Windows PC after using OSX for ~4 years due to work-related reasons. You probably don't know me, but I used to share some of my l2off work on the old PostPacific forums, so I'm not really new to this. But as you may figure out, I've been away from the L2 scene this whole time, so I'm considerably lost about everything related to L2.

I saw some stuff about the GF files leakage, which I already downloaded and seems to be running fine, as far as I can tell. But I also know it has some bugs/exploits, as usual, and I'd like to know more about them to be able to fix those. Even if it's just for fun, I don't care.

Anyway, I've started my own (personal) extender project based on that GF files. I hooked them up to the executables and I'm getting the hang of the whole thing, already did some hooks and small fixes/improvements, and I am currently working on supporting properly the newer race, Ertheia. So....

TL;DR:

Do you guys think it's worth it to create a extender to enable the server to be used with a newer client (i.e. Infinite Odyssey)? Or is the L2 gaming community for private servers pretty much dead? 

If there is enough interest, we can talk about sharing information. I don't mind setting up a wiki for sharing offsets, structures, and so on... Or maybe even start an open source project, who knows. Everything will depend on how much the developers community is interested on the whole idea.

Cheers.

IMHO, using a 6+ year old serverpack to make an extender is just not worth it (esp. for newer clients).

There are newer serverpacks, but they are neither available nor for sale (despite the fact that they are already horribly outdated as well: no Classic mode, for example).

The main problem with future client support is that you can have ertheia, and you can even get the bonuses/base stats right (even for the new attrs), but all the skill landing rates will be just as wrong as in l2j. Because GF is really outdated in that sense.

So it will be kind of like the C3 servers that used C1 as base: no manor, entirely wrong spawns and a different gameplay. You can add all the missing content, sure; but in the end such server will simply look like just another l2j.

And extending GF just to use GF as a base for custom gameplay… Didn't anyone tell you that everybody left all GF servers when GE (and later Freya) arrived?*

* - they all came back to GF a lot later due to reasons I cannot understand, but GF already was as dead as it can get.

GE is close enough to GF to be literally perfect (some areas with new mobs, bishop/ee/se skills system and mail). Sadly almost no one cares about that version (I'm ignoring advext's GE version as they based scripts totally on Freya, not GF, and that made a lot of the npcdata inexact - it sohuld have been 'hybrid', just adding what is different).

Freya would also be almost perfect as there are even the scripts available, but it seemed no one really liked it/wanted HF only. If I m correct Mac had made a freya version long ago that is not available anywhere.

Anything above HF is extreme guesswork imo.

Edited by ericvini

IMHO, using a 6+ year old serverpack to make an extender is just not worth it (esp. for newer clients).

There are newer serverpacks, but they are neither available nor for sale (despite the fact that they are already horribly outdated as well: no Classic mode, for example).

The main problem with future client support is that you can have ertheia, and you can even get the bonuses/base stats right (even for the new attrs), but all the skill landing rates will be just as wrong as in l2j. Because GF is really outdated in that sense.

So it will be kind of like the C3 servers that used C1 as base: no manor, entirely wrong spawns and a different gameplay. You can add all the missing content, sure; but in the end such server will simply look like just another l2j.

And extending GF just to use GF as a base for custom gameplay… Didn't anyone tell you that everybody left all GF servers when GE (and later Freya) arrived?*

* - they all came back to GF a lot later due to reasons I cannot understand, but GF already was as dead as it can get.

You have a good point, the skilldata/npcdata would never be exactly as retail. But still, it would still run a lot better than an l2j and could handle way more connections efficiently, considering the hypothetical extender would be well-developed and would not ruin the default performance, of course.

About everyone leaving GF servers, I have no idea. Like I mentioned, I'm totally lost when it comes to L2 community. Last chronicle I actually played was Interlude, although did I play (very little) on Hellbound or something around that.

Just out of curiosity: when you say there are newer serverpacks around, you mean retail ones? As in another pack leaked from NCSoft/Innova? 

GE is close enough to GF to be literally perfect (some areas with new mobs, bishop/ee/se skills system and mail). Sadly almost no one cares about that version (I'm ignoring advext's GE version as they based scripts totally on Freya, not GF, and that made a lot of the npcdata inexact - it sohuld have been 'hybrid', just adding what is different).

Freya would also be almost perfect as there are even the scripts available, but it seemed no one really liked it/wanted HF only. If I m correct Mac had made a freya version long ago that is not available anywhere.

Anything above HF is extreme guesswork imo.

I actually mentioned Infinite Odyssey because it's the latest (or at least that's what the NCSoft launcher downloaded for me), so I thought it would be more interesting to support that. But yeah, that would require a shitload of changes to be coded, and honestly I can't dedicate enough time for that as I have a real job and stuff.

Anyway, HF could be the target version then, as apparently that's a pretty popular version of the game. With this in mind, is the work involved worth it? Is there enough players actually playing the game nowadays?

I'm not really looking for profit, but I won't waste time on something that's not gonna be used by anyone.

You have a good point, the skilldata/npcdata would never be exactly as retail.

I meant that there are more traits (which do not exist in GF), the chance modifiers are applied differently and that there are certain additional limits imposed based on currently active effect counts. In other words, [de]buffs would work like on a l2j server: land rates would have zero connection with the chronicle that the client is made for.

Just out of curiosity: when you say there are newer serverpacks around, you mean retail ones? As in another pack leaked from NCSoft/Innova?

From what I understand, they leak off the NC distribution point (which distributes to all the licensees, as NCSoft itself only operates in Korea and Taiwan). Perhaps McBigmac could elaborate further.

I actually mentioned Infinite Odyssey because it's the latest (or at least that's what the NCSoft launcher downloaded for me), so I thought it would be more interesting to support that. But yeah, that would require a shitload of changes to be coded, and honestly I can't dedicate enough time for that as I have a real job and stuff.

No worries. After being deployed in NA, the exalted quest chain (main IO selling point) was broken for a few months, with missing NPCs and the whole dimensional siege functionality. So it's not only private servers that fail to deliver in time.

Anyway, HF could be the target version then, as apparently that's a pretty popular version of the game. With this in mind, is the work involved worth it? Is there enough players actually playing the game nowadays?

I'm not really looking for profit, but I won't waste time on something that's not gonna be used by anyone.

HF is 2011… There are rumors of a complete HF leak, so you'd be much better of making an extender from that. But then again, we have had nothing shared since GF. As if people use those serverpacks, then quit L2 and just delete them.

Or perhaps the rumors are all wrong. But how could someone know the internal naming of all ertheia classes? How do you 'guess' that "Eviscerator" is actually "strato_lenker"?

EDIT:

Rumours say there is HF, GoD or GD, GDL(Lindvior) or GDS(Epeisodion) and Ertheia.

There is a legit GD (not Lindvior) script pack currently on sale. But there's just .txts and .htms (and geo) – nothing even close to test/replicate GoD+ behavior (not to mention that there have been too many changes since GD for those files to have any value now).

Edited by _dev_

I meant that there are more traits (which do not exist in GF), the chance modifiers are applied differently and that there are certain additional limits imposed based on currently active effect counts. In other words, [de]buffs would work like on a l2j server: land rates would have zero connection with the chronicle that the client is made for.

Yep, I got that. I just super-simplified the issue.

From what I understand, they leak off the NC distribution point (which distributes to all the licensees, as NCSoft itself only operates in Korea and Taiwan). Perhaps McBigmac could elaborate further.

Hmmm, that's interesting. I'd like to know more about that, hopefully McBigmac can provide some info.

HF is 2011… There are rumors of a complete HF leak, so you'd be much better of making an extender from that. But then again, we have had nothing shared since GF. As if people use those serverpacks, then quit L2 and just delete them.

Or perhaps the rumors are all wrong. But how could someone know the internal naming of all ertheia classes? How do you 'guess' that "Eviscerator" is actually "strato_lenker"?

I do believe there might have been more leaks. If a first leak happened, there will be further leaks; and in this case, it wasn't just one. But then, I could state that the "Eviscerator" is actually "strato_cancer" and nobody would be able to deny that. Unless we see real server files, anything is just a rumor. :)

But then, I could state that the "Eviscerator" is actually "strato_cancer" and nobody would be able to deny that. Unless we see real server files, anything is just a rumor. :)

Oh well, you have been away for a very long time. Unfortunately, the person was correct. Just a blind shot RIGHT INTO THE ertheia's manual_pch.txt:

DiZEikr.png

Here's freya/gf manual_pch entries:

[fighter]	=	0
[warrior]	=	1
[gladiator]	=	2
[warlord]	=	3
[knight]	=	4
[paladin]	=	5
[dark_avenger]	=	6
[rogue]		=	7
[treasure_hunter] =	8
[hawkeye]	=	9
[mage]		=	10
[wizard]	=	11
[sorcerer]	=	12
[necromancer]	=	13
[warlock]	=	14
[cleric]	=	15
[bishop]	=	16
[prophet]	=	17
[elven_fighter]	=	18
[elven_knight]	=	19
[temple_knight]	=	20
[swordsinger]	=	21
[elven_scout]	=	22
[plains_walker]	=	23
[silver_ranger]	=	24
[elven_mage]	=	25
[elven_wizard]	=	26
[spellsinger]	=	27
[elemental_summoner] = 	28
[oracle]	=	29
[elder]		=	30
[dark_fighter]	=	31
[palus_knight]	=	32
[shillien_knight] =	33
[bladedancer]	=	34
[assassin]	=	35
[abyss_walker]	=	36
[phantom_ranger] =	37
[dark_mage]	=	38
[dark_wizard]	=	39
[spellhowler]	=	40
[phantom_summoner] =	41
[shillien_oracle] =	42
[shillien_elder] =	43
[orc_fighter]	=	44
[orc_raider]	=	45
[destroyer]	=	46
[orc_monk]	=	47
[tyrant]	=	48
[orc_mage]	=	49
[orc_shaman]	=	50
[overlord]	=	51
[warcryer]	=	52
[dwarven_fighter] =	53
[scavenger]	=	54
[bounty_hunter]	=	55
[artisan]	=	56
[warsmith]	=	57
[duelist] 	= 	88
[dreadnought] 	= 	89
[phoenix_knight] = 	90
[hell_knight] 	= 	91
[sagittarius] 	= 	92
[adventurer] 	= 	93
[archmage] 	= 	94
[soultaker] 	= 	95
[arcana_lord] 	= 	96
[cardinal] 	= 	97
[hierophant] 	= 	98
[evas_templar] 	= 	99
[sword_muse] 	= 	100
[wind_rider] 	= 	101
[moonlight_sentinel] = 	102
[mystic_muse] 	= 	103
[elemental_master] = 	104
[evas_saint] 	= 	105
[shillien_templar] = 	106
[spectral_dancer] = 	107
[ghost_hunter] 	= 	108
[ghost_sentinel] = 	109
[storm_screamer] = 	110
[spectral_master] = 	111
[shillien_saint] = 	112
[titan] 	= 	113
[grand_khavatari] =	114
[dominator] 	= 	115
[doomcryer] 	= 	116
[fortune_seeker] = 	117
[maestro] 	= 	118
[kamael_m_soldier]	= 	123
[kamael_f_soldier]	= 	124
[trooper]	=	125
[warder]	=	126
[berserker]	=	127
[m_soul_breaker]	=	128
[f_soul_breaker]	=	129
[arbalester]	=	130
[doombringer]	=	131
[m_soul_hound]	=	132
[f_soul_hound]	=	133
[trickster]	=	134
[inspector]	=	135
[judicator]	=	136
And here's the whole html list:

class_preview_abyss_walker001.htm
class_preview_adventurer001.htm
class_preview_arbalester001.htm
class_preview_arcana_lord001.htm
class_preview_archmage001.htm
class_preview_artisan001.htm
class_preview_assassin001.htm
class_preview_berserker001.htm
class_preview_bishop001.htm
class_preview_bladedancer001.htm
class_preview_bounty_hunter001.htm
class_preview_cardinal001.htm
class_preview_cleric001.htm
class_preview_dark_avenger001.htm
class_preview_dark_wizard001.htm
class_preview_destroyer001.htm
class_preview_dominator001.htm
class_preview_doombringer001.htm
class_preview_doomcryer001.htm
class_preview_dreadnought001.htm
class_preview_duelist001.htm
class_preview_elder001.htm
class_preview_elemental_master001.htm
class_preview_elemental_summoner001.htm
class_preview_elven_knight001.htm
class_preview_elven_scout001.htm
class_preview_elven_wizard001.htm
class_preview_evas_saint001.htm
class_preview_evas_templar001.htm
class_preview_f_soul_breaker001.htm
class_preview_f_soul_hound001.htm
class_preview_fortune_seeker001.htm
class_preview_ghost_hunter001.htm
class_preview_ghost_sentinel001.htm
class_preview_gladiator001.htm
class_preview_grand_khavatari001.htm
class_preview_hawkeye001.htm
class_preview_hell_knight001.htm
class_preview_hierophant001.htm
class_preview_knight001.htm
class_preview_lenker001.htm
class_preview_m_soul_breaker001.htm
class_preview_m_soul_hound001.htm
class_preview_maestro001.htm
class_preview_marauder001.htm
class_preview_menace001.htm
class_preview_moonlight_sentinel001.htm
class_preview_mystic_muse001.htm
class_preview_necromancer001.htm
class_preview_oracle001.htm
class_preview_orc_monk001.htm
class_preview_orc_raider001.htm
class_preview_orc_shaman001.htm
class_preview_overlord001.htm
class_preview_paladin001.htm
class_preview_palus_knight001.htm
class_preview_phantom_ranger001.htm
class_preview_phantom_summoner001.htm
class_preview_phoenix_knight001.htm
class_preview_plains_walker001.htm
class_preview_prophet001.htm
class_preview_rogue001.htm
class_preview_sagittarius001.htm
class_preview_sayhas_seer001.htm
class_preview_scavenger001.htm
class_preview_shillien_elder001.htm
class_preview_shillien_knight001.htm
class_preview_shillien_oracle001.htm
class_preview_shillien_saint001.htm
class_preview_shillien_templar001.htm
class_preview_silver_ranger001.htm
class_preview_sorcerer001.htm
class_preview_soultaker001.htm
class_preview_spectral_dancer001.htm
class_preview_spectral_master001.htm
class_preview_spellhowler001.htm
class_preview_spellsinger001.htm
class_preview_storm_menace001.htm
class_preview_storm_screamer001.htm
class_preview_strato_lenker001.htm
class_preview_sword_muse001.htm
class_preview_swordsinger001.htm
class_preview_temple_knight001.htm
class_preview_titan001.htm
class_preview_treasure_hunter001.htm
class_preview_trickster001.htm
class_preview_trooper001.htm
class_preview_tyrant001.htm
class_preview_warcryer001.htm
class_preview_warder001.htm
class_preview_warlock001.htm
class_preview_warlord001.htm
class_preview_warrior001.htm
class_preview_warsmith001.htm
class_preview_wind_rider001.htm
class_preview_wizard001.htm
Coincidence? I don't think so. You could guess menace and storm_menace (as I did) from manus and storm manus (before NA localization). But Eviscerator was simply "Gravity Lenker". Not "Storm Lenker", regardless of how you would look at it. Edited by _dev_

Related to ur OP, I d check attributes/skills enchants, as they are always bugged on the first try when using a newer client.

Edit: if you want to have a newer client running, just to have it 'pretty', then by all means go ahead, but if you like things retail-like, without any daemons anything higher than HF is pure speculation (and even HF - advext- itself isnt even close to correct in many things).

If I had the ability and time, I d make a GE/Freya public release just to have something pretty close to perfect done.

If you went the HF route, u d have people interested, but there is already advext and the rumors of the retail files being leaked (so, if they ever did leak, would mean ur work was wasted). There is a half-baked HF ext, with not even all hooks done, made by rival, but as always he didnt deliver after this initial burst +" lack of time" (aka he couldnt get past the skill barriers needed to be successful at it like dawid, james, mac, fred etc did) - RCE is hard.

Edited by ericvini

Storm Lenker was easy to guess :D

After collecting the evidence, it looks like it :D. Perhaps my thought process is now corrupted by knowing it, but it does seem like an option to try.

There is no trying to do you can explicitly find it.

Only low leveled class changes are linked, others are only accessible via quest ask&reply.