How to add or change quest markers.

Petosaur

Question

Hello again.

As the title suggests i would like to ask if anyone knows where in the server (or client?) can i meddle with quest markers?

What i mean exactly is this:

If an npc has an available quest to give, then a marker appears over their head. Red for one time and blue for repeatable quests etc etc.

I have searched a bit to find where the option to add a marker like that is, but i couldn't find it.

Since i spend a lot of time working on skill ideas and class balance (and a gazillion other things for that matter) and since there has been a great deal of work from college recently

i would really appreciate it if someone could share their knowledge on that matter...

I don't know if that is a client (most probably) or server side question, so please feel free to move this post wherever it belongs.

Thanx in advance for your time.

6 answers to this question

it is client side coded:

32733	LineageNpc2.gracia_ocommander_1hs	LineageNPCs2.gracia_ocommander_1hs_m00	3	LineageMonstersTex5.Gracia_ocommander_t00	LineageMonstersTex5.Gracia_ocommander_t01	LineageMonstersTex5.Gracia_ocommander_t02					0			2	4416	17																																	1.00000000	0	1				4	MonSound.Hit_normal_3	MonSound.Hit_Wet_1	MonSound.Hit_Bone_2	MonSound.Hit_normal_12		3	ChrSound.MNpc_Giant_Dmg_1	ChrSound.MNpc_Giant_Dmg_2	ChrSound.MNpc_Giant_Dmg_3	0			1	10282																																										1	1																																										LineageEffect.p_u002_a	0	50.00000000	250.00000000	70.00000000	1	0	0						0

i think its the 10282 number

From what I know from quests, it is a client modification.

You should try questname-e.dat, where all quest related stuff (conds, description of conds, radars markers) are located.

Then try to compare repeatable/one time quests (perhaps quest_type column ?).

Btw what happens if a NPC got different types of quests ?

I have worked with questname-e.dat extensively since i have changed several things on more than 50 quests and still going.

Unfortunately i haven't worked on them recently though, so i don't remember exactly how they work.

What i have changed is quest descriptions, names, tooltips, radar displays, item requirements so on so on.

The only thing that eludes me is the damn quest markers for some reason....

I will check it again right now to see if maybe i stupidly missed something obvious.

If there is any more info pls do share and thanx for the quick feedback :)

Yeap i found it... it seems if you look carefully its easy to find.

Vampir was right although i just saw that...thought you had refered me to questname-e.dat as well ... :S

But, indeed correct, it isn't in the questname-e.dat but in the npcgrp.dat!

Since i found it, i think it would be good to share how it works. This is for Freya Chronicle.

In the npcgrp.dat you will find all the npcs, their Ids, sounds, meshes etc etc.

After the sounds you will find the "quest_be" column where the quest markers are dealt. I will present an example but not the entire npc line cause it's huge:

We will look at Sir Collin Windawood who you MUST know if you've played L2 even a little bit.

Sir Collin takes part in 3 different quests: Step into the Future, Find Sir Windawood, Trial of Duty

Here is the part of this npc's data we care about:

ChrSound.MNpc_Fighter_Dmg_3<--this is where sound data ends--> 0 3 6 155 212        <-----after a while of blank line----->                3 3 4294967295 17

Ok lets break it down:

The first 0 i have no idea what it is but it doesnt concern us.

The number 3 afterwards is to say how many quests this npc is involved in.

The next three numbers are the quest Ids found in the questname-e.dat if you search the quest by name.

After a while of blank space which is left there in case the npc is involved in a gazillion different quests, you will find the next part we are interested in.

The number 3 here is once again how many quests this npc is involved in and the info about them.

The next three numbers are the STAGES of the respective quests at which the quest marker will appear. Keep in mind that for some reason you have to enter the previous stage rather than the actuall one!

Again:

3 6 155 212                          <-----after a while of blank space----->                3 3 4294967295 17

So in this case sir windawood:

takes part in 3 quests

The first quest's Id is "6"

The second quest's Id is "155"

and the third's Id is "212"

now the quest marker will appear over his head:

for the first quest: at the 2nd stage (3-1=2)

for the second quest: at the 1st stage (yes the number 4294967295 is effectively the 0 || 1-1=4294967295)

for the third quest: at the 16th stage (17-1=16)

ok im done...fiouf!

Hope this makes some sense and it may help someone....

Oh i forgot to mention everything else is done in the questname-e.dat. For example if the quest marker is blue or red etc etc..