[Help] How to delete 10k plus sign in patch file?

chuong2a

Question

Because most of patch file are error, so I have to apply patch manually.

I try to copy patch file to word and replace plus sign by white space, then I get 1 or 2k error when compiling.

I dont know why people like to share patch files which are useless instead of copying all changed files.

4 answers to this question

Replace tool on eclipse / on notepad++. If you replace like a noob you will delete also important "+" (like string concatenations, errors logs, etc), leading to errors.

Because most of patch file are error, so I have to apply patch manually.

Because patches are made for a particular version : if you edit your files, or use another version then you can have problem if files affected by your patch were different than your current version (as patches work with lines system, you add one line at top beginning and it's -beep-ed up).

I dont know why people like to share patch files which are useless instead of copying all changed files.

Because it's far easier to share, as they're automatically generated and consist of only edited lines. Copying whole files is stupid, you haven't an overview of what has been edited, it's heavy and it's not adaptable from chronicles to chronicles (and even from pack to pack).

Replace tool on eclipse / on notepad++. If you replace like a noob you will delete also important "+" (like string concatenations, errors logs, etc), leading to errors.

Yes, I get error because I also delete string concatenations.

But replace tool on eclipse / notepad++ is also delete important "+".

Could you tell me more detail about how?

Yes, I get error because I also delete string concatenations.

But replace tool on eclipse / notepad++ is also delete important "+".

Could you tell me more detail about how?

There is no special treatment, use "find" when you see an important "+" in order to go to next "+", else use "replace". Don't use "replace all" until you're sure all is ok, or until you're ok dealing with missing "+".

Btw, 10k "+" means you got a big number of string concatenations (giving the fact few diff patches are 10k+ lines, it can only means you use a huge amount of string concatenations), like a custom which only hardcode HTMs. For such case you should unhardcode all strings and use an HTM directly, it will be less costy for the server (as you haven't to re-compute used strings everytime you need it and as it can be saved in HtmCache), and you will have also far less code.

Just saying.