Properties infos

Bleadd

Question

Hello,

I'm using lastest H5 L2J Revision. In general.properties, i've some unknown properties, so i'm here to know what this properties deals with..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Thread Configuration
# ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Extreme caution should be here, set to defaults if you do not know what you are doing.
# These could possibly hurt your servers performance or improve it depending on your server's configuration, size, and other factors.
# Default: 10
ThreadPoolSizeEffects = 10

# Default: 13
ThreadPoolSizeGeneral = 13

# Default: 2
UrgentPacketThreadCoreSize = 2

# Default: 4
GeneralPacketThreadCoreSize = 4

# Default: 4
GeneralThreadCoreSize = 4

# Default: 6
AiMaxThread = 6

# Dead Lock Detector (a separate thread for detecting deadlocks).
# For improved crash logs and automatic restart in deadlock case if enabled.
# Check interval is in seconds.
# Default: True
DeadLockDetector = True

# Default: 20
DeadLockCheckInterval = 20

# Default: False
RestartOnDeadlock = False

They are useful to adapt for hardware?

10 answers to this question

That configures the threadpools, which can be considered the engine running the server. As you dont know what those parameters are, dont touch them

I wouldn't be too concerned with trying to make java work with your hardware. Java code has to be run through a virtual machine first anyway before it starts talking to hardware (or so I believe, correct me if I'm wrong).

I highly doubt you will need to touch these values.

bad configured, they will ruin your server

well configured, wont be a big performance impact, in fact, server wont feel so much difference between default config and custom config.

This is a little explanation:

A thread pool is a "recipent" where threads are create to execute enqueued tasks (Runnable). As you see, first parameters talk about sizes. That size is the number of threads which are created and used to execute those tasks in each Thread pool

L2J Server uses various thread pools:

General thread pool: to execute general-purpose code

IO Thread pool: to read from/write to packet bytebuffers packets

General packet thread pool: to execute the code with the data from bytebuffers packet

It also has scheduled thread pool (thread pools wich executes the task in the future)

Effect scheduled pool: used to manage effects time, add and removal

General scheduled pool: general-purpose scheduled thread pool

AI Scheduled thread pool: used to execute the events comming from AI execution

In total, 6 thread pool, each one with his configured thread pool size.

Now, what you must know and think before change the config is: There will not be never more threads in execution than your machine core processor.

If you have a Intel i7 quad core with 4x processors, there will not be never more than 4 thread executing at the same time.

Now, to proceed to configure it you should know about the kernel switch context and how it works, how threads are release (even if they are not finished) to give time to other threads, and how to get rid and use the time the cores are released by blocking access from threads.

Resuming, dont touch them

dont confuse io and general packet thread pools with mmocore tasks

oww my bad.

One more thing, now i have been looking for priority system used in java and didnt found too much information. But are the 2 urgent I/O packets threads needed if a proirity system is implemented? Anyway i know that those 2 threads are only created when needed but we still use a pool for them. And if they are rly urgent (cant even wait to any of other 4 to finish) is there a block active thread if urgent income politic?

Thx for the info

Priority just give to the JVM the order in which threads must be executed, from 1 (lower priority) to 10 (max priority). And dont confuse yourself with the configs name. That "urgent" is not supossed for a critical execution peek or smth, the config itself is just the IOPacket thread pool core size.