[Source]L2Universe aka L2J-Infinity

int, byte = 4 byte both you stupid noob, you wont save memory if you use bytes, you only limit the values.

hehe i like guys like you.

if you use it for an average declaration where its a number value with a getter and setter yes it dont make any difference BUT if you use it where you handle it as an int array or a key or value or a data holder it really makes a difference after some time.

Just so you understand it lets say i optimize from that point of view the l2skill of l2jserver after i finish with it i see -5mb memory footprint and i did it with 1 single class now multiple with the number of places where it can be done.

hehe i like guys like you.

if you use it for an average declaration where its a number value with a getter and setter yes it dont make any difference BUT if you use it where you handle it as an int array or a key or value or a data holder it really makes a difference after some time.

Just so you understand it lets say i optimize from that point of view the l2skill of l2jserver after i finish with it i see -5mb memory footprint and i did it with 1 single class now multiple with the number of places where it can be done.

Smart boy ;) I thought you wouldnt know that and fall in the trap we setup :)

i see you write something long so lets put some math into play.

the sizes are:

byte: 1 byte

short: 2 byte

int: 4 byte

long: 8 byte

if we have an array which have 100 value the size of it in allocated memory as follows.

primitiveType[] array = new primitiveType[100];

so since the array takes 12 byte as a header the calc is:

12(header)+100(size)*primitiveType(which can be any datatype listed above).

so in that case the allocated memory for each looks like that:

byte = 112

short = 212

int = 412

long = 812

;)

So according to your estimations, how much do you think you can reduce the average memory usage ( % ) ? Can you get it down to -50% ? How many human-work-hours do you think this will take ? And how are you going to keep updating a pack along with 2-3 other devs, when the competitors ( l2j / l2jfree ) have at least 10 developers coding ?

So according to your estimations, how much do you think you can reduce the average memory usage ( % ) ? Can you get it down to -50% ? How many human-work-hours do you think this will take ? And how are you going to keep updating a pack along with 2-3 other devs, when the competitors ( l2j / l2jfree ) have at least 10 developers coding ?

-50 no but it can save up 25-30mb from memory footprint(at startup) as far as my experimenting goes with l2j so its still good.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...